Sub 37 vs Model D

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
bichuelo

Re: Sub 37 vs Model D

Post by bichuelo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:44 am

sub guy wrote:
bichuelo wrote:Some of the features that the Sub 37 has over the Model D can be implemented with the CV I/O, MIDI I/O and a couple more with circuit mods.

It would be great to do a breakdown of each and everyone of them...

Please elaborate. Id like to expand my new Minimoogs capabilities.
I will receive my Model D next week. Hopefully I will upload some videos messing around with the CV inputs and CP-251, EW+ and sending Endless sequences from my OP-1, stay tuned to instagram.com/audiotecna
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:55 pm

jsharpphoto wrote: Bottom line. If it's your first "real" synth? Get the D. You will learn almost everything there is to know about subtractive synthesis on it. The sub37 will confuse you with it's badass witchcraft.
That's about as concise and elegant a summation as you could wish for.

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:13 pm

I had been trying to sell my sub 37 ever since I got the Model D and had not really gotten any offers till recently. I found I was unable to sell it even though I do think the sound quality of the Mini Moog is better. It is the witchcraft thing that I missed about the sub 37 so I have just decided to keep both of them and my band mates are really happy about that.

Bottom line on the sub 37 (when using it for bass) is that it can be so freaking dark and mysterious and magical. It can make sub terranian base with its over driven filter which I think someone at Moog made a deal with the devil to create..... :lol: What the Sub 37 can do and how it sounds should not be underestimated and is very powerful. It is very different from other Moog synths I have heard.

Here is how I am using my Sub 37 presently. Right now I am primarily running the Model D oscillators through the sub 37's filter system to get that really deep over driven muffled and burnt sound and doing it this way gives me access to both the Sub 37's Lfo's and the four pole filter setting on the filter. This way I can go from the bright punchy sound of the model d and with a quick adjustment send the D though the sub and go into that magical territory with the D's oscillators-- or I can use the sub as a standalone instrument where I think the PWM combined with feedback and overdrive make for some incredible rich and complex mid and high range sounds.

Bottom line for me is that I have finally realized I just need both of them along with my two Mother 32's. I think the Mothers are the least impressive in this lineup for my uses and I basically just use them for drones (I dont use sequencers in my music) At this point the only way I would sell my Sub 37 is if Moog started selling modules to add to my Model D and even then Andrew at Moog has told me that IF they sold modules it would not be the Sub 37's filter that would be used so it looks like I am keeping mine.

Edit- Upon second thought I dont think the guy at Moog said that directly-- what he said was that when they put filters in other gear like pedals etc they presently do not use and have no plans of using the Sub 37 filter. I think that is a mistake as that filter is different enough and unique enough to warrant being used in something.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:46 pm

So the Sub 37 is NOT a model D? Well no bleep there! Of course it isn't, you numb nuts.

The D is in some cases 'better', and in others cases 'worse' than the Sub-37. It all depends what you want and need from the instrument.

I wish people would stop comparing them. They are totally different instruments.

rifat499

Post by rifat499 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:53 am

I Discover what you are telling and I am not debating with you but presently giving an another situation. I understand it is automatic and original to create and modify characters in a live environment on the Model D. I don't see any difficulties with not having preset for it. There just aren't that many controls and employment to deal with on this pretty restrained synth.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:28 pm

sub guy wrote:I had been trying to sell my sub 37 ever since I got the Model D and had not really gotten any offers till recently. I found I was unable to sell it even though I do think the sound quality of the Mini Moog is better. It is the witchcraft thing that I missed about the sub 37 so I have just decided to keep both of them and my band mates are really happy about that.

Bottom line on the sub 37 (when using it for bass) is that it can be so freaking dark and mysterious and magical. It can make sub terranian base with its over driven filter which I think someone at Moog made a deal with the devil to create..... :lol: What the Sub 37 can do and how it sounds should not be underestimated and is very powerful. It is very different from other Moog synths I have heard.

