Mini Moog Model D and fuses

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
jonaslie

Mini Moog Model D and fuses

Post by jonaslie » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:37 pm

i have a problem getting a hold of the proper fuses for my mini moog model d after i blew it the other day. the specs on the blown fuse is "313 3AG, 1/4A 250V" and it has a little resistor inside it. ive never seen anything like it, and neither have any of the electric shop people ive talked to. im wondering if anybody knows wether i safely can use a normal slo blo fuse, and to what specs, of if not, where i can get my hands on one of these weird ones... also i live in norway. wich might not help...

sincerely.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:20 pm

You gotta be kidding - your shop people failed to recognize a slow blow fuse? That "little resistor" is the slow blow element.

The back panel should have the fuse amperage rating stamped right on it.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:29 pm

Just a note that if your Mini has been retrofitted for the later temperature stabilized VCO board, a 1/2 amp fuse (instead of a 1/4 amp) is recommended.
This for the 1/4 amp -10 volt DC fuse with the black fuse cap.
The AC fuse (with the red fuse cap) should remain at 1/4 amp.

(The later VCO boards draw much more current than the earlier ones.)

Jaythejunkie

Re: Mini Moog Model D and fuses

Post by Jaythejunkie » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:58 pm

where in the world are you supposed to get the moog fuses?
Mini came with wrong fuses. black caps. they say -10 and +10V this is way out of my skill set.

spiders

Post by spiders » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:08 pm

If by wrong fuses you mean the unit won't turn on because they are blown, you probably have a bigger problem than a blown fuse.
The +/- 10 v refers to the respective power supplies the fuses are on. Don't worry too much about that last statement. You use the same type of fuse, 1/4 or 1/2amp slo blow depending on your mini (some places may call slo blo "time delay") for both the + and - 10 v fuses. You can buy them pretty much anywhere that sells electronics, many hardware stores, and online. Very common items these fuses.
Fuses are safety devices that kill themselves if too much current passes through them. They do this do save the circuit further down the line from the fuse, where something just went wrong. They are the canary in the coalmine, if you will. They throw themselves on the grenade of runaway current, which would otherwise fry everything and cause a fire.
They do sometimes just blow, but usually they blow for a reason and you should be cautious with your unit the next time you turn it on. If you thrown in a replacement fuse and it pops right away or after a few seconds, things are not going good for your mini and a trip to the nearest qualified tech is coming up for you.

Jaythejunkie

Post by Jaythejunkie » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:55 pm

thanks found them.

No they are automotive fuses. Also not even blown they were lost.