Beatstep Pro with Moog gear.

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Dapifer

Beatstep Pro with Moog gear.

Post by Dapifer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:49 pm

Hi all, hoping someone can help me with a couple of queries here. I purchased an Arturia Beatstep pro yesterday, mainly to sequence my Make Noise 0-Coast but I also want to try it with my Moog Gear (Sub 37 and Moogerfoogers)

Firstly with Midi, I am sending Midi out from the BSP into the Sub 37, midi notes are all fine but I'm finding the clock sync on the Sub 37 isn't quite as tight as when I use my Analog Rytm as master, I tend to notice that it's slightly off when doing things like looping envelopes.
The new setup goes Analog Rytm>BSP>Sub 37 but the sync is noticeably not as tight as Analog Rytm>Sub 37 (sometimes Ableton is the main master clock of all this btw)

Secondly I want to try sending CV to the Sub 37 and 104m&102 Moogerfoogers, I know that the Moog gear is 5v but the BSP is 10v. To avoid frying my gear would one of these attenuator cables be safe to use or are there still risks involved? http://www.juno.co.uk/products/koma-ele ... 608838-01/

I'm thinking if the sync issue is just the nature of having the BSP in the middle of the chain like that, then maybe a workaround is to send midi clock from AR to both BSP and Sub37 but send CV notes to the Sub 37 from the BSP. Obviously the Sub 37 has a perfectly capable sequencer of it's own but it would be nice to be able to play around with both options.

Thanks.

dave500

Re: Beatstep Pro with Moog gear.

Post by dave500 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:12 pm

Update your Beatstep Pro
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

peterlanders

Post by peterlanders » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:29 pm

The big BeatStep Pro firmware update a couple weeks back added the ability to scale the 'velocity' CV to whatever you need, including 5V. The gate is still locked at 10V, I have no idea if that's an issue but I'm using one of those attenuators cables there just in case.

BSP 2.0 works wonderfully with my Model D reissue. Lots of places you can use that 'velocity' voltage.

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:55 am

kick!! Ok i just worked a crap load of OT last week and have some extra $ to play around with for toys... currently I'm only using a Korg sq1 thru a midi solutions quadra thru to play the same sequence to my minitaur, LP solar edition, mom32, microkorg and my new blue monologue. (yes,i have logic express9 running on 10.6.8 but i never figured that out enough, so... aka forget the DAW scenario, i record live to my h4n pro anyway)... and it's all just goofiness for my own sanity, BUT I'd like to kinda get a bit more "serious/complex" about things and have seen some of you mention the BSP w/regard to moog gear.

is it worth dropping $250?? other options?? ... not looking to drop too much into this at the moment, but the BSP looks like a good option/step up from the sq1.

thanks

edit: i did FINALLY upgrade my '07 imac to 10.11.6, the last one it'll handle
Last edited by kn_s on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

neolithic

Post by neolithic » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:08 pm

Hey. I sold my BSP just before Christmas. There are some things I love about it, but it's too restrictive for me. 2 tracks and 1 drum track doesn't get very far, so I found myself having to fire up the DAW which kind of negated the whole point for me - I wanted a standalone old skool sequencer that I could just switch on and get creative without dicking around with a computer.
Apart from only two monophonic tracks, step-entry is a PIA, the resolution is low so everything is quantised, like it of not and reassigning drums to pads needs you to plug it into your pc to use the software config tool.

So anyway, I sold it and bought a Squarp Pyramid which is a game changer! It has more tracks than you will need, polyphonic and high resolution, so even jazz riffs are recorded flawlessly. MIDI cc is easy to do and it handles CV both in and out. You should check it out - I think I paid 500 Euros but it's the best spend I've made in years!

Good luck!
Neo
Currently using Moog Voyager, Nord Stage 2, Prophet 08, Rolands, Squarp Pyramid, Blofeld... Strymon BigSky helps the analogs be epic

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:53 pm

neolithic wrote:Hey. I sold my BSP just before Christmas. There are some things I love about it, but it's too restrictive for me. 2 tracks and 1 drum track doesn't get very far, so I found myself having to fire up the DAW which kind of negated the whole point for me - I wanted a standalone old skool sequencer that I could just switch on and get creative without dicking around with a computer.
Apart from only two monophonic tracks, step-entry is a PIA, the resolution is low so everything is quantised, like it of not and reassigning drums to pads needs you to plug it into your pc to use the software config tool.

So anyway, I sold it and bought a Squarp Pyramid which is a game changer! It has more tracks than you will need, polyphonic and high resolution, so even jazz riffs are recorded flawlessly. MIDI cc is easy to do and it handles CV both in and out. You should check it out - I think I paid 500 Euros but it's the best spend I've made in years!

Good luck!
Neo

that looks sweet! $450 dollars more expensive sweeter but looks loads more useful and powerful. time to start saving and working more overtime!!
thanks for the suggestion

ken
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

neolithic

Post by neolithic » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:35 am

Start saving those beans, you won't regret it! :D
Currently using Moog Voyager, Nord Stage 2, Prophet 08, Rolands, Squarp Pyramid, Blofeld... Strymon BigSky helps the analogs be epic

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:09 pm

neolithic wrote:Start saving those beans, you won't regret it! :D
... then moog drops the dfam and korg drops the prologue .... wallet winces in pain at the thought of opening up for more gear! plus/minus i ended up using said OT cash for a tool i needed for work (i'm a plumber by day)