Newbie question

Everything Sub.
lizard king

Newbie question

Post by lizard king » Wed May 17, 2017 7:51 pm

I just created my first sound....not very much - just a little envelope mods to the init setup. It will work for the song I'm learning. I figured out how to add vibrato with Mod1 and the tone wheel but how do I program aftertouch to add vibrato?

Thanks.
Sub 37, DM12, MF-102, MF-104, Kurz Forte, Kurz 361, Hammond M-111, Leslie 860 & way too many guitars

DrJustice

Re: Newbie question

Post by DrJustice » Thu May 18, 2017 11:43 am

- Press the CONTROLLERS button in the MOD 1 section to bring up the MOD 1 CONTROL menu.
- Set MODHWEEL to 0%, VEOLCITY to 0% and AFTERTOUCH to 100% (or the desired amount).

Having done that, aftertouch is now controlling the amount of modulation for MOD 1. You can set any combination of control amount for MODHWEEL, VEOLCITY and AFTERTOUCH. It's the same procedure for MOD 2 section when you get to using that.

lizard king

Post by lizard king » Thu May 18, 2017 7:48 pm

That worked great (didn't think I had to do any menu diving with the Sub37. Now I know better.)

Next question:

I'm not sure how to ask this one.
I have the attack pushed back about half way to get a slight delay to the attack. It works fine when I'm playing - do you call it legato - releasing one key before pressing the next. However if I press another key before releasing the previous key the attack setting seems to be ignored and I either get a volume jump or a click. How can I force the attack value to be applied in this case?

Thanks!!!!
Sub 37, DM12, MF-102, MF-104, Kurz Forte, Kurz 361, Hammond M-111, Leslie 860 & way too many guitars

aux.tech

Post by aux.tech » Thu May 18, 2017 8:29 pm

lizard king wrote:That worked great (didn't think I had to do any menu diving with the Sub37. Now I know better.)

Next question:

I'm not sure how to ask this one.
I have the attack pushed back about half way to get a slight delay to the attack. It works fine when I'm playing - do you call it legato - releasing one key before pressing the next. However if I press another key before releasing the previous key the attack setting seems to be ignored and I either get a volume jump or a click. How can I force the attack value to be applied in this case?

Thanks!!!!
Enable Multi-trig. That should do it

lizard king

Post by lizard king » Thu May 18, 2017 8:49 pm

I had tried multi trig - thought it should work....it doesn't seem to change anything. Is there something I have to adjust to make it work?

I'm using the A ADSR bank.

chrizzle84

Post by chrizzle84 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:43 am

you have a filter ADSR and an amplifier ADSR - try both attack times and multitrigger. also a slow filter attack can sound like a volume attack in some cases.
also be sure that the button below the upper ADSR knobs is not on, that would mean that the ADSR knobs control other functions.

if nothing works, make a screenshot of the editor settings and post it here - we'll figure this out!

cheers
christoph

aux.tech

Post by aux.tech » Fri May 19, 2017 5:34 am

chrizzle84 wrote:you have a filter ADSR and an amplifier ADSR - try both attack times and multitrigger. also a slow filter attack can sound like a volume attack in some cases.
also be sure that the button below the upper ADSR knobs is not on, that would mean that the ADSR knobs control other functions.

if nothing works, make a screenshot of the editor settings and post it here - we'll figure this out!

cheers
christoph
Yeah, I'm now thinking this has to be the Filter envelope (the top envelope on the sub 37). Also in the filter section of the sub 37 there is a knob for EG (the Filter's Envelope Generator) amount and one for KB (Keyboard) Tracking. Adjusting these can really influence the sound. Adjusting those might not get you what you want today, but I would still recommend messing with those a bit too (especially the EG Amount knob), and see how that changes the way your sound is filtered.

lizard king

Post by lizard king » Fri May 19, 2017 8:08 am

Good suggestions....

I knew about the shift button....tried the shifted functions to see if they did anything....didn't seem to do much, shifted back

I started with a very basic init. I'm only using one osc and I didn't think I was doing any filtering other than LFO1 on aftertouch so I've been tweaking mostly the A bank of controls - twiddling F bank has no effect on the sound.

I'm looking for a basic "flutty" sound. If I was a better player I'd just play it legato but sometimes I hit the next key before I release the previous. It's not a huge deal but I'm trying to learn. I've had analog synths before (have a DM12 now) but this is the first one I ever bothered to try to learn - did something really crazy already, I read the manual (gasp).

I'll try some of your suggestions when I get home tonight.

Cheers!

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sat May 20, 2017 7:31 am

lizard king wrote:twiddling F bank has no effect on the sound.

I'm looking for a basic "flutty" sound.
Make sure the waveform has a very bright sound when the filter is opened (fully clockwise), then move it to 12 o'clock and put the EG AMT anywhere but at 12 o'clock.

I don't know what you mean by "flutty"
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

lizard king

Post by lizard king » Sat May 20, 2017 7:24 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg
Seems like a flute has a slow attack naturally. I'm trying for the 1st lead in the intro to Kansas Portriat.

I wonder in my multi trig is not working.

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Sun May 21, 2017 11:08 am

Please find a flute like sound attached. If you try Multi Trig on the filter and amplifier envelopes it should be clearly audible when you play legato (playing a new key before releasing the previous). BTW, use mod wheel with the attached patch for modulation, also velocity and aftertouch.

Have you installed the editor/librarian? It's very useful for seeing how patches are made and for managing presets.
Attachments
Flute 1.ZIP
(361 Bytes) Downloaded 127 times

lizard king

Post by lizard king » Mon May 22, 2017 7:44 am

THANKS!
I installed the editor on my computer but haven't had time to try it out yet; hopefully this week.