Sub 37's Powering Compatability

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
H_M_D

Sub 37's Powering Compatability

Post by H_M_D » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:32 am

Hello there!

I'm interested in buying a Sub 37 from a friend but in the U.K. but there could be a huge problem. I hope somebody can help.

I live in Japan. If I buy this synth (originally purchased from Dawson's UK and still under warranty) will I have a problems with voltage etc and the power chord or powering the device when I bring it back to Japan?

I have emailed this to Moog but I haven't heard anything back yet. I kinda need to fire an answer back to the guy pretty snappy so I wondered if any of you nice folk could enlighten me?

latigid on

Re: Sub 37's Powering Compatability

Post by latigid on » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:35 am

Hey, take a look at the owner's manual, there you'll find the power requirements. Normally Moogs have a multi-voltage PSU with an IEC inlet.

H_M_D

Post by H_M_D » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:50 pm

Thanks a lot. It says this:
POWER
Plug one end of the supplied AC cord into the standard IEC power connector on the Sub 37’s left-side panel. Plug the other end into an AC outlet. Warning: An apparatus with CLASS I construction (such as this device) shall be connected to a MAINS socket outlet with a protective earthing connection. The Sub 37’s universal power supply will operate with 50/60Hz AC power sources ranging from 100 to 240 VAC / 50-60 Hz using 13W. Flip on the power switch located next to the power connector.

I think it should be ok but unfortunately I am not certain.

Hmmm...

DUBMCT

Post by DUBMCT » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:43 pm

It will work just fine for you.

Its one of the very nice things about the sub. This "built in" wide range power supply saved me playing an outdoor gig with a bad generator that was putting out 20 volts too much for Canada (120 + 20) . Also good if you tour around the world.
MOOG: micro/sub/37/M32/DFAM/105m/MF delay/MF trem

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:51 pm

You just need an appliance cord with a standard 3-pin IEC line socket at one end and a Japanese plug (Type B) at the other (earth pin must be connected). You don't need to worry about local AC voltage or frequency. The power supply in the Sub 37, like all modern power supplies, is designed to handle it.

H_M_D

Post by H_M_D » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:55 am

Yes, the grounding was one of my issues but I've seen how they do it out here so it's no problem. I also received an email from Moog. Now all concerns have been squashed thanks to my synth loving friends from all over the world!

Hmmmm the editor will be checked out at some point but the computer stays firmly away from any and all of my music making machines. I've had the Minitaur for ages and have found no need to use the editor yet.

Thanks again everyone! Playing shows around the world. That is a dream!