Stomp Box Pedals that Work With Synths (Digital, Analog)

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
hofi

Re: Stomp Box Pedals that Work With Synths (Digital, Analog)

Post by hofi » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:06 pm

I Voyager Electric Blue and bought a Minimoog Model D in 2016. What effect reverb recommend these instruments? I use the Hall Of Fame and working properly, and fatally running EHX Cathedral. I know that great is the RE-201 and Big Sky, anything else? I also have a Sub 37 and Slim Phatty.

EHX Cathedral gives a distortion in the upper registers. I want to keep warm analog sound.

weary

Post by weary » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:30 pm

hofi wrote:I Voyager Electric Blue and bought a Minimoog Model D in 2016. What effect reverb recommend these instruments?
I have HOF too, plus BigSky and vermona VSR-3, and absolutely love them.Take a look to Ekdahl Moisturiser, vermona retroverb lancet, strymon blue sky.
Voyager PE, VX-351, 2xCP-251, LittlePhatty SE II, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M

dirx808

Post by dirx808 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:45 am

I just grabbed a Boss CE-2W (Waza Craft Chorus) after a LONG search for a good chorus pedal. I am blown away by it and very satisfied. I was looking for something that could get me close to that ultra-fat bass sound from the Roland Junos. Research indicated the circuits are very similar and fully analog. Excellent build quality, great stereo, and SUPER fat. A bit pricey but worth it for sure. I'm currently using it on the Minitaur after the MF Drive.

I also like the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone for some serious distortion. It's EQ allows for a lot of flexibility in carving out a tone. It definitely is not a warm overdrive pedal, it is a thrashing noise machine... Which I love (on occasion). Running it with synced oscillators and pitch bend gives a chainsaw-like tearing noise. Very industrial. Not for everyone but it has it's place.
New Moogs: Sub 37, Minitaur - Ableton Live 9, Cubase 9, WaveLab 9 - Duet, UAD Apollo Twin + Octo - MacBook Air (10.11.6), Mac mini x2 (10.12.3) - MiniFooger Delay (x2), Drive and Chorus -- Legacy: Prodigy (Rev. 1), Juno-60, DX7 (Rev. 1 + Grey Matter E!)

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:11 pm

I highly recommend the Source Audio Nemesis Delay pedal. Great build quality, stereo I/O, MIDI-capable, and a well written,full-featured user manual. Not cheap at $299, but considerably less expensive than the Strymon Timeline (closest competitor, IHO).

Site:
http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/one ... _delay.php

YouTube explorations with keys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBzYXtP0jX4

** EDIT **
Another related video (added 3/14/17):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKB1bjr4kDg

:D
Greg
Last edited by GregAE on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:58 pm

I tweaked it a few minutes at a friend's and I confirm this one seems serious.

Not a stompbox but I recently managed to set up my Boss RX100 spring reverb for wet only output: sounds de-fi-nit-ely good! Warm, natural, uneditable reverb as I like them :)

For the record, I'm not fond of ultra-clean reverbs alla Stymon or TC. I love the Boss RE20's one, which unique setting is volume.
BTW I recently got myself an EHX Turnip Greens: Soud Food + holy Grail max in a box, with ability to invert the FX order and with an FX loop in between. That holy grail max is so cool...

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:23 pm

I kinda forgot about this thread until i stumbled upon it again a few days ago. I can't speak for absolute sonic clarity, but I can say I have been really rocking out to my m32 hooked to my akai headrush e2 running on tape echo mode utilizing the outputs for heads 1 and 4, with head 1 running straight into my hall of fame (set to church) and head 4 running thru my recently acquired cheapo behringer vd400 vintage delay before going into the hall of fame then out to a stereo mix (actually 2 guitar practice amps because i was lazy and wanted immediate results). I've been planning on hooking all 4 heads up separately with a different delay for each head output before going into mixer. It's trippy as hell with just the 2 channels!! Maybe in a week or so after work dies down I'll record an example and toss it up on my soundcloud.

Great topic by the way!!!
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:36 am

kn_s wrote: I have been really rocking out to my m32 hooked to my akai headrush e2 running on tape echo mode utilizing the outputs for heads 1 and 4, with head 1 running straight into my hall of fame (set to church) and head 4 running thru my recently acquired cheapo behringer vd400 vintage delay before going into the hall of fame then out to a stereo mix (actually 2 guitar practice amps because i was lazy and wanted immediate results).
The Akai Headrush is a very cool and unique delay! I've often wondered about taking all 4 tape head outputs, putting each through other effects, and then into four amps placed around the room. I would expect it to be a very trippy surround-sound experience!
kn_s wrote:Maybe in a week or so after work dies down I'll record an example and toss it up on my soundcloud.
Love to hear it! :D

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Mon May 08, 2017 6:52 am

I get great results with the Belle Epoch on a send. It's supposed to lose some bass because that's what the Echoplex EP3 does. From the manual:
The Echoplex was not necessarily “hi- fi”. As the echoes repeated, the signal got progressively degraded, losing low end and gaining a shiny, percussive top end with a bit of grit. The first repeat is strong and then it gets more and more diffused as it repeats.
I had an Re 20 for a while but the longer I had it the less I liked it. I didn't think it suited the Voyager that well. It definitely sounds better on some things than others and I didn!t like it when pushed into overdrive. The patterns it does are good though.

