Using a midi keyboard with Little Phatty editor

Everything Phatty.
Tenebrose11

Using a midi keyboard with Little Phatty editor

Post by Tenebrose11 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:37 am

Hello everyone, I am a long time Moog user and lover, but am new here to the forum. I have a question that I am hoping can get resolved here as I've seen no other helpful info anywhere online or in the editor's manual even.

I am trying to use my midi keyboard in the editor/librarian but I cannot get it to play the notes on my Slim Phatty through the system. I am on Mac and am using an M-Audio MidiSport 4x4 interface. I have my Slim Phatty hooked up correctly to the midi interface (I am able to send/receive midi data), and I have my keyboard (an M-Audio Code 61), hooked up from the midi OUT from the keyboard into an open IN slot on the interface. The interface shows it is receiving the midi data as the led to the corresponding slot flickers when I hit a key, but it is not routing the data back into the Slim Phatty.

Towards the very end of the editor manual it explains using the Midi Setup software in Mac OSX (or Midi Studio as it is now called), but it only details setting up a Phatty to the midi interface. I tried using the same concepts it described for that to try and hook up my keyboard to the interface, but no luck. Also, earlier in the editor's manual there is a section detailing setting up midi within the program itself but it completely skipped over the "MIDI In Controller" tab in its Midi Setup window. Pretty frustrating. Does anybody here know how I can get this to work? Thanks in advance!

Roger Paolo

Re: Using a midi keyboard with Little Phatty editor

Post by Roger Paolo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:39 am

are you connecting to the corresponding ports on the interface (i.e. interface to phatty port A, keyboard to interface also on port A)?

I don't know what you mean by using the LP editor for playing, I would expect you use that for programming sounds etc, nog for playing?

Tenebrose11

Post by Tenebrose11 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:35 am

Roger Paolo wrote:are you connecting to the corresponding ports on the interface (i.e. interface to phatty port A, keyboard to interface also on port A)?

I don't know what you mean by using the LP editor for playing, I would expect you use that for programming sounds etc, nog for playing?
I can't have them be on the same port. I have the Phatty into port A on the interface, and the keyboard going into port B. In the editor program, I can't have the keyboard go onto the same port as the Phatty. When I try and click "done", it just reverts it back onto port B. I want to use my keyboard while in the editor to demo the patches that I am organizing as I find the virtual keyboard in it extremely limiting.

Tenebrose11

Post by Tenebrose11 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:34 am

Roger Paolo wrote:are you connecting to the corresponding ports on the interface (i.e. interface to phatty port A, keyboard to interface also on port A)?

I have the Phatty going into port A on the interface, and the keyboard going into port B. In the program, there is no way for me to have the keyboard go into port A, when it is already being used the the Phatty. If I try, it just automatically switches it back to port B. I want to use a keyboard with the phatty inside the editor so I can demo patches when I am organizing and editing them. Using the virtual keyboard inside the editor is unnatural to me and I can't really get a feel for the patch.