Handling multiple synth tracks in a project.. Tips?

Everything Sub.
rumblenaut

Handling multiple synth tracks in a project.. Tips?

Post by rumblenaut » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:03 am

Hello,

I'm using the Sub for all of my instruments in my project (Ableton). I'm thinking of how is the best way to manage and create a song.

Is it possible to have two tracks control the moog with separate patches? I'm thinking that actually isn't possible, and the best way to keep track of what synth tracks are related to the moog. Like, making a self-note in the track info, or midi clip that tells you which bank/preset was used.

ksujata

Re: Handling multiple synth tracks in a project.. Tips?

Post by ksujata » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:49 am

What I've been doing has been recording the midi and audio simultaneously in the DAW whenever I've been tracking something, while having the Sub37 Editor open as a standalone. Save the preset before recording (to your computer I find works best as it's faster), do your recording. Then yeah, just name the audio and midi layer something that relates to the preset. And now you have the recording you can listen back to and add layers to, while also having the midi which you can tweak and redo the original recording if you don't like something. And do this for however many layers you have.

Honestly, this isn't the fastest way of making music, but it's what I've been doing, and even though I rarely go back and actually fix something by tweaking the MIDI, it's nice that you can do that especially if you write a lot of your music using improvisation.

Hope that helps.

Chimponaut

Post by Chimponaut » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:17 pm

Document everything...Every midi take, every audio export. I use Nuendo and it has "track versions" so I can keep the same midi track active, create a new version, and use the same midi track again for the next sound/part. Track notes are helpful as well. Each track in Nuendo has a notepad for such things.

So far my work flow has been this:
Noodle, improvise and tweak until I get something I like in midi. Save the sound in hardware. Listen. Then export the midi track as audio. Create a new track version on that same midi track and start the process again for the next part.

So far I have only gone back to one song to tweak something post mix. This system works perfectly. Everything was there including my notes about the 3rd track version of the 2nd Bass parts I laid down.
Crazy, I know but it works.
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo

rumblenaut

Post by rumblenaut » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:48 am

Chimponaut wrote:Noodle, improvise and tweak until I get something I like in midi. Save the sound in hardware. Listen. Then export the midi track as audio. Create a new track version on that same midi track and start the process again for the next part.

What do you mean on this part? Are you just building the song as you go Moog MIDI to Audio?

suite803

Post by suite803 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:27 pm

In Ableton I've been using Freeze Track with the S37 Editor on it. Although you are only able to use a single instance of the Editor when the S37 is connected, once you freeze the track you are able to open the editor on another track and it works.

My workflow:

- Noodle around, find something I like
- Save patch in S37 Editor
- Record Clip/ Tweak Knobs
- Freeze Track
- Duplicate Track
- Unfreeze Track, Editor opens on the new MIDI track with the previous patch and is ready to be tweaked and saved again.
- Repeat for a new sound

Some things to note:

- Make sure there is only ever one MIDI Track instance of the Editor open at a time (all other tracks are frozen).
- Make sure to save the patch before the knobs get tweaked so your automation will play correctly.
- I've tried freezing without saving the patch, in the hopes that the Editor just remembers it. However, once the track is converted back to MIDI the S37 will stay on the last edited sound (it doesn't send the Editor data back to the synth on unfreeze). You'll need to reload it manually.
- Making changes to the MIDI involves unfreezing the track and then re-rendering ALL audio even if you make a small change.

Hope that helps. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to use the synth on multiple tracks and still have the ability to edit the MIDI data after the fact. Any suggestions are welcome.
MacPro 4,1 OSX 10.9.5
Mac Mini i7 2.6 OSX 10.9.5
Logic Pro 10.2.2
Focusrite Saffire Pro 26
Focusrite Scarlet 2i2
Sub37
Juno-106
Korg Minilogue
Mackie HR824 MkI