Best Sequencer for Multiple Moogerfoogers?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
deadhedgehog

Re: Best Sequencer for Multiple Moogerfoogers?

Post by deadhedgehog » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:25 am

GregAE: that looks like a beautiful solution. However I lack your skills in this regard.

Just to be clear, IS there any problem with using the Beatstep Pro with moogerfoogers? On the Arturia homepage https://www.arturia.com/faq/utilization ... -questions it says that 10V "won't broke your machine" (sic) if it requires 5V.

I would be sending the drum gates to moogerfoogers by CV, and my LPii.

Would koma attenuator cables with adaptors be sufficient, or is it better to invest in a couple of those 5-attenuator modules mentioned earlier?

Kirneh Ness

Post by Kirneh Ness » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:30 am

deadhedgehog wrote: Just to be clear, IS there any problem with using the Beatstep Pro with moogerfoogers? On the Arturia homepage https://www.arturia.com/faq/utilization ... -questions it says that 10V "won't broke your machine" (sic) if it requires 5V.
I would like to know the authoritative answer to this as well. The internet is full of conflicting information ranging from "no problems" to "burning your Moog". I simply don't understand the sentence from Arturia: "Gates go to 10V and higher, therefore it will work and won't broke your machine if it requires 5V." I thought anything above 5V is a potential problem for Moog gear, so how can 10V and higher be a non problem?
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:18 am

I use my beat step pro(s) to control everything from my modular to my 104M and Koma FT-201.

Another great option that no one has mentioned is the Voice of Saturn sequencer. You get a very usable voltage range, it can run at almost audio rates, you get a gate output per step, a summed gate output, it's got 1/4" jacks, it's not plastic, it's less than most moogerfoogers. If you ever want to move up to a 5u modular, the sequencer can be moved directly into a modular case, it will run off of almost any power.

I think the only reason it's not more popular, is because people just don't know it exists.

ALSO

Individual gate on/off per step. And you can run it off of an external or the internal clock. You can even plug in a momentary foot switch into the clock input, and it will just advance one step when you step on the switch. I'm not exactly sure why Moog hasn't made something similar already. I bought mine for $300 shipped.

Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

captainkidd

Post by captainkidd » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:13 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:I bought mine for $300 shipped.

Or if you're halfway handy with a soldering iron they sell a kit for $140.00

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:32 pm

captainkidd wrote:
jsharpphoto wrote:I bought mine for $300 shipped.

Or if you're halfway handy with a soldering iron they sell a kit for $140.00
Preach.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:05 am

Very tempting. Is the VOS panel anodized or silkscreened?

FWIW, I believe the VOS is the only 5U-sized module that that Synthrotek makes - the rest is all Eurorack, pedals, and circuit boards/kits.

Wished they offered some of their other products in 5U... :(

captainkidd

Post by captainkidd » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:44 pm

GregAE wrote:FWIW, I believe the VOS is the only 5U-sized module that that Synthrotek makes - the rest is all Eurorack, pedals, and circuit boards/kits.

Yeah I am pretty sure that's the only 5U product they have. They are local to me, I go down there usualy a couple times a month. I almost got the VOS when I first started building modular stuff but ended up getting their Sequence 8 sequencer since I was putting together a Eurorack setup but I still keep thinking about getting one just for the heck of it. So far all my modules are Synthrotek.

With that said I am seriously thinking about starting to put together a 5U setup. I will probably start off with some DOTCOM modules since they are actually realatively inexpensive. Then I will start looking into some 5U kits. I just have a few more Euro modules I need to put together and don't really have the extra time to do any 5U kits yet.

FourLegsGood

Post by FourLegsGood » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:13 pm

The VOS is aesthetically perfect. However it doesn't hold patches/ have midi capability. That makes it hard for guitarists who can't have their hands on the sequencer to start/stop the sequence.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:55 pm

GregAE wrote:Very tempting. Is the VOS panel anodized or silkscreened?

FWIW, I believe the VOS is the only 5U-sized module that that Synthrotek makes - the rest is all Eurorack, pedals, and circuit boards/kits.

The panel is etched.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2