Sluggish keyboard and notes

Everything Sub.
tonyperdue76

Sluggish keyboard and notes

Post by tonyperdue76 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:06 pm

Hi everyone!
I am new here, and I am also new to the synth game. I bought a Sub 37 recently, but I have yet to really delve into it. I am primarily a singer/songwriter/guitarist, but I am always interested in trying new things.
I have only been able to mess around with some presets so far, but I am a little frustrated with how quickly I can play the notes. I understand that I cannot play more than 2 notes at a time on this thing, but there is a very long delay of sound coming out when I play one key and try to play another. I can slam down the keys pretty hard and only some notes will play. It feels like I should be able to quickly play notes up and down the keyboard, but it does not let me do that. I did try and adjust the note Cal, pressure Cal, and pitch Cal. My question is.. Is this normal? Like I said, I am a synth newbie, so I may not have something set up correctly. I just want to know if it's me, or if I have a defective unit. Thanks in advance, and please be gentle, It's my first time.

Chimponaut

Re: Sluggish keyboard and notes

Post by Chimponaut » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:30 pm

Mess around with the keyboard priority modes. In the global menu look for "Kb Priority." Set this to Last. With this setting the last note played has priority and will sound immediately. In the other modes, the last played note may not sound until the previous note is released.
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo

tonyperdue76

Post by tonyperdue76 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks Chimponaut!
I did mess around with that setting, but I assumed setting the keyboard priority on last would make it even slower, so I did not try that. I will give that a whirl when I get home today.

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:42 pm

The notes will play faster if you set the attack to a shorter/smaller value.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

tonyperdue76

Post by tonyperdue76 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:44 pm

Hmm.. I tried changing the keyboard priority to last, and I also made sure the attack was all the way down. It seems to still be doing the same thing. :/

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:43 pm

Just a shot in the dark but...

By any chance do you have a MIDI feedback loop happening?

In other words, does the sluggishness still exist if no MIDI or USB cables are connected?

It's at least worth testing if you haven't already.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

mrkennethdel

Post by mrkennethdel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:07 pm

An init patch is where to begin diagnosing this.

tonyperdue76

Post by tonyperdue76 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Hmm...Good idea Demon Dan. It's worth a try. I do have a midi cable plugged into it. I had it synced up to my drum machine. I was so entranced by the lights and the synced arp with my drum machine, that it was not till later that I tried to play it more like a straight forward instrument and got frustrated with this issue. Let me try it without the midi cable tonight and see what happens.
mrkennethdel, I have started trying to mess with an init patch, and I am still having the same issue. I bought my sub 37 used from a certain megastore that starts with "guitar". I felt like I was getting a lot better deal than paying for a new one. With it being used, it gives me reason to be a little suspicious about the issue.

I really appreciate yall trying to help out. Everyone's answers in this thread have seemed like logical ideas to try. If I can get this thing doing right soon, I may have to just return it, which is a shame, because it does sound great, and is fun to play around with. I just can not afford a new one right now. I was stretching my budget pretty far with this used one. In my main band I mostly am a singer/ songwriter, playing rockabilly/ outlaw country/rock n roll influenced stuff. My lead guitar player is mad at me for buying a synth. He says it's a tool of the devil.
He is not thrilled about my idea for a Darkwave-a-billy band either. haha

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:21 pm

tonyperdue76 wrote:My lead guitar player is mad at me for buying a synth.
He says it's a tool of the devil.
:evil: "Hail Sub37!" "Hail Sub37!" :evil:
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

breun

Post by breun » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:38 pm

tonyperdue76 wrote:I really appreciate yall trying to help out. Everyone's answers in this thread have seemed like logical ideas to try. If I can get this thing doing right soon, I may have to just return it, which is a shame, because it does sound great, and is fun to play around with.
Before giving up and returning it I'd contact Moog support, they're incredibly helpful people in my experience and probably know more about Moog synths than the average user here on the forums. :D

https://www.moogmusic.com/contact

tonyperdue76

Post by tonyperdue76 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:39 am

Sooo... last night I got the sub 37 hooked up to my laptop and got the editor installed on my computer. I started messing around with it with my 37 connected,
and I found a button in the left hand corner of one of the screens that defaults everything back to factory settings. I did that, and... Hooray! It is working right now!
The Devils Synth is back! :mrgreen:

breun

Post by breun » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:38 pm

Great that you found a solution! Just a note for future reference: you don't need the editor to reset MIDI and GLOBAL settings. You'll find the INIT SETTINGS option in the global menu (3.2) to do this (see page 49 of the Sub 37 1.1 manual).

tonyperdue76

Post by tonyperdue76 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:48 am

That's good to know Breun. Thank yall so much! I have been having a lot of fun with it since I got it working properly. :mrgreen: