LFO going mad

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Jamtime

LFO going mad

Post by Jamtime » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:36 pm

Hi all,

The LFO runs crazy after a some minutes of playing on my Voyager with serial 1806. The LFO led can go flickering strange or just freeze and the effect of the modulation busses is weird. It always works perfect when started for the day and I always get it to work properly after a reboot and also by changing program back and forth (depending on which sound that is next, I have to jump several programs away and back). With some sounds chosen there is never a problem and with others it comes frequently.

Since the analog board was changed 12 months ago for other reasons, I am now wondering if it is the digital board that is corrupt? What do you think? The Voyager is hardware upgraded in 2010 to be able OS 3.5. I bought it 18 months ago.

My first mail to Moog one year ago was never answered and my mail about this problem two weeks ago is also unanswered so far. I guess they just don't have time for this.. And the last time I had it for service here in Sweden it took three months to get it back. I can't be without it that long and thats why I turn to you on the forum. I see I can by digital boards etc. from resellers. I am fairly technical and know how to upgrade OS and demount the synth, tune it by guides etc.

So, my main questions is,
- could it technically be the digital board? Is it likely?
- can a change of the digital board be done by me or does it need special tools/methods/programming that only moog have?

And lastly, I have som reasons to suspect that the analog board never was changed last time on guaranty repair (to long to explain). Can someone interpret if this sticker (attached photo) on the analog board says anything about the manufacturing date?
Attachments
IMG_0652.JPG

Jamtime

Re: LFO going mad

Post by Jamtime » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:02 pm

I have been contacted by Moog this our and it looks like they are helping me out with this problem! =)

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:12 pm

It's generally best to go direct to Moog Support if you discover an obvious fault in an instrument rather than kicking off endless speculation on this forum :D

Hope you get it fixed soon Jamtime.

rumori

Post by rumori » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:33 am

I'm having the exact same issue with my Select Series Voyager.
I also contacted Moog support, hope I will get some feedback.

Jamtime

Post by Jamtime » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:50 am

Thanks Stevie! Well, you're probably right, and I agree! But sometimes it has effects, some way or another.. ;) And, often there are persons with a lot of competence in these nerd worlds, willing to help out. Isn't this what forums is about? =)

Rumori: Based on my description of the problem, it is likely that the problem is still coming from the analog board, Moog says. Hope you get it sorted Rumori!

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:21 pm

Jamtime wrote:Thanks Stevie! Well, you're probably right, and I agree! But sometimes it has effects, some way or another.. ;) And, often there are persons with a lot of competence in these nerd worlds, willing to help out. Isn't this what forums is about? =)

Rumori: Based on my description of the problem, it is likely that the problem is still coming from the analog board, Moog says. Hope you get it sorted Rumori!
So did you get it fixed Jamtime?

Jamtime

Post by Jamtime » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:27 am

Stevie Ray wrote:
Jamtime wrote:Thanks Stevie! Well, you're probably right, and I agree! But sometimes it has effects, some way or another.. ;) And, often there are persons with a lot of competence in these nerd worlds, willing to help out. Isn't this what forums is about? =)

So did you get it fixed Jamtime?
Yes Stevie, Moog helped me out in a good way and I have a new analog board in my Voyager now and it works flawless again! =)