Moogerfooger Idea

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Midiguy4u

Moogerfooger Idea

Post by Midiguy4u » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:04 pm

I have(9) Mooger Foogers rack-mounted.
Needless to say, the Foogers take up a LOT of rack real-estate.
Wiring the patch bays to cover all of the jacks on the backs of 9 Foogers was a considerable task and expensive.( 70 cables and 2-TRS bays.), along with the long power strip to accommodate 9 wall-warts.

I was looking at my old Yamaha TX-816 rack and thought. Why couldn't Moog do the same thing with their Foogers?
An 8 and 3/4 " long module ( like the BAE 8-channel rack= 5 rack spaces) could house any given Fooger with the main audio i/o in the back and the modulator jacks and controls on the front. You could slide up to 8 Foogers in a unit on rails, the power has already been addressed. After all, they shrunk down the functions on the analog delay to fit in an even smaller 500-series module.
This way you could have 8 Foogers in a 5-space rack module.
I think its a bit restrictive to relegate the Fooger technology to a pedal.
Wouldn't that be a beautiful thing?

Also, I am building a CV box with sliders ( long-throw faders), Which will allow me to control up to 8 destinations at one time of anything with a CV-In. I wish Moog would make something like this that could also be midi-synced and give you the option to gang-up multliple CV-outs off of 1 fader move.
Moog System 55 with controller.Synthesizers Studio System 110 with controller, Voyager XL, (9) Moogerfoogers,(3) Mothers, (2)500-series Ladder filters, (2) 500-series analog delays. [img]fullmodular.jpg[/img]

Kirneh Ness

Re: Moogerfooger Idea

Post by Kirneh Ness » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:35 am

I hear you. I am a guitar player, and bought the first couple of foogers as stand-alone pedals. I refused any thought of having them rackmounted. But becoming caught up in all the modulation stuff, and having bought more foogers, I have realized that I must go rackmount. Having them ("only" six) lying on the table is a bit restrictive for immediate noodling, twisting and wiring. And I want my table back.

So I am in the process of setting up a rackmount and have bought a load of cables (sigh, that is a huge cost). I will without doubt become very happy with the project, but I agree it will be a lot of rackmount real estate. Foogers steal about 2*(6+2) = 16U. I don't route the CV ins/outs to patchbay - I have read about too many problems, and I save cables, but then I need some access from above, hence the extra 2U to each set of three. And the CP251 (3U) and a 1U patchbay should be there also. So I am basically filling up a 20U rackmount cabinet with a modular unit, where several functions are duplicated (well, at least the duplication of two awesome LFOs on the 104 and 108 are not a problem as they can't be accessed :shock: ), and where a lot of space is wasted.

I would love if Moog would produce each half of a fooger as an independent unit. (I have written it to them every time I registrered a pedal.) But is is, on the other hand, difficult to argue much with such inherently beautiful products).
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:26 am

They just need to go Eurorack. I think. The pedals are way too big. I've replaced all mine (except the irreplaceable ones) with Eurorack equivalents, but I would go back in a hearbeat if I could have an all Mooger Eurorack skiff.d

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:52 am

Croyote wrote:They just need to go Eurorack. I think. The pedals are way too big. I've replaced all mine (except the irreplaceable ones) with Eurorack equivalents, but I would go back in a hearbeat if I could have an all Mooger Eurorack skiff.d
Just out of pure curiosity what are the "irreplaceable" ones, now having completed the 'fooger lineup. I agree they take up WAY too much space (even racked) but I still find them to be better than any guitar pedal-wise effect that I've come across. Not to mention the wallet is only so big. I also agree they need to go eurorack. I noticed that they recently expanded the available empty rack options for the mother 32
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:41 pm

kn_s wrote: Just out of pure curiosity what are the "irreplaceable" ones, now having completed the 'fooger lineup. I agree they take up WAY too much space (even racked) but I still find them to be better than any guitar pedal-wise effect that I've come across. Not to mention the wallet is only so big. I also agree they need to go eurorack. I noticed that they recently expanded the available empty rack options for the mother 32
The Essential Moogerfoogers are:

MF-102, MF-104, MF-105 and MF108M.

The MF-101 is surpassed by many filters in Eurorack format. My particular favorite is the Dreadbox Lambda which has several types of filter with 8-pole, 4-pole and 2-pole configurations.

