Moog Prodigy Advice

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
vancutan

Moog Prodigy Advice

Post by vancutan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:51 am

Hi all.
I'm looking for some advice. I have a Moog Prodigy 336A. Cosmetically really nice, only missing one slider, no other real cosmetic issues.
But... I turned it on one day and no sound! :( (It worked fine one day, stayed in tune, played like a dream, then...nothing. Oh the pains of owning a vintage analog.)
Anyway, I have a Little Phatty that I love, and live in an synth tech impoverished area, so there's not much incentive to fix it.
Anyone have a notion of a fair price to ask for a Prodigy that powers up but makes no sound?

atkbg

Re: Moog Prodigy Advice

Post by atkbg » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:29 am

If you're not scared, you can crack it open and check a few test points. My guess is an op amp in the VCA or VCF.
Where are you located?

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:53 pm

Could be one of many things, but start by checking the fuse and power supply. Is the 'POWER ON' LED by the pitch/mod wheels lit?

If the power is ok, check the jack connections and cable between the Prodigy and whatever you're connecting it to (mixer/amp etc.).

Check the obvious things like panel pot settings to make sure an audible sound *should* be produced - easy to overlook sometimes.

If all the above fails, are you getting any kind of sound at all? A hiss, a hum, anything?

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:57 pm

I love these 'one and one' posters.

We offer suggestions and advice but never hear anything back. :roll:

MC

Post by MC » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Stevie Ray wrote:I love these 'one and one' posters.

Too many of them want their analog synth fixed for free over the internet. I pretty much stopped responding to them - my time is not free, I have too many other things I want to do, and it is way too much work to coach novices in the skill of analog electronic repair.

I would get a lot of those through PMs too, and one idiot was trying to shame me into fixing his analog synth for free. So I disabled PMs - no more.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:54 pm

MC wrote:
Stevie Ray wrote:I love these 'one and one' posters.

Too many of them want their analog synth fixed for free over the internet. I pretty much stopped responding to them - my time is not free, I have too many other things I want to do, and it is way too much work to coach novices in the skill of analog electronic repair.

I would get a lot of those through PMs too, and one idiot was trying to shame me into fixing his analog synth for free. So I disabled PMs - no more.
I completely understand your position on that MC. I have it 'real life' too not just on the net. "Oh! I know a guy called Steve who can fix up your Moog/Korg/Roland Whatever the damn thing is" - even though the 'damn thing' has been sitting in a damp garage for 5+ years.

dirx808

Post by dirx808 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:05 am

Haha... sometimes those suckers can be of serious value. I scored my Rev 1 Prodigy for $15 because the owner thought it was dead. Filter was closed and he didn't understand the instrument. Do I feel guilty? Slightly... but if you don't know what you've got, you don't really deserve it... Just my two cents. It is in loving hands now and has been cleaned and restored to near-mint condition. 8)
New Moogs: Sub 37, Minitaur - Ableton Live 9, Cubase 9, WaveLab 9 - Duet, UAD Apollo Twin + Octo - MacBook Air (10.11.6), Mac mini x2 (10.12.3) - MiniFooger Delay (x2), Drive and Chorus -- Legacy: Prodigy (Rev. 1), Juno-60, DX7 (Rev. 1 + Grey Matter E!)

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:41 pm

dirx808 wrote:Haha... sometimes those suckers can be of serious value. I scored my Rev 1 Prodigy for $15 because the owner thought it was dead. Filter was closed and he didn't understand the instrument. Do I feel guilty? Slightly... but if you don't know what you've got, you don't really deserve it... Just my two cents. It is in loving hands now and has been cleaned and restored to near-mint condition. 8)
No need to feel guilty at all. You saved an important instrument (historically speaking) from the garbage dump. Well done on the restoration job. If it wasn't for people like you then so much of synth history would have been consigned to the rubbish bin of eternity.