Out of tune - brand new Minimoog Model D

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
tigre25

Out of tune - brand new Minimoog Model D

Post by tigre25 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:42 am

Hi,
Today I received my brand new Minimoog Model D. I tried to play it simultaneously in the same time both hands with Moog Sub37 and I noticed that I have to tune minimoog model d by using TUNE knob by 0,5 up.

It is not a big deal but how to tune minimoog model d? I want to have tune in 0 position and basic freq
Minimoog Model D Vintage 2016, 2x Moog Sub-37, Rhodes Fender MK II, Hohner Strings Melody, 2x SIEL Orchestra 2, Arturia 88, Oberheim OB3 Rack
Ableton, Focusrite, Steinberg, Macbook Pro

DeckardTrinity

Re: Out of tune - brand new Minimoog Model D

Post by DeckardTrinity » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:59 pm

How long did you let it warm up for? My Voyager XL needs at least 5 minutes before it is in tune with the Sub 37. The Sub 37 seems to be almost instantaneously in tune after powering on by comparison.

MC

Post by MC » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:38 pm

DeckardTrinity wrote:My Voyager XL needs at least 5 minutes before it is in tune with the Sub 37. The Sub 37 seems to be almost instantaneously in tune after powering on by comparison.
That's because Voyager has exponential v/oct VCOs and the sub 37/minitaur/sub phatty/T3 have linear v/hz VCOs.

An expo VCO has components to perform the exponential conversion but because certain components are temperature sensitive they require a warmup period.

A linear VCO is the same thing with the elimination of the expo converter. That's why it doesn't need a warmup, but it isn't as flexible as the expo VCO.

There are expo VCOs that are REALLY good and don't need warmup. The ProSoloist is a rock solid albeit preset synth, and my OBX with discrete VCOs (and lemony fresh trimpots) is dead in tune on power up.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

tigre25

Post by tigre25 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:39 pm

Thanks. I'm going to perform a tune test right now
Minimoog Model D Vintage 2016, 2x Moog Sub-37, Rhodes Fender MK II, Hohner Strings Melody, 2x SIEL Orchestra 2, Arturia 88, Oberheim OB3 Rack

tigre25

Post by tigre25 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:08 pm

Ok you are right, I was to fast. Now the oscillators pitch are stable and equal to normal frequency/ it is the same basic frequency in sub37,
Thanks for sharing your experience,

best regards,
Bartek, Olsztyn, Poland