I haven't explored many Eurorack ring modulators, but I would be interested to know if the MF-102 is surpassed by them.

The MF-103 is certainly lush, but I prefer both the Pittsburgh Modular 16 stage Phase Shifter and the Schippman 2x8 phaser.

The MF105 Murf in all it's formats is probably my favorite Moogerfooger, and nothing in Eurorack quite matches what it can do. For now, I'm substituting the 4MS SMR with fairly positive results. The SMR can't do panning, but there are lots of panning units available in Eurorack.

The MF104 is probably the best analog delay ever designed, but the price is prohibitive. I think they should make a new one with the excellent XVIVE MN3005 BBD chips. IF they did a Eurorack version it might be the only module with those chips that I know of. I use the new generation of the EHX Deluxe Memory Man 1100 Tap Tempo and love it.

The MF-107 is just a piece of junk in my opinion. There seems to be many effects that do what it does in a far more superior and user-friendly fashion.

The MF-108M is, of course, the only BBD chorus/flanger with an external feedback loop. The Alright Devices Chronoblob (and potentially 4MS DLD) can be used to get similar delay times and it does sound excellent, but not quite as lush and lacks internal LFO modulation.

Moog seems to be suffering from some combination of inertia and some internal resistance against growing too big. That's their thing and they are excellent at what they do. I guess it leaves room for others to rise up and have a place in the game.

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:59 pm

Also a Line of minifooger eurorack modules like the Dreadbox White Line series might do well.

Kirneh Ness

Post by Kirneh Ness » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:45 am

Croyote wrote:The MF-107 is just a piece of junk in my opinion.
It is indeed special, but quite good for guitar. It is growing on me. Anyway, as I see it, it is worthwhile alone for the oscillator. It gives a great third bass to my Minitaur. I use a Doepfer DarkLink midi->cv to control the frequency, and it tracks beautifully, and the sawtooth is just as it should be. 8)
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:47 pm

Kirneh Ness wrote:
Croyote wrote:The MF-107 is just a piece of junk in my opinion.
It is indeed special, but quite good for guitar. It is growing on me. Anyway, as I see it, it is worthwhile alone for the oscillator. It gives a great third bass to my Minitaur. I use a Doepfer DarkLink midi->cv to control the frequency, and it tracks beautifully, and the sawtooth is just as it should be. 8)
Admittedly, I was exaggerating, but its not a pedal that grew with my style and the polyphonic passages that I typically play now. I did find quite a use for the timbral capabilities shaping of the pedal by manipulating the Wave shape with CV.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:46 pm

It doesn't work for your style so therefore it is a piece of junk? Hmmm, I'll have to take that in mind whenever I read any of your other posts... :)

Stephen

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:00 am

Uh okay, whatever, artists are opinionated people when it comes to gear. The pedal just takes polyphony terribly.

Anyway, I saw that a guy on muffwiggler is making modules out of the moogerfoogers. I don't want to post the link as to accidentally get him in trouble with Moog.

This guy is gonna have his work cut out for him.

Midiguy4u

Post by Midiguy4u » Sat May 20, 2017 10:50 am

I really didn't foresee my post evolving into a Eurorack discussion.
I don't now nor have ever considered the Foogers to be any type of precursor to a synth module in any format.
They are FX boxes, and IMO should be treated as such, if for no other reason, that's why they were designed.
Not all synthesists, or keyboardists in general, get into modulars; I would imagine that to be a relatively small demographic.
What's also more true than not, for most keyboardists is that we're not naturally inclined for stomp-boxes, which is what Foogers are.
For starters, most keys have FX built in them, and if you're a player your foot is usually preoccupied with sustain and sometime volume commands.
I have rarely seen a pedal-board array on tour, and virtually never in the studio ( for key players).
Furthermore, key-rigs are expensive, and expensive boutique pedals are not usually a high priority for us.
Clearly this was a product primarily aimed, and rightfully so, at guitarists.
The thing is, these pedals can handle the full freq-range of keys, and seeing how some of them are "studio-quality" in terms of their fidelity, I'd hope that Moog as a company would see the wisdom in offering a studio-format version of them, in manner perhaps similar to the one I outlined above.
It seems only logical to me.
Moog System 55 with controller.Synthesizers Studio System 110 with controller, Voyager XL, (9) Moogerfoogers,(3) Mothers, (2)500-series Ladder filters, (2) 500-series analog delays. [img]fullmodular.jpg[/img]