Sub 37 Shipping Blues

Everything Sub.
Ted3000

Sub 37 Shipping Blues

Post by Ted3000 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:24 pm

Long Story Medium.

Bought a new Sub 37 online from a New York dealer who I won't name. I live close by in New England, but the dealer's warehouse is mid-Atlantic. So it was nearly a week of ground delivery. Fine. Good things come to those who wait.

Truck pulls up today. Driver rings the bell and is holding what I instantly recognized as the inner box. The nice looking one with the graphics and text. The one you saved. The one you'd expect to be nestled in an outer box.

But there it was, the inner box used for shipping. No tape - anyone in the chain could just have lifted the flap and busted out some prog solos or what have you. Those 2 little cardboard tabs were all that kept the synth from sliding out in transit.

What was the condition of the inner box? Glad you asked! It was scuffed, worn, and distressed looking.

Was there a bootprint on it? Yes, a dirty man-sized workboot print. I could probably team up with a forensics expert and tell you the size and brand. Someone walked on the box. Walked. On the inner box. Did it cave in? Of course it did it's a cardboard box. The contents seemed to help support the gentleman who needed to walk on my Moog.

Inside, the Styrofoam was cracked but the synth looked fine. Closer inspection revealed a little ding on a wood side, no big deal. And the main volume knob seemed like something knicked the plastic. And the screen was a little smudgy. And the knobs were in weird positions I wouldn't think the factory would have sent it out with.

So here are the 3 President's Day Weekend Sale lessons I learned.

1. Tape and cardboard are cheap, but not as cheap as slapping a shipping label on the inner box.
2. At some point, a UPS dude may decide to stand on your synth.
3. The Sub 37 is built well, because it powered right up and sounds great.

The irony is that to buy the 37, I sold a bunch of cheaper synths. I packed them like my life depended on their arrival condition. Rolls of bubble wrap, double boxed, a mile of tape, fingerprints polished off and factory settings restored. This is what's known as reverse shipping karma. Next time I'm gonna ship stuff in an unsealed shoebox. Enjoy the Blofeld chunks!
Last edited by Ted3000 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soundcloud.com/astrospy

breun

Re: Sub 37 Shipping Blues

Post by breun » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Have you let the dealer know about how this went down? Any response?

Ted3000

Post by Ted3000 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:23 pm

I just got it 6 hours ago, I think I'll take a day or two to decide what to do, test everything in the meantime.

At most maybe they can get me a new left wood piece and a volume knob, can't be that much money. I'd hate to have to send it back over minor cosmetic issues, who knows how they'll ship it this time. Garbage bag and twine?
soundcloud.com/astrospy

breun

Post by breun » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:32 pm

Even if you find that everything is working okay and you don't want to return it, I'd still let the dealer know ASAP you weren't happy with how it arrived at your place. The longer you wait, the more reason for them to suspect you dropped it yourself or something like that.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:50 am

I would do the same.

That sucks mate, sorry to read that :(

Chimponaut

Post by Chimponaut » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:06 pm

I've heard so many of these stories. My 1st Sub 37 arrived with an extra outer box via Sweetwater and it still had issues that were put down to shipping. Maybe, just maybe it is time to rethink how things are packaged because the shipping companies simply don't care at all. Ex employees have gone on record stating that they all stand on boxes everyday all day long. Not to mention throwing them around, dropping them from over 5 feet. So maybe cardboard just doesn't cut it anymore in this "I take no pride in my job, insurance will cover it." shipping environment.

Hope everything works out for the best with your S37. Still love mine to death and find it exciting to use everyday.
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo

Ted3000

Post by Ted3000 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:12 pm

Update: got my damage complaint escalated. Opting to keep the Sub 37 and get a small partial refund, probably replace the wood and knob later. I've played it for 2 days straight, no issues.

This seems to be a case of double bad luck. Improperly packed by dealer, rough handling by delivery company.

I'll never understand how no one in the chain of events grabbed a box or even some humble packing tape. Wow!

And yes, UPS will stand on your package to reach a higher one. I bet they make mazes out of them and play laser tag when the boss is gone.
soundcloud.com/astrospy

Wmacky

Post by Wmacky » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:43 am

I ordered mine from a NY dealer also. ( Same one Maybe) and my 37 came only in the inner box. Others have complained about the same thing from this dealer as they (NEVER) double box themselves. They have good pricing, but there shipping methods suck! And a it appears MOOG doesn't supply an outer box either.

Ted3000

Post by Ted3000 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:38 pm

I'd imagine Moog Music ships the Sub 37s to dealers in a larger box or crate, maybe 4 or 6 to a big box or something, ground freight? (At least for bulk shipments to places like Sweetwater and Guitar Center.)

The dealers would receive them, warehouse 'em and ship those out in their own outer box. The unboxing videos I've seen either have outer boxes provided by the dealer. One had the inner box, but it was taped and sealed - might have been a secondhand sale.

Those inner boxes are nice, but I don't think they really do the trick across a bunch of UPS depots. Just look at the bottom - it's folded. You can see the bottom of the synth through the gap. Without tape, what's holding it together? Orgami and luck.

I've bought stuff from this dealer in the past - double boxed every time. Of course those boxes were pretty retail boxes, glossy, 4-color printing. Maybe the average warehouse worker sees the cardboard and black ink and thinks, "looks like a shipping box to me, must be ready to go." (Moog is one of the only makers who chooses plain recycled stock for their boxes and manuals.)

2nd Update: The NY dealer seemed to be ready to give me a small partial refund for my troubles, had to check with someone. Big shock - it's been a week and no refund. Looks like I'll have to really work for that sweet $20 store credit.

In the meanwhile, I reached out directly to Moog support. They were awesome, and should be sending me a wood side and knob soon. Moog Music support didn't even need a pic to prove the damage, just one to match the woodgrain for my replacement. Moog employees are genuinely great.
soundcloud.com/astrospy