Sub 37 rumors/new features wishlist

Everything Sub.
seadozer

Re: Sub 37 rumors/new features wishlist

Post by seadozer » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:26 pm

One more chiming (respectfully) in for specific tempo/tempo display :)
Sub 37/OSX 10.10.5/Logic 9/Logic X

Chimponaut

Post by Chimponaut » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:54 pm

Mackenzie_NZ wrote:I'm sure it's been mentioned but I'd like to request feedback on the screen for parameter changes in relation to what they originally were before you touched the knob.

I'm sure like most people, I have sessions creating patches and sessions making tunes, when I bring up previously made patches in a tune making session and start messing with knobs to tweak the sound, it can be frustrating trying to find where the knob originally was, certain things like the filter is not a big deal but other things really have a sweet spot and it can take you out of the flow when trying to get that back (often I'm just jumping to another preset and then back to start again).

I think the way the Virus TI synth handles this on it's screen is good, it shows the original parameter setting on the left and what you're doing on the right so you can line them back up.

I'm loving the synth though!
There is an option for this under the global menu. "Pot Mode" It gives you 3 options.

POT MODE (GLOBAL MENU 1.4)
When changing presets, the physical positions of the panel knobs will not match the values saved in a preset. POT MODE allows you to specify how a knob responds when you make changes to its position.

ABS: In absolute mode (default) the value of a parameter jumps to the knob’s current position as soon as you begin turning it.

THRU: In pass through mode turning a knob has no effect until it reaches its preset value and then takes effect.

RLTV: In relative mode turning a knob up or down slightly causes a minor change in value, while turning it further causes an increasingly greater change in value. This allows the value to “catch up” with the knob’s position and prevents any sudden jumps in sound.

NOTE: Relative and pass through modes are recommended for live performance, while absolute mode is recommended for creating new sounds.

I haven't tried this out yet myself. Still in default ABS mode. The Korg MS-2000 handles this quite nicely. There is a light that becomes illuminated when the knob or parameter hits the original preset value. Easy.
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo

Raseru

Post by Raseru » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:50 am

Beat frequency a lot higher pleaseewsesesese, an option in the menu to set it to up to a much higher (into bass range) hz

<3 you if someone did that

andow

Post by andow » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:58 pm

Chimponaut wrote:
Mackenzie_NZ wrote:I'm sure it's been mentioned but I'd like to request feedback on the screen for parameter changes in relation to what they originally were before you touched the knob.

I'm sure like most people, I have sessions creating patches and sessions making tunes, when I bring up previously made patches in a tune making session and start messing with knobs to tweak the sound, it can be frustrating trying to find where the knob originally was, certain things like the filter is not a big deal but other things really have a sweet spot and it can take you out of the flow when trying to get that back (often I'm just jumping to another preset and then back to start again).

I think the way the Virus TI synth handles this on it's screen is good, it shows the original parameter setting on the left and what you're doing on the right so you can line them back up.

I'm loving the synth though!
There is an option for this under the global menu. "Pot Mode" It gives you 3 options.

POT MODE (GLOBAL MENU 1.4)
When changing presets, the physical positions of the panel knobs will not match the values saved in a preset. POT MODE allows you to specify how a knob responds when you make changes to its position.

ABS: In absolute mode (default) the value of a parameter jumps to the knob’s current position as soon as you begin turning it.

THRU: In pass through mode turning a knob has no effect until it reaches its preset value and then takes effect.

RLTV: In relative mode turning a knob up or down slightly causes a minor change in value, while turning it further causes an increasingly greater change in value. This allows the value to “catch up” with the knob’s position and prevents any sudden jumps in sound.

NOTE: Relative and pass through modes are recommended for live performance, while absolute mode is recommended for creating new sounds.

I haven't tried this out yet myself. Still in default ABS mode. The Korg MS-2000 handles this quite nicely. There is a light that becomes illuminated when the knob or parameter hits the original preset value. Easy.
It's not about how the value from the preset changes to the current one. What the Sub37 is missing is to show the current value of a parameter and the one saved in the preset on the display.
Is there any info if this will be implemented in a future update?

Chimponaut

Post by Chimponaut » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:11 pm

It's not about how the value from the preset changes to the current one.
Yea, the second option, "Thru" is the closest thing to that. It indicates where the knob was to begin with by not changing values until you get to the original value. Have you tried it? I gave it a spin and it works pretty good here.
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

andow

Post by andow » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:18 am

Chimponaut wrote:
It's not about how the value from the preset changes to the current one.
Yea, the second option, "Thru" is the closest thing to that. It indicates where the knob was to begin with by not changing values until you get to the original value. Have you tried it? I gave it a spin and it works pretty good here.
Sorry, but this has nothing to do with the different pot modes!

