Can my voyager and dark time do this??

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
hucklebee

Can my voyager and dark time do this??

Post by hucklebee » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:31 pm

I'll start by saying that I am new to the world of synthesis... come from a long background of making music though (mostly guitar).

That said, I am trying to determine if I can accomplish the following with my voyager and dark time, or if I need the MuRF to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NOhpbLwU8

At about the 3:14 mark, he starts playing basic melodies within the context of the pattern that the MuRF is playing. I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out if that is possible with the Dark Time. I gotta believe that it is, but I have not seen anything online that explains it. I am interested in the MuRF for other reasons, but right now I am trying to figure out if I can change pitch value (i.e. create a melody) within the context of a step sequence.

any insight is extremely appreciated.

cheers,

Jeff

jsharpphoto

Re: Can my voyager and dark time do this??

Post by jsharpphoto » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:24 am

Technically, sort of. You can mimic that sound but using the CV (normally pitch) out of the dark time, plugged into the voyager's Filter CV input. Use the knobs on the dark time to "tune" each step of the filter.

Or

If you are less picky about being able to manually tune each step, and just want the stepped filter rhythm, the voyager can do this all by itself. Use "S&H" of the LFO, and route it to the Filter
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

latigid on

Re: Can my voyager and dark time do this??

Post by latigid on » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:10 am

The MuRF and Voyager filters are quite different. The MuRF has 8 BP (or 7 + 1 LP) filters that can al be "active" at one time, with their levels controlled by the sliders. The Voyager has dual LP with width controlled by spacing, or a BP mode.

You can definitely do filter modulation as JS says, but the flavour will be different Additionally, you'd have to trigger the Filter Envelope with the Dark Time to get the articulation. I'm pretty sure the MuRF has EG control over each filter band's VCA, which leads to the "smearing" effect with filters in various stages of attack and decay.