Which simple but effective seuqencer for Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
fietspomp

Which simple but effective seuqencer for Voyager

Post by fietspomp » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:23 pm

I have considered to trade my Voyager for the Sub37 because of the sequencer. But I like the Voyager better after all.

Is there an external easy going not too expensive sequencer that can do the same job with the Voyager?

stiiiiiiive

Re: Which simple but effective seuqencer for Voyager

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:16 am

I 've read only good things about the SQ-1. No memory though. Arturia make some as well.

I'm sure real users will chime in :)

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:02 am

Korg SQ-1. It's only $99, and provides a lot of features for something simple and small. No memory as Stiiiiive pointed out (did I get the amount of 'i's right?), but a solid little fun box. Readily available at most music stores & online from the usual retailers. In fact, you could pick one up today from any GC...

Note that if you go with the SQ-1, you'll need a few 1/8" to 1/4" adapters for CV operation, although you could just get away with using MIDI (the SQ-1 comes with a special MIDI output adapter) You'll also want to pick up a USB Power plug (AKA USB Wall Charger) to power the SQ-1, as the thing eats batteries.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:34 am

GregAE wrote:No memory as Stiiiiive pointed out (did I get the amount of 'i's right?)
Two are missing, but keep them as a giift ;)

Batteries, right: this is the second possible reason why some don't like the SQ1.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:02 am

I love the sq-1. As a modulation/gate sequencer. Not as a melodic sequencer.

Get a beatstep pro. They got a bit of a bad wrap on the initial launch due to buggy firmware, but it's all been resolved. I liked mine so much, that I bought a second one. It is an invaluable tool in my system, and I have 8 sequencers in my setup, not including my DAW.

Here's how you can use the beatstep pro to its fullest, even with only one synth, the voyager. Assuming you have all of the CV I/O of either an XL or a 351/2 setup....

1. Connect midi out of the sequencer into midi in of the voyager.
2. Connect pitch and velocity CV outputs of your sequencer to things like the filter cutoff and/or your other favorite modulation inputs. Connect any of the drum outs of the sequencer to things like the S&H clock input, envelope trigger, LFO sync....
3. Use sequencer lane 1 to program your melodic sequence. If you want you can even feed the sequencer midi FROM the voyager to use the Moog keyboard instead of the pads on the sequencer.
4. Use sequencer lane 2 to program modulations. remember it's connected to pitch and velocity, so think of it like "keyboard tracking" for voltage. Higher notes produce more voltage, and harder notes produce more velocity (which also results in higher voltage).
5. If you run your melodic sequence at a different subdivision from your modulation, and they have different sequence lengths, you can create very intricate patterns that evolve on their own.
6. Program the different drums of sequencer lane 3 as different clock sources. Use it to make your melodic sequencer ratchet by triggering the voyager's envelopes multiple times per step of the melodic sequence.

And save. Yes it's 2.5x the cost of the sq-1. But it's like 20 times more useful.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:12 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:
GregAE wrote:No memory as Stiiiiive pointed out (did I get the amount of 'i's right?)
Two are missing, but keep them as a giift ;)

Batteries, right: this is the second possible reason why some don't like the SQ1.
Are you using a Select Series? Or, are you satisfied with the light on your panel?

If the lamp power is free, you could use the 12v output between the MIDI outputs and the CVs to power the SQ1, couldn't you?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:42 pm

Not inexpensive, but I love the MAQ16/3 to sequence my Voyager. It just does SO much . and a lot less expensive than a 960 suite or an STG Soundlabs Time Suite for the Berlin School stuff I do.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

NickGrooves

Post by NickGrooves » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:39 am

I have a Møog Mother-32 for melodic sequencing. I only got it last month, so I have not yet tried percussion loops or beat sequences. But I do love it. I'm curious ...

Why use an instrument with a keyboard (like Voyager) to accent / tweak your beats? Why not use a non-key instrument like the Mother-32, and save your Voyager for melodic lines?

