No pitch-bend spring return on new minimoogs !!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Didge

No pitch-bend spring return on new minimoogs !!

Post by Didge » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:30 pm

What I can’t quite understand is, why didn’t Moog put a SPRING RETURN ON THE PITCH WHEEL !! – A lot of original minimoogs had one fitted as a retrofit by 3rd.party companys way back in the 70s and 80s ! Moog – why didn’t you do this – and don’t say “we wanted to keep it as close to the original as possible” ‘cos that bird has flown ages ago ! It would only have added a couple of dollars to the cost price.We players always know that the pitch wheel NEVER returned to exactly the centre position on the original minimoog - it was a pain in the A**S.All keyboards and synths these days have a spring return on the pitch wheel.Can’t believe you missed that one Moog !

MC

Re: No pitch-bend spring return on new minimoogs !!

Post by MC » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:51 pm

Where were you during the 1970s/80s? The Minimoog didn't have spring loaded wheels, but neither did the Prodigy, The Source, Sonic 6, Rogue, Taurus 2, Oberheim FVS/EVS/TVS, Korg Polysix, Mono/Poly, Prophet 5, Memorymoog...

There were real players during the 1970s. They cut their teeth on Minimoogs without springs on the pitch wheel. It's a different technique that has its advantages. Deal with it. No amount of foot-stomping or banging your fists on the floor will compel the world to conform to your petulant demands. Nobody missed anything. I grew up during the 1970s and have played many Moog synths from the 70s - have yet to find one retrofitted with springs on the pitch wheel. If you truly grew up during the 70s, you would had known of a much better solution to returning Minimoog pitch wheel to center position than springs.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:14 pm

Hi, Didge!

Thanks, for verifying that it doesn't have a spring, I was curious about that too.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Didge

Post by Didge » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:08 am

Oh yes I just remembered - Moog did actually put a ribbon on the Micromoog and the Polymoog - to control the pitch-bend !

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:16 pm

also asked the same question some other topic.
thanks.
think it's a very good decision not to put a spring. now i can control myself if i want it to return to 0 or stay at the interval i set it to.
wished many many more other companies ( incl moog) would implement the same on their machines. Seriously considered to remove the spring from my voyager, but seems to be difficult to get a wide enough gap of 0 volt+ a good feelingpoint when i'm in the middle

edit ps: on my old model-d a simple modification was made the pitch bend always return to 0 volt, the gap was widdened , so that their was more space in the gutterregion in which it stayed at 0 volt or something like that. always thought it was a very common , well known modification on the pitchwheel...

Didge

Post by Didge » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:51 am

Yes I see what you are saying - and if it works for you great ! However - I play Keyboards / Vocals every week of the year practically and I haven't got time during a song to mess around with getting the pitch wheel in the right position.Its's funny that Moog have the spring return on The Voyager / Sub 37 / Phatty etc..... so why not the Mini ??? Every other manufacturer of keyboards/ synths for the last 25 odd years has put a spring return on the pitch wheel !!

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:04 am

Unfortunately yes
The minimoog has a click in the middle where it is exact 0 volt ( after modification)
Just see it as a tip

MC

Post by MC » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:48 am

The pitch wheels on old Moog synths - and likely the model D reissue - have a detent at center position so it is very easy to quickly set the wheel back to pitch.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:18 pm

I always thought Moog invented the spring return on the pitch wheel. The first Moog product with this feature I know of was the 1972 introduced Sonic Six. Moog called it the "Floating Touch Pitch Bender". My early Sonic Six with a build date of 1973 has this type bender
Can See the mechanism here:

Looking at this type pitch bend setup, it would seem Roland copied the Moog design and put a lever where Moog had an indent on the wheel.
I did find a Moog service bulletin dated May 1984 where a retro fit kit was available for a spring loaded wheel.

I do prefer the early type smooth wheel on the Minimoog. I have a later Norlin era Mini that came with the serrated plastic wheels. Those have a much deeper groove for the center detent. I ended up swapping out the newer style and replacing them with the earlier type.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:32 pm

Note also the anti-parallel diodes that limit the voltage change at the centre -- an "electrical" deadband. Presumably something like this is on the Mini? It'd also be possible to do it in software if the pitchbend was tied into the MIDI-CV.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:06 pm

The official dead band mod from back in the day.

Some liked it, while some claimed it removed the subtle vibrato one could get. Never tried it myself?
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six