Model D arrived today in the UK

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
johnts

Model D arrived today in the UK

Post by johnts » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:24 pm

A day of celebration.

My Model D arrived today, absolutely stunning and not even connected up properly yet. The quality of the build is superb, a work of art before you even turn it on. I longed for a Model D since the seventies, always just out or reach because of price and circumstance but now after 40 years or so I finally have one. Time now to go back to some synthesis basics and fun.

Thank you Moog for again producing a superb instrument.

:D
Minimoog Model D reissue | Arturia Matrixbrute | Moog One 16 voice | Nord Stage 3 | David Gilmour Fender Black Strat NOS | Roger Waters Fender Bass |

captainkidd

Re: Model D arrived today in the UK

Post by captainkidd » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:40 pm

That's wonderful! I can't keep my hands of mine. I have hardly used any of my other gear since I got the Model D. I am sure that will change after some time.

Have fun and post some music up from it.

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:22 am

Mine arrived yesterday too - fabulous :D

Very similar back story to John, above... always wanted one from when they were first manufactured

My info is that only 25 arrived in the UK and 2 of those are being held back for reviews etc.... so 23 only available ... well 20 now :D

R.

captainkidd

Post by captainkidd » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:16 pm

Rufus the Dog wrote: My info is that only 25 arrived in the UK and 2 of those are being held back for reviews etc.... so 23 only available ... well 20 now :D

R.
I'm in the states myself so there is actually 21 (of course that's metric so you have to double it and add 30 :lol: )

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:49 pm

captainkidd wrote:(of course that's metric so you have to double it and add 30 :lol: )
:lol:

rbmusic

Post by rbmusic » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:30 pm

got mine yesterday and i echo the op's comments and compliments. It really is a truly wonderful thing. A work of art, stunningly well crafted and it sounds just completely different to my ears than my sub 37 or Mother 32. It is just dripping with fluid cream!

The midi timing is as sharp as anything you'd expect and it has recorded very cleanly with no weird noises or electrical tom foolery.
In fact its also one of the easiest synths ive dropped into a mix by a fair margin.

I cannot believe i finally have one and it has become my favourite synth among quite a collection. Its just head and shoulders above anything else for sheer personality.
oh and that new fatar bed is delicious!! incredible playing feel and quality.

big thank you to Moog for reissuing this beast.

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:02 am

i got mine yesterday in Australia. They just landed. Same deal...i still cant believe i now own one. I just sat and looked at it for like an hour last nite. Ive been dreaming of this moment forever since i was a kid in the 80s and they seemed to move further and further away in price from my grasp. And they were looking more beaten up and unreliable as each year passed.

played a single 3 oscillator saw note for the wife into headphones last nite, and tried to explain to her about "analog" and she just said after listening..."it feels like it is melting my brain." haha. She also described it as "nice wooden furniture". Well at least i am not banished to the garage for eternity for the purchase

Thank you Moog for listening to the market and your customers and not being afraid to remake a classic! Now if only Roland would make the Jupiter 8 again in the same way, my dreams would be realized. But they are too chickenshit and stubborn it seems. I still cling to the hope that they will finally "wake up".

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:37 pm

Absolutely agree. Was on hols when my music shop sent email saying it had just arrived in U.K., did I want to pick it up!!!! I have had to wait close on 2 weeks to get back and pick up today, hardest holiday I've ever had to take.

It is as good as I'd hoped, and that really is the test isn't it? After using every emulation and sample set to finally own the real thing is quite something.

I'm currently just noodling (aside from this brief interlude) and both making new sounds as well as programming the classics that have really eluded me for decades on other boards/software.

My studio is now complete.

Congratulations and respect to Moog for not messing (too much) with what Bob created and giving us back the classic minimoog.

:D :D :D :D

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:39 am

Iaamusic wrote:My studio is now complete.
I bet it won't last ;)

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:53 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:
I bet it won't last ;)
.... just until a PolyMoog arrives :D

R.

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:17 am

Rufus the Dog wrote:
stiiiiiiive wrote:
I bet it won't last ;)

R.
Funnily enough when I registered the model d it asked what they thought they should next do.....I said a memorymoog for the 21st century!!!!

ha! I wonder.......

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:16 pm

Iaamusic wrote:
Rufus the Dog wrote:
stiiiiiiive wrote:
I bet it won't last ;)

R.
Funnily enough when I registered the model d it asked what they thought they should next do.....I said a memorymoog for the 21st century!!!!

ha! I wonder.......
I said pretty much the same :D

R.

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:02 pm

Just a quick update on my experience with new Model D - I cant believe how just one oscillator can sound so nice??? I went back to most of my other stuff just to look at why that could be. I think I had got so used to taking a preset as a start and then modifying rather than working from an init preset. So a lesson already for me is to start over with my sounds and be clear about the fundamental tone rather than work backwards. I am still amazed at the craftsmanship - its rare to find oneself looking at the instrument as much as playing it - but I guess that was part of the feedback Bob originally had was that the D had to look and feel like an instrument - it makes me play interact with it more like an instrument too.

I have started using init parameters on the voyager now almost exclusively when i have used it!!

Ian

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:38 pm

I was just moving my Moog packaging and found a cardboard tube (which I'd assumed was part of the protection during transit). Anyway, turns out it contained a really cool Keith Emerson playing model d poster!!! How wonderful, it's being framed this weekend and getting on the studio wall. Emerson was a true virtuoso and musician and a real inspiration to me. Thanks Moog - a lovely thought.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:35 pm

Iaamusic wrote:I was just moving my Moog packaging and found a cardboard tube (which I'd assumed was part of the protection during transit). Anyway, turns out it contained a really cool Keith Emerson playing model d poster!!! How wonderful, it's being framed this weekend and getting on the studio wall. Emerson was a true virtuoso and musician and a real inspiration to me. Thanks Moog - a lovely thought.
That's the thing about Moog - they always get the little things right. Nice touch :D