If pedals you want to use can't handle line level it's worth investing in a reamping box and DI/preamp to match levels.
Last edited by Acid Mitch on Tue May 09, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon May 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Here's a video I recently released called:

How to Choose Effects Pedals for Your Synths

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGcmuI8yjbQ

Although not a Moog, I am using a true analog synth, the Korg Minilogue, to play pure Sawtooth waves.

As mentioned by others in this thread, you may need to keep your synth's volume at 75% (or so) to keep some of these pedals from clipping.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon May 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Here's a new video that was released today:

Pedals to Make Your Guitar Sound Like a Synth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z1Ju9biGZE

Although we're using guitars as input devices, you may find that most of these pedals are also interesting for synths.

In particular:
Ring Thing
Superego
Bit Commander
Arpanoid
Bubbletron
Echolution2 Ultra Pro Delay
Rainbow Machine
H9 MAX
RV-6 Reverb
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Wed May 10, 2017 2:56 pm

This isn't exactly a pedal, as there is no "bypass" switch. It has a power button on the back. Anyway, the Vermona Retroverb Lancet is the most interesting effect box I've ever used, and it sounds fabulous on anything you run through it. Analog multimode filter and a real spring reverb which can be set pre or post filter. Also has an LFO that can modulate the filter freq or amplitude, and an envelope generator that can be triggered by external audio input or control voltages. I'm working on writing a full, multi-page review on the thing, but for now just take my word for it! I use it for all sorts of things: guitar, vocals, synthesizers, drum machines, cassette recordings... Oh, I forgot to mention that the internal amp can be driven to distortion just by turning the gain knob up past 50%. Really nice, crunchy overdrive sound. Going back to the reverb: spring reverb has become my favorite type of reverb after getting tired of the Eventide "shimmer" style that seems so popular these days, yet sounds exactly the same no matter what you run through it. I found that I'm not really into "clean" sounding instruments or devices, which is why I've sold off most of my professional gear and perform / record mostly with toys now (aside from the few choice pieces, of course). Sorry for the tangents. The Retroverb Lancet costs quite a lot, I think $600 new, but I think it's absolutely worth the price tag. I was fortunate enough to find one locally on Craigslist for $475 so I jumped on it.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed May 10, 2017 6:09 pm

Kenneth wrote:spring reverb has become my favorite type of reverb after getting tired of the Eventide "shimmer" style that seems so popular these days, yet sounds exactly the same no matter what you run through it. I found that I'm not really into "clean" sounding instruments or devices
I've been in the same boat for some years now, good to hear someone sharing the taste of dirt :)
On a side note, since I've also been interested in plate reverbs, I wonder in what extent I like the idea of using old, limited devices, but that's another topic.

Kenneth (and all), in my quest for a nice spring reverb, I remember having read about the Retroverb Lancet. Maybe I was more into vintage stuff at that time, or maybe I wanted something simpler. I got a Carl Martin Headroom which is not adapted to synth input levels, and I realized I missed a lot the possibility of having 100% wet sound. I remember finding out the Demeter RV1 that has this possibility, and finding out it was too rare on the used market to be expected.

A few months ago, I took the opportunity of getting a Boss RX-100 (same as Roland RV-100): not a proper pedal neither, but GREAT spring reverb. I think the engineers used some pre-spring filtering trick because it has a very balanced tone, not twangy at all. Plus I discovered that no mod was necessary for having 100% wet sound :) For Eur 150-200, I highly recommend this one.

More recently, I also took the plunge for a brand I'd been wondering about for years: Van Amps. I got a Sole Mate with the "Wet & Mixed Ouptut" modification: sounds great too, far dirtier than the Boss, other character.

I may look to the ads for the Retroverb Lancet in the forthcoming days... ahlala... :)

Kirneh Ness

Post by Kirneh Ness » Wed May 10, 2017 6:11 pm

Kenneth wrote:Vermona Retroverb Lancet
This appears as a great, great unit (so you do own something that makes me jealous :D ). Almost a Moogerfooger-style unit (times 4-5). Would this successfully become a small analog synthesizer with the oscillator of the Freqbox (controlled by a cv keyboard)?

Thanks for mentioning it (I have looked at the close competitor, The Ekdahl Moisturizer, but it is rarely available in my parts of the world - the Vermona is)!
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Thu May 11, 2017 4:18 am

I notice Proco Rat on the good list on page one. I thought it sounded pretty bad without a reamping box in front of it. Not only does feeding the Rat the correct impedance get you a better sound, it gets you a wider range of usable tones.
Only downside to the Rat is that it has quite a high noisefloor compared to other pedals( well compared to anything, lol ) I've tried. I have to use a noise gate with it.

@DemonDan and Gregae - thanks for the videos. Most helpful.

Does anyone know if Moog are going to make more MF104's ?
I tried to buy one last year but was about a week too late to catch the last of the UK stock. They also disappeared from most dealers outside UK around the same time and the few that were left on Ebay doubled their price.
The Moog website says "find a dealer" and nothing about them being discontinued, even though none of the dealers have had them for ages.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu May 11, 2017 11:48 am

Acid Mitch wrote:I notice Proco Rat on the good list on page one. I thought it sounded pretty bad without a reamping box in front of it. Not only does feeding the Rat the correct impedance get you a better sound, it gets you a wider range of usable tones.
I must have been the author of that :)
I actually use the RAT with a very low drive setting, just enough to get some mid frequencies and very, very little saturation. Using a reamp box shall certainly work better, but I must say I'm happy like this and tend to keep things light.
I may try this some day though...