Do you know this songs name?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Gheddi

Do you know this songs name?

Post by Gheddi » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:23 pm

Hello everyone,

I recently watched the video "Hans & Clint | Masters At Work" (https://youtu.be/NdG5dEfAcxQ) from the moog youtube channel. Around the time 05:10 you can hear a song beginning that goes trough till the end of the video, being in focus from 05:38 till 05:58. I would be really glad if anybody could name it, recreate it, or tell me where to get it, because I haven't seen something such awesome in a while. Might be strange taste, but I'm all in for that space-like, idk how to say, like... NASA sound? It really sounds awesome to me. Maybe you know moog songs that have similiar sounding melodies and soundscapes? Maybe even with a filter configuration that sounds similiar or near to the wanted song?

Thanks for reading ~Gheddinadi
moog

_DemonDan_

Re: Do you know this songs name?

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:50 am

Gheddi wrote:Hello everyone,

I recently watched the video "Hans & Clint | Masters At Work" (https://youtu.be/NdG5dEfAcxQ) from the moog youtube channel. Around the time 05:10 you can hear a song beginning that goes trough till the end of the video, being in focus from 05:38 till 05:58. I would be really glad if anybody could name it, recreate it, or tell me where to get it, because I haven't seen something such awesome in a while.
Hi Gheddinadi,
I can't tell you the name of it because I never named it. :)

It was something I improvised in real time when I was visiting the Moog factory. I was standing in front of their re-release of the System 55, which I hadn't touched since my days at Northern Illinois University (back in 1980), and was deeply inspired by that behemoth.

Everything you heard in the Hans Zimmer/Clint Mansell outro music (5:01 on) came from a single pass (no overdubs) recorded directly from the MIXER OUT. I created the chords on its sequencer and used the remaining oscillators to play the lead over it.

You can see the video session at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3K_fZDvINs

You can also hear more more audio from that System 55 at:
https://soundcloud.com/moogmusicinc/set ... nd-samples
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Gheddi

Post by Gheddi » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:14 pm

Thanks man! That's really awesome. I searched so long for that tune. In the session you can find that part, it's a bit down the list but finally I have it! How does it come that Moog uses your pieces, as you work for SweetwaterSound, dont you? Also, do you know similiar songs? Your work is awesome!
moog

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:30 am

Gheddi wrote:How does it come that Moog uses your pieces, as you work for Sweetwater Sound, dont you?
(Sorry if this sounds like a recruitment commercial, but...)
I love working at Sweetwater. I not only work in a building filled with bright, creative, people... I also get to interface directly with the companies who create synthesizers (and the engineers who design them). But, above them all, there will always be a special place in my musical soul for Moog instruments. The first real synthesizer I ever played was a Moog Micromoog, back in 1976. Then a fully modular Moog system in 1980 (Northern Illinois University), and a Sonic Six in 1981.

I truly appreciate being able to interface with all the brilliant folks at Moog and, from time to time, I get to do things like write the Sub 37 Owner's Manual, create sound banks like Psychotropic Synthesis for the Model 15 app, and make video and audio demos showing off their latest releases. I can honestly say that there are very few other synthesizer brands that I can just roll camera and trust that something cool will come from tweaking knobs. It's like coming home again.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:05 am

_DemonDan_ wrote:
Gheddi wrote:How does it come that Moog uses your pieces, as you work for Sweetwater Sound, dont you?
(Sorry if this sounds like a recruitment commercial, but...)
I love working at Sweetwater. I not only work in a building filled with bright, creative, people... I also get to interface directly with the companies who create synthesizers (and the engineers who design them). But, above them all, there will always be a special place in my musical soul for Moog instruments. The first real synthesizer I ever played was a Moog Micromoog, back in 1976. Then a fully modular Moog system in 1980 (Northern Illinois University), and a Sonic Six in 1981.

I truly appreciate being able to interface with all the brilliant folks at Moog and, from time to time, I get to do things like write the Sub 37 Owner's Manual, create sound banks like Psychotropic Synthesis for the Model 15 app, and make video and audio demos showing off their latest releases. I can honestly say that there are very few other synthesizer brands that I can just roll camera and trust that something cool will come from tweaking knobs. It's like coming home again.
I do understand and share what you say, even though I'm biased, because I own Audiotecna, Moog Music's dealer for Colombia.

Let me ask you something, don't you have a similar feeling with Teenage Engineering's products, in particular the OP-1?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:45 am

bichuelo wrote:...don't you have a similar feeling with Teenage Engineering's products, in particular the OP-1?
Although I had a chance to hold one in my hand for a few moments, I've never had an opportunity to really dig deep into what it has to offer. What are your thoughts on it?

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:14 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
bichuelo wrote:...don't you have a similar feeling with Teenage Engineering's products, in particular the OP-1?
Although I had a chance to hold one in my hand for a few moments, I've never had an opportunity to really dig deep into what it has to offer. What are your thoughts on it?
One thing that I found awesome is that I am starting to recognize whenever an OP-1 is being used in a song, something I am used to only with the Moog sound nowadays. Its sound is very different from all plugins, even though it is digital.

The other big "non-feature" is that is a very limited machine. And that makes it truly inspiring, since you seem to be inspired by these limitations. The tape features and some of the sequencers are truly unique and very different from all DAWs. They are fantastic when they team up with Moog!
You can read some more comments in this regard here: https://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/dis ... uy-an-op-1
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra