Sub 37 Sound to Minitaur

Everything Sub.
Animalbeats

Sub 37 Sound to Minitaur

Post by Animalbeats » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:46 pm

Instantly fallen in love with my Minitaur, it sounds so juicy and low....

I "need" a sequencer and I'm thinking that I'll have to trade in my Sub Phatty and the Minitaur to afford it.....

So, how does the sound of the Sub37 compared to the Minitaur, I really emphasize the low and juicy quality the Minitaur exudes....

Very greatful for all replies.

bichuelo

Re: Sub 37 Sound to Minitaur

Post by bichuelo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:24 pm

Minitaur's low-end can't be found anywhere else.

Sub 37 is a great synth, because it can do so many different things. It can do great bass, but it can't get there
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Etamin

Post by Etamin » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:34 am

You could just buy an external sequencer to connect to the Minitaur. Korg SQ-1 is $100, Arturia Beatstep Pro is $250 I believe, Doepfer Dark Time maybe $650 - all US dollar prices as I remember them. These are just the first three that come to mind, but probably quite a few more also.

Peter

breun

Post by breun » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:42 am

I think the Arturia KeyStep is a pretty interesting unit. You get keys with aftertouch, pitch and mod controls, an arpeggiator and a sequencer. Since neither the Sub Phatty nor the Minitaur come with an arp or sequencer (and the Minitaur doesn't have a keyboard), that looks like a good investment.

The bass sounds the Sub 37 can produce will be similar to what you can get out of your Sub Phatty, since both synths are pretty similar in their basic architecture.

ebowen4221

Post by ebowen4221 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:25 pm

breun wrote:I think the Arturia KeyStep is a pretty interesting unit. You get keys with aftertouch, pitch and mod controls, an arpeggiator and a sequencer. Since neither the Sub Phatty nor the Minitaur come with an arp or sequencer (and the Minitaur doesn't have a keyboard), that looks like a good investment.

The bass sounds the Sub 37 can produce will be similar to what you can get out of your Sub Phatty, since both synths are pretty similar in their basic architecture.
The Arturia Keystep is okay for sequencing in my opinion. There's no clear sequence function, you have no idea what step you're on, and the user interface is just a little lacking. I run a Beatstep Pro for my Minitaur, and it's awesome. There's aftertouch on the BSP, but no pitch or mod. But there is the ability to see your sequence in real time, make real time edits, or start from a blank sequence. The other thing I've done is to plug a little MIDI board into the BSP, which will then put notes to the sequences, and have pitch and mod.

I have the Keystep to provide sequences to my Nord Stage so I have some nice poly sequences. But as soon as Arturia drops a Keystep Pro that is a polyphonic BSP, I'll be buying serial #1.