Moog IIIC vs. Moog 55

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
thedangore

Moog IIIC vs. Moog 55

Post by thedangore » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:55 pm

Awesome news to hear moog is reproducing the Moog IIIC! Curious to hear others thoughts with more modular experience on the differences between it and the System 55? Other than the seemingly most obvious ten 901 series oscillators taking the place of the 921s. Even that, I'm not sure exactly how big a deal that is on the sound?
There are some other new modules I personally (though they've been around for years) hadn't really heard of before like a filter coupler, the spring reverb unit and the 984 four channel mixer section.... No real idea what changes/limitations/advantages this unit brings compared to the System 55, but I would love to hear your thoughts!

noddyspuncture

Re: Moog IIIC vs. Moog 55

Post by noddyspuncture » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:53 pm

The 901's sound so much nicer than the 921's...!

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:46 pm

I designed my modular to be a hybrid of the IIIp and 55. The 984 can be a crucial part of the sound. The IIIc is probably the better synth of the two but to be honest, having the tone of the 901s, the functionality of the 921s, and more filter sections really make custom systems more appealing, especially when you keep the sequencer AND the 984.

The ability of the 921s to do cross modulation is incredible.
The EQ in addition to the routing possibilities of the 984 are a real advantage provided you have a slew of modifiers to integrate with.

Really, since the advent of the minimoog, the modulars are a bit anachronistic. That being said these units (either one) are about TONE.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:38 am

Maybe it's a idea to accept orders for single modules ?
Let someone produce them on request and see if it runs esp the 901's and 921 and filters .
( and on the normal format, not 500series or so)
Seen several companies selling clones of banks of 3 etc
Just make sure they'll get a universal poweradapter ( synth.com or adapter included )
What's there to lose ?
Just get the modular world hooked ( even more) on moogosc. etc ...:-)
Last edited by sunny pedaal on Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:43 am

Other thing might be a werkstatt poly...
And a sub37 plus
But oke now i'm drifting off a bit :-)

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:46 pm

They definitely should have allowed some of us to purchase some modules via pre-order like they did with the Taurus 3.

I just want to HEAR the Moog modular in person.

thedangore

Post by thedangore » Tue May 09, 2017 11:50 pm

So does anyone have any knowledge/experience/resources on the 984 Matrix Mixer (besides Moogarchive) and what it does exactly? Allows for polyphonic oscillator sources to be mixed and EQ'd? I can't find any video demonstrations of a Moog IIIC using it's matrix mixer (doesn't mean there aren't any, i just haven't found them yet). I'm just trying to understand what the difference in workflow might be between a system 55 and a IIIC since that takes the place of a sequencer. What other helpful modules are missed on the IIIC that a 55 would have or vise versa? Lastly, which one of these systems (55 or IIIC) would be of more value to you in the end and why? Thanks for the thoughts!

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed May 10, 2017 11:47 am

Whatever you plug into channels 1,2,3, and 4 can appear anywhere on A,B,C, or D.

In addition to simply processing audio, it will allow you to route your signals to various modifiers. So in the middle of a lead you can completely change the filters you were sending your oscillators to. The EQ is also handy and the 984 can function nicely as an effects send.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLrcdBpZHBUn

I'd probably go with the IIIC because if you really wanted to get an expansion system you could get a few 921s from Mos-Lab and a sequencer to boot, but those 901 oscillators are prime!

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:20 am

I do it the other way round: started with sh cotk system 15 , now expanded with synthwerk 901's and mos-lab filters