Minimoog Model D Reissue

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Borchi

Minimoog Model D Reissue

Post by Borchi » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:30 am

Hi,
i got my Mini last week and I am absolutely happy.

Just two things.....
1) The noise volume is very low compared to the 3 Osc`s. Is there any way to adjust the noise Volume?
2) Has anybody an idea if there will be a mod for the 1979 pitch wheel :) 0area is very tight and hard to play

i am looking forward to your answers

Best regards from Germany

Juergen

janschultink

Re: Minimoog Model D Reissue

Post by janschultink » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:37 am

Noise is very sensitive to the filter, check what happens if you open it up fully

Borchi

Post by Borchi » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:34 am

sure it is :) if I open the filter without any oscilator running it is loud, very loud but it is still not loud enough compared to the osc output. therefore the question.
Unfortunately here at EMC (German distributor) nobody is answering mail.

Thanks
Juergen

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:20 am

Borchi wrote:Hi,

Just two things.....
1) The noise volume is very low compared to the 3 Osc`s. Is there any way to adjust the noise Volume?
2) Has anybody an idea if there will be a mod for the 1979 pitch wheel :) 0area is very tight and hard to play

Juergen

The noise level is just very very low. Way to low. It is a major disappointment for me. Basically I cant even use it unless the oscillators are set at 2. This has caused problems for the music I play because I would use noise during jams to come in like we are playing in a storm or something. With the oscillators set at 2 I just cant get enough volume out of my PA speakers for live settings.

Luckily I have other noise sources..

My pitch wheel has loosened with use and also I've gotten used to it so I think that will turn out OK for you in the long run.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:32 pm

sub guy wrote:
Borchi wrote:Hi,

Just two things.....

Juergen

The noise level is just very very low. Way to low. It is a major disappointment for me. Basically I cant even use it unless the oscillators are set at 2. This has caused problems for the music I play because I would use noise during jams to come in like we are playing in a storm or something. With the oscillators set at 2 I just cant get enough volume out of my PA speakers for live settings.

Luckily I have other noise sources..

My pitch wheel has loosened with use and also I've gotten used to it so I think that will turn out OK for you in the long run.
This sounds to me like a malfunctioning noise generator. Why don't you contact Moog's support? Remember to have a recording of the problem, they will ask for it anyway
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

hofi

Post by hofi » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:47 pm

I have at home also low noise in relation to the volume of oscillators.
It also has the Voyager Blue Edition and here the noise level is much louder. Also in the 37 Sub noise is louder.

Is that all models have? Is that how it has been designed? Is it maybe a factory error?

hofi

Post by hofi » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:32 pm

Welcome back.
Service Moog work quickly, many thanks! I got the answer in this case:

"Hi Marek,

The noise will be lower in volume than the Sub 37 or Voyager on the Model D. If you want to pass along audio samples of the oscillators and noise volume you can and I will be more than happy to listen to them. However I will say that this does sound like normal operating behavior for the Model D.

Thanks,
NATHAN MARINO
SERVICE TECHNICIAN
MOOG MUSIC INC."

hofi

Post by hofi » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:33 pm

When analyzing the volume of the noise, I discovered the problem. I do not know why that is. I changed the power socket and at the beginning it's like gone, then back again.

Pulse appears repeatedly, despite the change in the power socket. Also checked at the output of AUX is the same.
What to do with this?

I send a file - Minimoog D - white nose impuls problem 2.wav:
Only white noise,
- Main volume max=10
- Volume white noise max=10
- Cutoff change from 0 to 10 and then to 0

And earlier file, when you hear the white noise triggered impulse - Minimoog Noise White problem impuls.wav

You can hear in the background every few seconds a sound pulse.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/37llno3isj1a ... ZYV2a?dl=0

Update:
I think I found a solution to the problem. After removing the midi cable from the socket IN, who was not connected pulses, interference disappeared. It probably was the cause of the problem.