Chimponaut

Post by Chimponaut » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:15 pm

it can be frustrating trying to find where the knob originally was
(Strange, option 2 does exactly that.)
Sorry, but this has nothing to do with the different pot modes!
I know, it's about finding the value that the knob was set to when the preset was saved. I guess I'm missing something here.
<> RME Raydat

youunicornsyou

Post by youunicornsyou » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:20 am

For the wishlist, I'd like to see color options or even just something besides the Bob Moog tribute edition. I wonder what the next one will look like. Any leads on when we'll see a new look?

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:27 am

Chimponaut wrote:
I know, it's about finding the value that the knob was set to when the preset was saved. I guess I'm missing something here.
Yes, you are massively missing the point. This has been requested from the start when the synth was first released. It has nothing to do with the pot mode. We want to SEE accurately what the stored value is. My Prophet 08 does this. Moog is aware that it was a function everyone wanted implemented but then decided to add a load of suff that hardly anyone asked for instead......... and spent a year doing it........ :-)

youunicornsyou

Post by youunicornsyou » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:49 am

How many Sub 37 tribute editions are likely to be produced before a new edition replaces it?

drossi

Post by drossi » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:59 am

I'd appreciate a parameter export function so we can load all settings into a table and compare presets. Shouldn't be that difficult to do in the Sub 37 Editor.

DrJustice

Continuous MIDI clock sync

Post by DrJustice » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:56 am

Two new feature requests:

When set to external MIDI clock sync, the Sub 37 will stop it's clock (arpeggiator rate) when it receives a MIDI System Real Time Stop message and start again when it receives a Start message. This means that patches with synced LFOs and/or envelopes stop working between Stop and Start messages. Sequencers such as Cubase can send MIDI clock when they're stopped, so that your other gear can still stay synced. As it is, the sequencer must be running to keep synced LFO's and envelopes going. It's understandable that the Sub 37's sequencer would stop and start, but not that the clock itself stops. This makes it inconvenient to use in a studio where the DAW is the clock master. i.e. you need the sequencer playing to edit sounds with external sync or to practice or jam in sync.

Therefore it would be good to have an new clock option in the MIDI menu 3.4. Currently we have "SEND ST/STP: OFF, ON". It could be done like this:

A new menu entry for Start/Stop reception, "RECV ST/STP: OFF, ON", would fix the current situation for when a DAW (or other device that sends Start/Stop) is the clock master.

I think the variance setting should be a per patch thing. i.e. do the same per preset override for VARIANCE as for KB PRIORITY. It could be done like this:

Changing the Global menu 1.2 to "VARIANCE: PRST, 0.0C - 40.0C", and adding a Preset menu 2.x "VARIANCE: 0.0C - 40.0C".

stewdio

Post by stewdio » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:33 pm

One thing I would love to be able to do is use the amplifier envelope generator as a mod source instead of the filter e/g which I personally find I use more in sound creation and miss when it's tied up modulating something else. A way to implement this from an operating standpoint (not saying I understand what's possible in the firmware programming - maybe this isn't possible with the architecture) would be to have a patch level setting to 'swap' the envelope generators. That way when the mod bus source is selected as 'F E/G' the top E/G would go to the mod destination and the bottom E/G would go to the filter cutoff.
instagram.com/stew_crookes
stewcrookes.com

~ all meters ~ all red ~ all the time ~

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:15 pm

stewdio wrote:One thing I would love to be able to do is use the amplifier envelope generator as a mod source instead of the filter e/g which I personally find I use more in sound creation and miss when it's tied up modulating something else. A way to implement this from an operating standpoint (not saying I understand what's possible in the firmware programming - maybe this isn't possible with the architecture) would be to have a patch level setting to 'swap' the envelope generators. That way when the mod bus source is selected as 'F E/G' the top E/G would go to the mod destination and the bottom E/G would go to the filter cutoff.
Just to be sure, you know that the amp envelope already can be selected as a modulations source in the MOD 1/2 menu when the switch is in the F.EG/PGM position (it will still control the amp as well)?

stewdio

Post by stewdio » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:13 pm

DrJustice wrote:
stewdio wrote:One thing I would love to be able to do is use the amplifier envelope generator as a mod source instead of the filter e/g which I personally find I use more in sound creation and miss when it's tied up modulating something else. A way to implement this from an operating standpoint (not saying I understand what's possible in the firmware programming - maybe this isn't possible with the architecture) would be to have a patch level setting to 'swap' the envelope generators. That way when the mod bus source is selected as 'F E/G' the top E/G would go to the mod destination and the bottom E/G would go to the filter cutoff.
Just to be sure, you know that the amp envelope already can be selected as a modulations source in the MOD 1/2 menu when the switch is in the F.EG/PGM position (it will still control the amp as well)?
thanks - I hadn't thought about doing that - it's not quite the thing I would like it to do but it's still a useful thing! Even a setting for the VCA to ignore the E/G would be cool...
instagram.com/stew_crookes
stewcrookes.com

~ all meters ~ all red ~ all the time ~