Arpeggiator sync in live band situation

Everything Phatty.
rseymour

Arpeggiator sync in live band situation

Post by rseymour » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:53 pm

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried the little phatty with a live band in arpeggiator mode. I see the sync modes INT, LFO and MIDI ... also there is the key trigger situation.

What I want is the Arpeggiator to always stay on beat with whatever the root note is, just doing simple octaves. But what I find is that... at 60 bpm or something, if it's stepping once a beat and you hit the key, it will hit the octave a second later... now... that's cool as long as you hold that key. But when I hit the second key, it will immediately hit that note, and the octave will come a second after that key press.

But the problem is that I need to be hitting the keys exactly on time with the internal clock... which is obviously not even giving me a click or anything to sync to...

Does anyone understand this question? Do I need to hook it up to a drum machine... put it in latch mode? What?

Sadly this is my buddy's LP SII so I don't have any time to just sit and mess around with it and the manual.

Thanks!
-rich

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:26 pm

I'm sure there is a way to do this, though I dont know how... but, after reading it, I'm just thinking, why don't you put it in latch mode anyway? It would make it a ton easier to do, free up your hand to. When you want it to stop just press the button and it stops. Unless you want it to start and stop a lot with pauses in between... which in that case you would just do it regularly and learn to hit the key on time.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

rseymour

Post by rseymour » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:05 pm

If latch mode does it, than I'm good with that for sure. I will try that ASAP. Sorry for the frustrated tone of my post, I just couldn't stand the way it just... restarted with every keypress... It seems/feels more logical that the pattern would continue regardless of what key until the next note sounds... and that hitting a key wouldn't have an effect on the ... beat so to speak...

in txt form, what happens now is like:

Code: Select all

1 . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4 . . . (this is what the band is playing, etc etc)
and then the arp is:

1 . . .2 . . . 3 . . . .  4 . . .

(in this case, for example, the two is hit early and the four late...  it just messes up everything!)

edit! The original track we're trying to play was done in Ableton, but I have no desire to bring a laptop out for this particular band...

The track is streamable/downloadable here:
http://clark8.bandcamp.com/track/back-to-back
Last edited by rseymour on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HB3

Post by HB3 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:06 pm

I thought for sure this was an issue addressed in one of the updates...

rseymour

Post by rseymour » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:07 pm

HB3! Oh awesome! Ok, I will make sure my buddy updates!

-rich

HB3

Post by HB3 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:36 pm

I thought that you could select between the arp and/or lfo restarting when you press a key and it restarting on the next tick of the clock after you press a key. I know this has been discussed before. Anyone?

rseymour

Post by rseymour » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:38 pm

Yeah, when I posted the question, it was not so much "this thing is broken" it was more like "the default behavior of this arp doesn't make sense and we're too dumb to figure out how to set it!"

Thanks, though, I haven't had time to mess with it and my buddy hasn't responded to my email.

SamEnsuque

Re:

Post by SamEnsuque » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:34 pm

HB3 wrote:I thought that you could select between the arp and/or lfo restarting when you press a key and it restarting on the next tick of the clock after you press a key. I know this has been discussed before. Anyone?
I am a new LP II owner and can't figure out how to set the arp clock so it restarts with every new key press, instead of sticking to an internal clock.
Anyone's got info on this?

Roger Paolo

Re: Arpeggiator sync in live band situation

Post by Roger Paolo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:12 pm

in the arpeggiator settings you find the option Sync Lock. if on, the arp will stay in the same pattern as the first note pressed, when off the arp will start on each new key press