Sub 37 sounds on its own?

Everything Sub.
fraco

Sub 37 sounds on its own?

Post by fraco » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:44 pm

Hi! I just bought a sub 37 and I was playing around with it and noticed that every patch that has the LATCH ON button lit under the Envelope Generator sounds on its own as soon as I select it even if I am not playing any notes. It seems to be playing the last note I pressed on any previous patch.

Is this normal? Seems too odd...

Thanks for your help.

Fraco

Chimponaut

Re: Sub 37 sounds on its own?

Post by Chimponaut » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:06 am

Sounds like you have a stuck note. Press both octave buttons at the same time and hold them for a few seconds. Now try changing presets. This will shut any stuck notes down. I've gone through and removed the latch setting from almost all of the presets. When I want latch on I turn it on but I don't save my sounds with it on. Something about presets that use latch...And changing said preset while a seq is running...Stuck notes. The stuck note is triggering the seq when you change presets. All "on it's own."
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo

dalahorse

Post by dalahorse » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:10 am

That is the correct behavior assuming you've played a note since turning the instrument on. Even in a patch without latch selected in the EG (or in panel mode), you can push the button and the last note you played with start sounding.
Dalahorse
Synths, drums, and bass

dalahorse

Post by dalahorse » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:21 am

Also, Chimponaut has a very good idea about saving patches without latch. Then you can engage it when ready and won't be surprised by it... Especially during live performances!
Dalahorse
Synths, drums, and bass

fraco

Post by fraco » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks for the answers guys. I tried Chimponaut said and it did not change anything.

I just realized it only happens with one patch, BANK 3 Preset 13. Dalahorse, if I turn the synth off and back on and I select this preset without playing any note I hear a low pitched grainy and fragmented sound. Another thing I noticed with this same preset is that some times it doesnt change the pitch after I play a note, specially if it is a really short one, or there might be a bit of a delay when playing a long note. The response is not immediate, or there is no response at all.

Can you guys check if this happens to you as well?

dalahorse

Post by dalahorse » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:32 pm

There is a weird glitchy sound to that patch at startup. It's speed is directly influenced by the arpeggiator's speed. Seems like a bug to me.

Also, if you're playing the keyboard faster than the arpeggiator's interval, some notes will get skipped. So I feel like that symptom is normal.
Dalahorse
Synths, drums, and bass

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:16 am

Hi Gang,

On an analog synth, all of the oscillators are going all of the time.

If the the synth is silent it is only because something (after the oscillators) is attenuating them (mixer, filter, amp, volume).

If you have a LATCH button lit, you're telling that envelope to stay open at its SUSTAIN level.

So... if you scroll to a preset with its Filter and Amp latched open (and the SUSTAIN levels are non-zero), you are going to hear that preset without pressing keys.

The oscillators' pitch will be wherever they were last left. If you just powered On (and haven't hit a key) they might be at an extreme value.

If you're scrolling from a preset to one that's latched open, you will hear the awesome sound of all the synth's parameter values rapidly changing from their previous values to their current values. You normally wouldn't hear that because the Amp's Envelope is usually closed until a key strike.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:28 am

dalahorse wrote:There is a weird glitchy sound to that patch at startup. Its speed is directly influenced by the arpeggiator's speed. Seems like a bug to me.
Hi dalahorse,

See my above text re: changing presets with LATCH lit.
dalahorse wrote:Also, if you're playing the keyboard faster than the arpeggiator's interval, some notes will get skipped. So I feel like that symptom is normal.
Check out the manual re: PHASE RESET in the GLOBAL MENU/SEQUENCER OPTIONS section.

This parameter allows you to choose if a new keystrike resets the sequence's or arp's downbeat timing (or doesn't).
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

dalahorse

Post by dalahorse » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:58 am

Interesting point about the OSCs being at extreme values at startup. It's probably a sub-audible note causing the clicks. I didn't even think about that but it makes perfect sense given that the OSCs do run constantly when switched on.
Dalahorse
Synths, drums, and bass