2 Mothers - OSC sync?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
jeebustrain

2 Mothers - OSC sync?

Post by jeebustrain » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:29 pm

I just picked up a pair of them this past weekend during a trip to Chicago (stopped @ Synth City). Anyway, I've been trying to basically recreate a bunch of my Sub37 patches in an effort to learn them better. One thing I haven't been able to figure out is oscillator sync. Is there a way to sync the oscillators? I haven't found anything in the manual, nor could I find a patch point for it. Does this exist in this setup?

Stevie Ray

Re: 2 Mothers - OSC sync?

Post by Stevie Ray » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:26 pm

There's no way to sync the oscillators between two mother 32s unfortunately.

stevemashburn

Post by stevemashburn » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:49 pm

I hope Moog can do a firm ware update that adds this function. I think to market the dual and triple rack and not to have sync is a little dishonest (albeit unintended) on their part.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:45 pm

stevemashburn wrote:I hope Moog can do a firm ware update that adds this function. I think to market the dual and triple rack and not to have sync is a little dishonest (albeit unintended) on their part.
The only firmware in the M32 is to control the sequencer. The rest of it is pure analogue and hard-wired. So you're out of luck sport.

Had Moog provided a synch-in socket for the M32's oscillator then that would have been great, but you can't have it all at that price.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:37 pm

Just to add to that, the firmware in the M32 also handles the MIDI input and 'assignable output', but this doesn't help with oscillator sync.

There is simply no sync input in the M32 oscillator's hardware design. No amount of firmware changes will ever fix this. Maybe a Mark II Mother will arrive in due course with that feature, but for now we're stuck with it. Personally I don't find it a limitation.

The only solution right now is to get another Eurorack oscillator with a synch-in capability to sit alongside the M32, or use a wave-shaping module to approximate (poorly) the same effect.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:46 pm

I use the FreqBox and it works great, unfortunately it is discontinued
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:35 pm

bichuelo wrote:I use the FreqBox and it works great, unfortunately it is discontinued
The FreqBox was also insanely expensive for what it did. The internal circuitry was rudimentary, to say the least.

paul_sub37

Post by paul_sub37 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:02 pm

stevemashburn wrote:I hope Moog can do a firm ware update that adds this function. I think to market the dual and triple rack and not to have sync is a little dishonest (albeit unintended) on their part.
dishonest? seems unwarranted.

Surely the onus is on the buyer to check the spec of something before they buy it.

The owners manual is readily available to check features, and there's clearly nothing on the front panel to suggest oscillator sync.

It's not like there aren't multi-oscillator synths that don't have oscillator sync, yet you think it's dishonest for a single-oscillator synth to not have it just because you can buy a rack to house 2/3 of them.
My Sub 37 Patches - Sub 37 + Mother 32 + UR-44 + OS X 10.11/Ableton Live/Logic Pro X + Push 2

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:23 pm

paul_sub37 wrote:
dishonest? seems unwarranted.

Surely the onus is on the buyer to check the spec of something before they buy it.

The owners manual is readily available to check features, and there's clearly nothing on the front panel to suggest oscillator sync.

It's not like there aren't multi-oscillator synths that don't have oscillator sync, yet you think it's dishonest for a single-oscillator synth to not have it just because you can buy a rack to house 2/3 of them.
I Agree completely with Paul
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:39 pm

Look. It's very simple. The Mother 32 oscillators have no synch capability. That's it. End of.