Major problem USB MIDI from DAW with Sub37 hangs/disconnects

Everything Sub.
msy

Major problem USB MIDI from DAW with Sub37 hangs/disconnects

Post by msy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:05 am

The connection between my DAW computer and my Sub 37 (with latest firmware) hangs after a few minutes of working with it.
Cubase hangs after a couple of minutes when having the Sub 37 USB MIDI connected. But as soon as I turn off my Moog Sub 37, Cubase "unhangs" and I can continue!
Also worth noticing, If I have the Moog Sub 37 connected to the computer while booting up, sometimes Windows stops responding and wont finish its bootup process. This never happens otherwise.
I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue of some kind.

Of course I have tried changing USB-port and changing USB-cable. Of course I have also tried disconnecting all other USB-MIDI equipment except the Sub37, but the same thing happens.

I am using Cubase 7.5 64bit, running on Windows 7 64-bit. I have other equipment using USB MIDI (Nordlead 4, Access Virus TI, Arturia Microbrute, Korg SQ-1) and all of them works fine.
USB-MIDI drivers are standard Windows 7 drivers. (USB Audio Device 6.1.7601.18208).

It doesn't actually disconnects btw, if I check the Device Manager the "Moog Sub 37" device is still active and if i re-scan for hardware changes it still says "This device is working properly." Cubase is still hanged, until I turn off the Sub 37 that is.

Have anyone else had this happened to them?

BobbyD-NYC

Re: Major problem USB MIDI from DAW with Sub37 hangs/disconn

Post by BobbyD-NYC » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:55 pm

Never an issue but I use Ableton with a Mac. That's not meant to be a knock on Cubase/Windows. c

msy

Post by msy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:22 am

I think I found the problem! Atleast I have been able to play for a while now without any disrupts.

I installed a MIDI Monitor and realised that the Moog Sub37 keeps sending Start/Stop via MIDI, especially when when browsing between some certain presets.
I could jump between two presets and the Sub37 will send Start/Stops every single time.

Any DAW/sequencer accepting Start/Stop via MIDI should be bothered about this. So, in the MIDI Menu of Sub37, under Clock Options, there are two settings that I turn off: "Send Clock" and "Send Start/Stop" (Follow SPP is still ON).

Edit: No, still the same problem...... Seems to happen faster when I actually play on the Sub37. Seems like it does not happen a as much when I play from another keyboard.
I have also turned off all LOCALs...

DLT83

Post by DLT83 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:56 am

msy wrote:I think I found the problem! Atleast I have been able to play for a while now without any disrupts.

I installed a MIDI Monitor and realised that the Moog Sub37 keeps sending Start/Stop via MIDI, especially when when browsing between some certain presets.
I could jump between two presets and the Sub37 will send Start/Stops every single time.

Any DAW/sequencer accepting Start/Stop via MIDI should be bothered about this. So, in the MIDI Menu of Sub37, under Clock Options, there are two settings that I turn off: "Send Clock" and "Send Start/Stop" (Follow SPP is still ON).

Edit: No, still the same problem...... Seems to happen faster when I actually play on the Sub37. Seems like it does not happen a as much when I play from another keyboard.
Have you found a solution yet? I'm having the same kind of problem... My input and output routing in cubase 7 is set to the moog sub37. But the moment I hit a key on the moog the midi starts to act crazy and I can't even scroll through presets on my sub37 anymore and the note that I played stays on hold forever or starts sequencing. I've tried via midi only through an interface and also usb only... The same keeps happening. Maybe it's something in my settings that I'm not aware of?

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:22 am

DLT83 wrote:
msy wrote:I think I found the problem! Atleast I have been able to play for a while now without any disrupts.

Have you found a solution yet? I'm having the same kind of problem... My input and output routing in cubase 7 is set to the moog sub37. But the moment I hit a key on the moog the midi starts to act crazy and I can't even scroll through presets on my sub37 anymore and the note that I played stays on hold forever or starts sequencing. I've tried via midi only through an interface and also usb only... The same keeps happening. Maybe it's something in my settings that I'm not aware of?
Have you tried turning Local Control to Off?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

LuthierMark

Post by LuthierMark » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:32 pm

Sounds like MIDI looping: MIDI from Sub 37 going to Cubase and directly back to Sub 37. I dont know cubase, but the Sub 37 has a MIDI echo setting. Would switch that off.
"The thing is, to put a motor in yourself" fz

Moog Sub 37 1.2.0, Nord Modular Rack, Novation KSr,
Emagic Unitor8, Focusrite Saffire Pro40,
Logic Pro X 10.3, MacBook Pro Retina 11.2, macOS 10.12.3

msy

Post by msy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:58 am

Back again. I had several issues.

- Bad USB hub, random issues.
- Turned off Follow SPP etc.

Now it seems to work fine. :)

Now though, I have a problem setting Sub37 Editor up in Cubase. I have done these things before with other hardware synths but I get "No connection" here.

LuthierMark

Post by LuthierMark » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:42 am

msy wrote:Back again. I had several issues.

- Bad USB hub, random issues.
- Turned off Follow SPP etc.

Now it seems to work fine. :)

Now though, I have a problem setting Sub37 Editor up in Cubase. I have done these things before with other hardware synths but I get "No connection" here.
In the 'Setup' window, under 'Editor settings' you can choose the correct MIDI ports to connect to your Sub 37. Does that work?
"The thing is, to put a motor in yourself" fz

Moog Sub 37 1.2.0, Nord Modular Rack, Novation KSr,
Emagic Unitor8, Focusrite Saffire Pro40,
Logic Pro X 10.3, MacBook Pro Retina 11.2, macOS 10.12.3