Recreating Model D patches on Voyager

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
ryno1

Recreating Model D patches on Voyager

Post by ryno1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:10 am

Hi all, i just got a Voyager finally and loving it!
I was just wondering, as the Voyager doesn't have a sine wave as a selectable waveform as the model D does, would it be possible to recreate the following model d patch?
I've heard people talking about creating a sine by feeding a waveform through the filter, but in the following patch, the sine was just adding weight to the low end while having OSC 2 and 3 prividing bite / squelch and top end which would be controlled by the filter envelope.

Osc 1: Sine (For low sub)
Osc 2: Pulse
Osc 3: Saw

I've only had the Voyager for a day but am trying to use it like a model d, e.g. not use the features that weren't available on the original, and recreate some of my fav bass sounds heard on records from the 80's. I've saved an initialized patch with the Voyager's filter set to dual low pass, etc

Thanks!

Ryan

stiiiiiiive

Re: Recreating Model D patches on Voyager

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:20 am

Hey Ryan, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new baby :)

I suggest you try a triangle wave. The “Sine out of the filter” trick consists in using the filter resonance peak as a generator. The wave form of the peak is sine-ish. Not sure it fits your use case.

Another suggestion is following: sometimes, to get similar results, it’s better using your ears rather than a subset of functionalities. Indeed some parameters may differ from a model D to the Voyager and you may find useful to adjust some others to better approximate the original.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:10 pm

ryno1 wrote:
I've only had the Voyager for a day but am trying to use it like a model d, e.g. not use the features that weren't available on the original
While that isn't a bad approach, it's like buying a modern mustang and then listening to AM stations and only using the lap belts.

Explore its potential! I recently learned that in the early 70s Bob designed a new version of the Minimoog with an equally extensive modulation buss.

Congratulations on your acquisition!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:09 am

I have a model d but did not know the oscillators had sine wave as an option. :lol: What symbol is that on the oscillators? I would look but my owners Manuel is buried in stuff due to a remodel we are doing to my music studio.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:13 pm

ryno1 wrote:Hi all, i just got a Voyager finally and loving it!
I was just wondering, as the Voyager doesn't have a sine wave as a selectable waveform as the model D does, would it be possible to recreate the following model d patch?
I've heard people talking about creating a sine by feeding a waveform through the filter, but in the following patch, the sine was just adding weight to the low end while having OSC 2 and 3 prividing bite / squelch and top end which would be controlled by the filter envelope.

Osc 1: Sine (For low sub)
Osc 2: Pulse
Osc 3: Saw

I've only had the Voyager for a day but am trying to use it like a model d, e.g. not use the features that weren't available on the original, and recreate some of my fav bass sounds heard on records from the 80's. I've saved an initialized patch with the Voyager's filter set to dual low pass, etc

Thanks!

Ryan
I thought you already had a Model D from your previous posts. If you can't make them sound the same then I suggest it's your problem. I can make my VOS sound the same as any MM patch. You've had the Voyager 'for a day' and already opine that you can't use your 'fave bass sound'. Learn the instrument!

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:23 pm

You can show a man where to download the manual, but you can't make him read it.

https://www.moogmusic.com/downloads?pag ... roduct=107
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:36 am

Ledbetter wrote:You can show a man where to download the manual, but you can't make him read it.

https://www.moogmusic.com/downloads?pag ... roduct=107

Would have taken the same effort to just answer the question.... :(

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:48 am

... and so on for every future question ;)

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:25 pm

Hey guise,

I have a Model D and I can't get it to turn on. Do I need to plug it in or sumpin?

Stephen

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:17 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:Hey guise,

I have a Model D and I can't get it to turn on. Do I need to plug it in or sumpin?

Stephen

Did you check if the batteries are properly placed? :lol:
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra