Sub 37 Clock Div Values Skipped with Ext Sync / Tap

Everything Sub.
AudioCookbook.org

Sub 37 Clock Div Values Skipped with Ext Sync / Tap

Post by AudioCookbook.org » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:27 pm

Hello,

I have discovered what might be a bug, or just an oversight in the behavior of the Arpeggiator Clock Div knob adjustment. When using the RATE knob to dial in a Clock Div value, several values are skipped (external clock or tap). When you make the adjustments in the interface all values are available. The missing values include: 1T, 1/2T, 1/8T, 1/16T, and 1/32T. The only tuplets I can land on are 1/4T and 1/64T.

It'd be nice to have the missing values on the knob, otherwise the clock divs jump to higher or lower values. Can anyone confirm that this happens on their Sub 37 as well? I have firmware 1.2.0 and can confirm that it also happened on older firmware, because I was hoping 1.2.0 would fix it.

Thanks!

John
http://audiocookbook.org

Chimponaut

Re: Sub 37 Clock Div Values Skipped with Ext Sync / Tap

Post by Chimponaut » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:01 pm

Not sure if this is the same issue but it sounds very similar...

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 45#p158345
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo

AudioCookbook.org

Post by AudioCookbook.org » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:39 pm

It does sound similar, but this happens regardless of whether USB is connected or if using the editor. To put it another way, when adjusting the hardware sync knob the values are skipped under any circumstances (as long as you're in ext sync or tap mode). If you navigate to the arp section in the preset (nothing to do with the editor) and use the increment / decrement buttons it IS possible to land on the skipped values. If using the knob it is impossible, for me anyway, to land on 1T, 1/2T, 1/8T, 1/16T, and 1/32T. Notice they're all tupelos? This must be a bug/oversight in the firmware, unless it's not happening to anyone else. Anyone willing to confirm that this isn't just my instrument? Thanks!

AudioCookbook.org

Post by AudioCookbook.org » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:01 pm

Anyone get a chance to try this? Thanks!

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:32 pm

I just did some testing with the tap tempo (no MIDI or USB connected). The arpeggiator rate does get quantized, but it also drifts out of sync with the tapped blinking of the SYNC button. I don't know what's going on there, or if I have misunderstood the tap tempo function - I'd have thought that the arpeggiator rate should sync exactly to it(?) I also tried syncing an LFO to the arpeggiator rate (with and without tap tempo in effect) and I'm a bit confused by that too. Then I tried to sync both LFOs and the confusion only grew; did they drift in and out of sync, what were the divisors and multipliers... I will admit that it's very hard to test this with any certainty as trying to track up to three different simultaneous divisors/multipliers makes my head spin. I'm fairly sure that synced rates drifted relative to the tap tempo though, and that the divisors/multipliers were not consistent as I seemed to hit different ones throughout the testing.

After a bit of experimentation, the arpeggiator rate would only reach a very low tempo with all syncing switched off (like a the tenth or so of the tempo it normally reaches), and I had to switch presets to make it regain its full range. All testing was done starting with an init patch, and the FW version is 1.2.0 The conclusion is that something is not right with syncing.

Edit: I should add that I've used MIDI clock sync via USB to drive a synced LFO in a patch, and it seems to work with a continuous clock from my DAW and steady stream of note-on messages (don't know it the continuous clock and note triggering would 'resync' and hide any drift).

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Sat May 20, 2017 5:36 pm

BUMP!

Dear Moog, any comments on this?

Ndoe

Post by Ndoe » Thu May 25, 2017 3:22 pm

Still nothing on this??
OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan) Mac pro 5,1
Moog Sub 37 ( usb )
Editor v1.0.0 RC3 (VST)
Firmware v1.2.0
Ableton Live 9.7.6 (64 bit)
MOTU Ultralite MK1

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Sun May 28, 2017 1:07 pm

Now there is the new Subsequesnt37, we will be just left out in the cold as I was with the Minitaur and the Taurus 3. No updates, no interest. Things promised a year ago never materialising. It's how Moog seem to operate.
When the Sub37 was first released, The one big thing that was requested time and time again was to show the stored value of a knob (like the DSI Pro 08). It was probably the most requested feature. In every update, we got things that no one asked for and in the end, we never got this feature and we never will now.
People complained about the subpar headphone circuit that seems noisy and broke on everyones Sub37. Also complained about the horrible keybed and would there be a replacement available. Well, both problems sorted now but only if you buy the new ltd edition of the ltd edition you originally bought. :-)
If you own previous Moog products, you will have got used to this by now. If you only own or two pieces, have a look through all the forums on here and its the same for every product. Dropped and forgotten before all the problems are ironed out.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sun May 28, 2017 8:02 pm

@vinnyburns You are taking some things for granted without proper knowledge. There is a new version for the Minitaur Editor and firmware ready for release, which will be done as soon as the documentation is finished.
We have sold many Sub 37 units in Colombia and only one had the headphones problem.

With all due respect: Please don't speculate.
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Sun May 28, 2017 8:36 pm

bichuelo wrote:@vinnyburns You are taking some things for granted without proper knowledge. There is a new version for the Minitaur Editor and firmware ready for release, which will be done as soon as the documentation is finished.
We have sold many Sub 37 units in Colombia and only one had the headphones problem.

You are taking somethings for granted without any proper knowledge too. I have owned the Sub37 since it was first available in the UK. The promised editor took a year to materialise even though when the synth was announced, this editor was touted as being available upon release.
The so called new version of this Minitaur editor, we were given a sneak preview of a year ago and it is still not released.
Will the T3 Firmware promised over a year ago be released too? That was only a week away when ;last promised. We won't even talk about an editor never even happening for the T3. See a pattern developing here?
Believe me, there have been more than one incident of the bad headphone sockets as well as the faulty filter pots reported on here. Do a search. I don't use the headphone socket on mine but it sounds terrible when I plugged into it.
As you seem to be the font of all Moog knowledge, is the keybed in the new Sub37 ltd edition backwards compatible with the old ltd edition version of the Sub37?

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sun May 28, 2017 9:14 pm

vinnyburns wrote:
bichuelo wrote:@vinnyburns You are taking some things for granted without proper knowledge. There is a new version for the Minitaur Editor and firmware ready for release, which will be done as soon as the documentation is finished.

You are taking somethings for granted without any proper knowledge too. I have owned the Sub37 since it was first available in the UK. The promised editor took a year to materialise even though when the synth was announced, this editor was touted as being available upon release.
The so called new version of this Minitaur editor, we were given a sneak preview of a year ago and it is still not released.
Will the T3 Firmware promised over a year ago be released too? That was only a week away when ;last promised. We won't even talk about an editor never even happening for the T3. See a pattern developing here?
Believe me, there have been more than one incident of the bad headphone sockets as well as the faulty filter pots reported on here. Do a search. I don't use the headphone socket on mine but it sounds terrible when I plugged into it.
As you seem to be the font of all Moog knowledge, is the keybed in the new Sub37 ltd edition backwards compatible with the old ltd edition version of the Sub37?
Excuse me but I never mentioned the T3 at all.

We are the official dealers for Colombia, and I am speaking about the Sub 37 units we sold here, only. I know that there have been more units with this problem and I never referred to them, sorry if this wasn't clear enough. If your unit has that problem, Moog can replace you the PCB at no cost, you should speak to your local service center about this.

Audiotecna is an official Moog service center as well, and we also do beta test for the firmware so yes, I work for Moog. I am able to find out if the keybed for the Sub 37 can be replaced for the Subsequent one. I don't know yet.
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra