Where Do I Go From Here?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Joscuzz

Where Do I Go From Here?

Post by Joscuzz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:47 am

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and, indeed, new to Moog gear. I have recently invested in developing a simple analog rig (simple enough for a "fresher" that is) to get away from staring at a non-responsive computer screen with a DAW spanned across it all day. My rig currently consists of: Minitaur, CP-251, EP-3 and the MF 05 Delay pedal. Lovin' the exploration and sound sculpturing so far.

My intention is to have a set of desktop units rather than a large synth. I am interested in a sequencer but don't think Moog manufacture this (correct me please) yet. The MoogerFoogers look very appealing too. My question is this: Where do I go from here? I could probably stretch my finances to expand into one more unit (for now hehe) and need your advice and opinions as to which piece of hardware I should turn to next.

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks.
Strictly no bubblegum: Moog Minitaur, MF102, CP-251, EP-3, Komplete Kontrol S25, Maschine Jam, GAP PreQ-73, GAP Comp-54 MKII, TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay, Spark, Dark Matter.

Kirneh Ness

Re: Where Do I Go From Here?

Post by Kirneh Ness » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:02 pm

You are entering an endless territory. :D

I am a newbie myself. Mainly a guitar player, I have started to embrace synths as I started getting Moogerfoogers for my guitar rig. I would recommend the MF-102 Ring Modulator. It gives so much, and is among the "cheaper" MFs.

As for sequencers, I am sure some are much more competent in giving advice, but I got a Beatstep Pro, which works fine for me (I think is is good for the price). Beware using its cv controls as Arturia uses 10v max, which is not liked by Moog gear (max 5v). You will then need attentuators (you already have some in the CP 251), or just go midi if you are not a purist. With the BSP and a Minitaur you can be busy for a long time.

EDIT: BSP has just released new firmware which should make the saving capabilities of sequences better.
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

Joscuzz

Post by Joscuzz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:42 pm

Thank you Kirneh. Endless territory for sure.

I'll look into the ring modulator and how I could use it and, indeed, the Beatstep Pro. I also come from a guitar background with a passion for abstract art. So this is about creating gesture, sound sculpting and pure escapism. Exciting times ahead!
Strictly no bubblegum: Moog Minitaur, MF102, CP-251, EP-3, Komplete Kontrol S25, Maschine Jam, GAP PreQ-73, GAP Comp-54 MKII, TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay, Spark, Dark Matter.

peterlanders

Post by peterlanders » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:31 pm

The new BeatStep Pro firmware also adds CV scaling for the velocity CV out, so you can set the range to 5V instead of 10V, no extra attenuator required. Works wonderfully with my Minimoog reissue. Just patch the velocity CV to the filter CV in (or loudness, not sure if it would make sense with mod source) and you can sequence your modulation.

I honestly have no idea if the 10V gate is a concern with the reissue; I've seen almost no information out there. I mean, even the Etherwave Plus puts out a 10V gate and *that* manual says modern Moog hardware is protected. That said, I'm using one of those little attenuator cables anyway.

Took a while to figure out how to get everything talking properly, with the notes all lining up properly, but once I did there's endless fun to be had. The BSP is an amazing machine.

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:26 am

this becomes a wormhole of $$$ spending. based on what you say you have, i'd say you are good for some time. i went overload moog wise, from basically an all guitar/ pedal based background to getting the minitaur, little phatty solar edition, all the moogerfoogers, a few minifoogers(2 delays and drive), werkstatt and mother32. I'm still figuring it all out!! yes, i bought a ton of korg stuff too (volcas, monotron/tribe) and i am very happy with that stuff too and the sq1 has been good to me(via midi) but i feel i still am just scratching at the surface of what i can do. i am soooooo still learning!!! it's all about time on each part, i think. you are not alone on this group. a lot of the people on here are awesome at helping! welcome to the gang! also i came from a art based background studying sculpture with sound as my medium and i am now a plumber. so..... i'll admit the ring mod was my gateway drug!
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

Joscuzz

Post by Joscuzz » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:33 pm

I totally get the "obsessive disorder" about gear lust and how in monetary terms it's potentially a ruination but I'm a lost cause already!

I accept what you say as solid advice: I need to chill for a while with my current rig and get it rocking before a further binge.

Cheers guys, I appreciate your posts.

Joscuzz

Post by Joscuzz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 am

Just to update the thread: I have ordered the MF102 Ring Modulator and should receive within 24 hours!

Thanks again for all the advice.

Joscuzz

Post by Joscuzz » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:14 pm

Took delivery of the MF103 Phaser today. Think it's time to stop and take it all in now. Excited!!

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:19 pm

Too late to recommend the Doepfer Dark Time, though if you wanted to keep a small desktop footprint, the Mother-32 (or a couple of them) might keep you going for awhile.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Joscuzz

Post by Joscuzz » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:09 am

Too late to recommend the Doepfer Dark Time, though if you wanted to keep a small desktop footprint, the Mother-32 (or a couple of them) might keep you going for awhile.
Hi EricK. I did look very seriously at the Doepfer Dark Time sequencer. It definitely fits the bill and looks like the dream ticket, however, budget restrictions kicked in and I couldn't raise the cash for all of my immediate needs (or gear-lust desires) so I opted for the Korg SQ-1 instead. One for the future though.

Similarly, I have drooled over the prospect of owning a Mother-32 and I will go as far as to say that this unit could be my next purchase when the money tree blossoms again!

Cheers.

exerda

Post by exerda » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:20 pm

I have a similar question as the OP. I have a Sub37, Minitaur, all the Moogerfoogers, a Korg SQ1, nad a Korg Volca Beats.

I love running the Volca Beats through the MF-101. I use the SQ1 to drive the Minitaur and then hit it with the MF-107 for some really heady distorted sounds. The Sub 37 gets the rest of the Moogerfoogers (I'm partial to the MF-108 and of course the gorgeous MF-104M.

My question, though, is: Where do I go from here?

I'm considering a Doepfer Dark Time (as a big upgrade from the SQ1) or a Dave Smith Tempest (an even bigger upgrade from the Volca Beats). I've lusted a bit for the Subsequent 37, but although it is an improvement, it's not something *new* to my rig, really.

Suggestions beyond or aside from the Dark Time or Tempest?

Joscuzz

Post by Joscuzz » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Hi Exerda ,
I've just bought a second-hand Future Retro Orb sequencer from eBay and should receive delivery tomorrow. After spending some time with the Sq-1, which I like, I came to learn that I needed more functionality especially pattern recall and saving. It looks like a whole lot of fun!

I'm aware of the Cv voltage rates being higher than the Moog 5V standard and, although I have a CP-251, I could try to attenuate the voltage but I'm going to stick with Midi control when using the Orb and use the SQ-1 CVs for additional modulation as and when required.

The Waldorf 2Pole Filter is on it's way as well. I felt that I needed some extra modulation and processing in the signal flow so I've spent up and that is me done and dusted for a long time!

I'll update the thread soon. Good luck!