side panel colour and cut

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
aldred

side panel colour and cut

Post by aldred » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:02 am

Bit of a trivial one, but .... did the side panel colour and cut change? I have a new Mother-32 but it looks completely different from those in other photos and videos (including those on the Moog website). The colour is much lighter and the edges aren't as rounded. The closest I've been able to find to mine are the current photos of the Mother-32 on the Sweetwater page.

It's a shame. I ordered expecting a nice dark rounded antique look, but the panels look more like cheap coasters.

Like I said, trivial, but a bit of an annoyance.
How's everyone else's?

rplktr

Re: side panel colour and cut

Post by rplktr » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:24 am

Yes, the last empty 60HP case I ordered is like you're describing: lighter wood and less rounded edges. Mildly annoying but fortunately, when mounted in the 3-tier rack, the difference is negligible.

aldred

Post by aldred » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:11 am

Really. That is a shame then.
Wonder why they did that. I'm surprised there've not been more complaints. One Mother-32 standing alone looks quite different with the new sides. Nowhere near as cool.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:01 pm

Funny! I felt the exact opposite way.

I wanted my Mother-32 side panels to match my Sub 37s, Voyager RME, Minitaur, CP-251s, VX-351, VX-352, and all of the Moogerfoogers, so I had a neighbor cut new end caps duplicating the Foogerwood look:
M32-Foogerwood-DemonDan.JPG
M32-Foogerwood-DemonDan2.JPG
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

aldred

Post by aldred » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:10 pm

Nice. That's a good neighbour you have there!

I'm going to contact Moog to see if they can send me some of the old ones. The effect really is completey different, isn't it.
If they can't do anything, I think maybe I'll order from here ....

http://www.gmusynth.com/products/moog-m ... ood-panels

aldred

Post by aldred » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:25 am

Hmmmm. My second Mother came today and it's a different colour again! Very noticeably darker than the first, but nowhere near as cool as the originals and still cut squarely. Absolutely nothing like any of the Mothers in the commercial videos, those on the Moog website etc.

I have a stand on order, but putting the two together isn't going to look too good.
I've contacted Korg Japan (who distribute Moog here). I hope they can do something.

rplktr

Post by rplktr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:18 pm

The fact they are more square doesn't hinder anything. For my 4-tier Moog rack project I put the square cheeks behind the frame and left the gorgeous old-style ones on the top, exposed. It looks good. And even if the wood colors don't match perfectly, behind the black frame the color difference is negligible.

aldred

Post by aldred » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:30 pm

NIce set up!

I'll wait for my stand and see how they look, but I'm not too hopeful My two are more like two different cvolours than two different shades.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:04 pm

I have some of the early mothers and the wooden end cheeks varied in dimensions slightly. In fact they varied enough that I couldn't fit three of them in the 3-tier rack. The corner radius on the end cheeks wasn't precise and although the variation was only fractions of a millimetre, it prevented the holes lining up properly with the holes in the rack.

I considered opening up the holes in the rack with a file or taking a sander to the end cheeks, but gave up in the end and put the Mothers in a Eurorack case. The wood colour was pretty consistent though.

aldred

Post by aldred » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:59 pm

Stevie, funny you should say that. My two-tier rack came a couple of days ago and I had trouble lining up the Mothers. If I lined the cheeks up, the horionztal gap between the two machines was uneven - zero on the left but 3 or 4 millimetres on the right. That looked terrible. So I had to adjust it by moving the machines foward and back in the rack. It looks fine from the front now, but if you look from the side, the upper machine is not flush with the frame on one side. It's a good 3 or 4 millimetres out.

Moog have kindly helped me out with the panel colour.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:59 pm

Yeah. I was a bit disappointed with the accuracy of the end cheeks. I ordered the 3-tier rack but couldn't fit three Mothers in it at the same time.

I measured the end cheeks and the corner radius varied quite a bit. Up to +/- 0.7mm, which doesn't matter at all for a desktop unit, but it's enough that you can't fit them in the supplied rack without forcing the screws, or opening up the holes in the rack.

I took the end cheeks off and used spacers to get the Mothers to fit, which worked, but it looked like crap and it wobbled.

In the end I thought "hell! this should just work. Why am I dicking around with it?"

So, as I said, I sent the rack kit back and put the mothers in a Eurorack case.

Moog should have allowed more tolerance in the rack kit, or made the end cheeks more accurately.