I have VERY little experience with beat machines, even though I grew up in the 80s, so any explanations or reasoning you feel like providing (no matter how "obvious" it may be) is much appreciated. I'm here to learn.
Voyager select
Mother-32
Hammond XK-3c
Emu Proteus 2000
ProTools

guarachiguaro

Post by guarachiguaro » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:46 pm

+1 for a beatstep pro; since they did the last firmware update, I ve had no problems at all with it. I use it with a voyager rme via midi as i dont have the cv xpander. work great for me, although i do quite minimal stuff with it so I never really pushed its capabilities data wise...

MBlom

Post by MBlom » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:52 am

I really like my Dark Time. Sends MIDI as well as CV with lots of I/O. I can send one row to Voyager via MIDI and the other row to CV in on Mooogerfooger delay controlling Mix or Feedback. Love that it's so tactile (?) with its switches and (lager than SQ1) knobs
Latest gigs
https://youtu.be/Fpvi7Jrq8DQ
http://youtu.be/owdKlBrUUKY

Minimoog Voyager EB & Minitaur + MF-101 + MF-103 + MF-104M + MF-107 + CP-251 + Minifooger Drive. MachineDrum UW + MonoMachine + Rickenbackerbass (-75) + Hagströmguitar (-75).

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:24 am

MBlom wrote:I really like my Dark Time. Sends MIDI as well as CV with lots of I/O. I can send one row to Voyager via MIDI and the other row to CV in on Mooogerfooger delay controlling Mix or Feedback. Love that it's so tactile (?) with its switches and (lager than SQ1) knobs

I have a dark time as well. I am still coming to grips with how to use it though: can you control it's notes with a midi keyboard?

I waste a lot of time fiddling with the knobs, to get certain pitches. a keyboard would be a lot easier to setup sequences

disclaimer: I am pretty much a NOOB, so may be missing something obvious :D

ps do you need a CV voltage adaptor to use it with the Moog? I thought Doepfer used different control voltages

MBlom

Post by MBlom » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:39 pm

ummagumma wrote: I have a dark time as well. I am still coming to grips with how to use it though: can you control it's notes with a midi keyboard?

I waste a lot of time fiddling with the knobs, to get certain pitches. a keyboard would be a lot easier to setup sequences
No, I don't think that's possible. Though you should try changing the 1V/2V/5V-switch to 1V. That way the knob only go one octave which makes it easier to dial certain notes. Less room for extreme CV-values though if you want to use the two rows for both notes and CV control.

I almost always use 1V. I use the Dark Time in my band doing the bass with Voyager and MF delay. And to leave harmonies open for the others I only do low and high octave, and maybe one or two notes in between. Work really well live! And I have a small MIDI-key to MIDI In to transpose the sequence.

Here's an example of how it sounds. Improvised gig with dancers. DT used from 14.00 to end.
https://youtu.be/g4Vc3TQnfKA

ummagumma wrote: ps do you need a CV voltage adaptor to use it with the Moog? I thought Doepfer used different control voltages
No, but to get full range of control (if you want to go from Min to Max on Moog gear) you have to have it set to 5V. Correct me, someone, if I'm wrong!
Latest gigs
https://youtu.be/Fpvi7Jrq8DQ
http://youtu.be/owdKlBrUUKY

Minimoog Voyager EB & Minitaur + MF-101 + MF-103 + MF-104M + MF-107 + CP-251 + Minifooger Drive. MachineDrum UW + MonoMachine + Rickenbackerbass (-75) + Hagströmguitar (-75).

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:14 pm

hey that was very cool!!

thx for the reply

Cheers

weary

Post by weary » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:33 pm

bichuelo wrote: If the lamp power is free, you could use the 12v output between the MIDI outputs and the CVs to power the SQ1, couldn't you?
I'm intrigued! Could you say more?
Voyager PE, VX-351, 2xCP-251, LittlePhatty SE II, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M

weary

Post by weary » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:40 am

weary wrote:
bichuelo wrote: If the lamp power is free, you could use the 12v output between the MIDI outputs and the CVs to power the SQ1, couldn't you?
I'm intrigued! Could you say more?
To power on my SQ-1 I use my iphone wall charger with USB 2.0 to Printer/scanner cable. It works well, and no barreries needed.
Voyager PE, VX-351, 2xCP-251, LittlePhatty SE II, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M