MF-105M + Ableton: MIDI connection issue

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
moodwood

MF-105M + Ableton: MIDI connection issue

Post by moodwood » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:33 am

Hello there~

I ditched most of my (guitar) effect pedals, because of the lack of midi functionality, after I started to work with Ableton for my live set.
The newer -M Moogerfoogers are awesome and my MF-105M worked flawless until a few days back: every time I hit «play» now, it cuts off the MF and puts it in some kind of near-death mode where it is running in bypass but not able to do anything else until I dis- and reconnect the power.
I was able to break down the issue to the MIDI connection – as soon as I removed MIDI, everything worked as before.
Since the last update Ableton added Link, a feature that runs MIDI messages over a wi-fi connection to everyone who is in the same network. Of course I tried and disable Link and I'm going to ask the same question in an Ableton forum, I just wanted to be sure, that this could be the issue or if anyone else faced a similar problem with their MF-M.

Thanks in advance!
/M
I basically live in Internetland.

latigid on

Re: MF-105M + Ableton: MIDI connection issue

Post by latigid on » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:35 am

Hoi!

I would run the MIDI stream through a monitor and cross-reference any stray notes/CC being sent out with functions on the MF. You could also try setting different channels on the MFs.

The "death mode" you describe could also be heavy MIDI traffic overloading the input of the 'fooger.

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:30 pm

I noticed similar problem with my MF-105M and MF-104M and ProTools when trying to midi sync the pedals.
I rebooted the foogers and then they worked fine.
It seems it is somehow related to midi clock messages and their processing in the pedals.
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

mikey5string

Post by mikey5string » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:51 pm

My 105M did that intermittently a month or so ago. I would have to disconnect the power to reset it.