Microphone > Sub 37 ?

Everything Sub.
cyberghostx13

Microphone > Sub 37 ?

Post by cyberghostx13 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:11 pm

Hello. I am new here and brand new to the world of synthesizers and Moog. I haven't gotten my 37 yet but will receive in a few days. My question is, can I run a Microphone into my Sub 37? Thanks.
Route66 To Orion

breun

Re: Microphone > Sub 37 ?

Post by breun » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:50 pm

The EXT IN is an unbalanced input that accepts a line-level signal. A microphone signal is weaker than a line-level signal, so I guess you'd need a microphone amplifier between your mic and synth to get the signal from the mic up to line level. I have no idea if it would sound any good, but you can always try. :)

cyberghostx13

Post by cyberghostx13 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:03 pm

Thanks Breun. I only asked because I have already bought a iRig Pro and an iRig Microphone, but that was based on my Plan A.(Moog Etherwave Plus Theremin and MoogerFooger LF 101). I am returning these items today and re-embursement cost to help pay for my 37. I have un-opened iRig Pro already and the iRig Mic is in transit. So I'm trying to see if I should keep or return these items and from what I see from your answer maybe I should. Do you have any further comment or advice on this issue? Thank you much. Kerry.
Route66 To Orion

Tsaddeous

Post by Tsaddeous » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:13 pm

Use the aux send of a mixer (mackie or other) do the job to send a microphone signal properly into your sub 37.

cyberghostx13

Post by cyberghostx13 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks Tsaddeous. Well I don't have a mixer, however I have bought a Korg Kaoss Pad Pro 3 Dynamic Effect/Sampler. I will learn both the 37 and Kaoss but separately. Somewhere down the road I will try the MIDI stuff. As far as the Mic goes that wait as well. So very much to learn. I have bought a couple books and I found an APP called Ask Video specifically for the Moog Sub 37, time of lessons combined is around two hours, not bad for $6.99 and will work with Apple AirPlay. Thanks for your help.
Route66 To Orion

epimeleiaheautou

Post by epimeleiaheautou » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:34 am

There are also pre-amp style pedals such as the JHS Colour Box that include 1/4 and XLR ins / outs that you may want to consider if you do not need a full mixer setup.

cyberghostx13

Post by cyberghostx13 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:37 pm

Thanks epime. I wasn't so sure about a mixer as that came late in my equation. I already have bought a Moog Sub 37, Korg Kaoss Pad Pro 3 Dynamic Effect/Sampler, Electro Harmonic VoiceBox, IK Multimedia iMic Condenser Microphone and a Behringer Ultratone KX1800 FX 180 Watt Keyboard Amplifier. I also have purchased Roland SD 2u Recorder. What I think I'll get after doing a lot of research is the Yamaha MG06 6 Input Stereo Mixer with effects for $124.95. It has all the Mic XLR/1/4 hook-ups I need and the product is not that old to the market at 2014. Reviews were very good at Amazon. I going to go one step at a time and concentrate on the Moog Sub 37 and Electro Harmonic VoiceBox first and it will be awhile before I do any experimental recording. Question however, the order of appearance/connection. Moog 37 in/out thru Voicebox, along with iMic, VoiceBox to Yamaha Mixer, Korg Kaoss Pro Pad 3 to Yamaha Mixer, and finally Yamaha Mixer to Behringer Amp. When I do record(experimental) would it be better to connect my Roland SD 2u to the Yamaha Mixer or connect it to the Behringer Amp? Thanks. Thanks to all who are helping me so far with this grand adventure in sound. Sincerely, cyberghostx13.
Route66 To Orion