Here is how I am using my Sub 37 presently. Right now I am primarily running the Model D oscillators through the sub 37's filter system to get that really deep over driven muffled and burnt sound and doing it this way gives me access to both the Sub 37's Lfo's and the four pole filter setting on the filter. This way I can go from the bright punchy sound of the model d and with a quick adjustment send the D though the sub and go into that magical territory with the D's oscillators-- or I can use the sub as a standalone instrument where I think the PWM combined with feedback and overdrive make for some incredible rich and complex mid and high range sounds.

Bottom line for me is that I have finally realized I just need both of them along with my two Mother 32's. I think the Mothers are the least impressive in this lineup for my uses and I basically just use them for drones (I dont use sequencers in my music) At this point the only way I would sell my Sub 37 is if Moog started selling modules to add to my Model D and even then Andrew at Moog has told me that IF they sold modules it would not be the Sub 37's filter that would be used so it looks like I am keeping mine.

Edit- Upon second thought I dont think the guy at Moog said that directly-- what he said was that when they put filters in other gear like pedals etc they presently do not use and have no plans of using the Sub 37 filter. I think that is a mistake as that filter is different enough and unique enough to warrant being used in something.
Good choice keeping both. That's what I would have done. But you do realise you can overdrive the filter on the D also, right?

Just patch the low audio out to the ext in :)

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:06 pm

^^^^^^

I do but in my opinion the Sub 37 has a set of features that include the overdrive that creates an incredibly rich and unique sound that totally trumps the Model D overdrive trick. The sub 37 can overdrive more fully but is also totally adjustable on the amount When you combine that with the feedback and the fact that anything over half volume on the oscillators on the sub 37 starts to also create an organic sort of distortion you just have WAY more range and control over that whole arena of sound. Combine all of that with the really dark and muffled sound of the sub 37 filter in the lower third to 1/2 of its range and you can dial in some pretty unique tones.

One of my favorite sounds is in the lower two bass octaves both oscillators set to triangle wave, overdrive set at 3/4 full feedback set to about 1/2 full, filter set to 18 pole and oscillator both turned up 3/4 full. Then I close the filter all the way and just slowly open it up till I can hear just the right amount of distortion while hearing rich creamy bass that comes from a more closed down filter. This sound is so rich and deep. Filter sweeps in these settings are also just amazing rich dark and sound like some kind of bass horn instrument.

At these settings the sub 37 sounds so dark and earthy and sub terranian-- mysterious also. My violin player in the band said that the Model D is Yang and the Sub 37 is Yin....

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:14 pm

Interesting. I'll try that out myself.

I think your violin player has nailed it though. The two instruments compliment each other very well.

spiders

Post by spiders » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:36 am

I have both, and think they are amazing. The sub is a bit more of a music nerd compared to the model D, but fantastic in its own right. I'd say in terms of tone digging they are equally rewarding, just different. Can't really exactly match tones between them, which is honestly a good thing. Seems to be little point of that in the long run. I do feel they complement each other well, though I pretty much only play the sub 37 live and only use the mini for studio stuff.
I recently was introduced to the Arp world. I got a crazy deal on a broken Arp axxe, which I repaired and then discovered was a crazy beast. Then I got an equally awesome deal on the Karp odyssey, which is also a crazy crazy thing. I'm not trying to go to arp vs moog here, btw. Also Karp/Arp comparisons. Let's leave those alone. One thing I've discovered though is that the Sub 37 seems to take a lot of inspiration from the Odyssey. I'm really thinking about the looping envelopes, and the super flexible modulation, but beyond that the vibe is really similar. The deeper you get into an odyssey the more mod options become clear, same with the 37. It's like they were going for a fusion of the two.

I could be way off, and opinions are what they are, but still I can't help but have the one remind of me of the other.

smmahmud020

Post by smmahmud020 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:48 am

Good choice keeping both.
If you want pop music, please visit us:
Pop Music

honeyears

Post by honeyears » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:50 pm

Can you control the Model D with the Sub 37's sequencer? I assume you can. These two seem like they reallly compliment each other. Model D is the gooey honey pot of bass synths, and the Sub37 the fucked-up wizard of bass synths!