Sweep in use on Phaser

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Andy C

Sweep in use on Phaser

Post by Andy C » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:42 am

After reading the manual, I'm still unsure of how to use the Sweep In function on the phaser. What do I plug into the jack? My expression pedal has no effect. I know it needs to be set on 12 stage with the stereo out. Should I use another audio input, like from an a/b splitter? Is it for use from an Lfo out from a synth or other effect? What I'm curious about is if it's possible to get two different rates going for each of the 6 stages of the 12 stage using the Sweep In jack.

Croyote

Re: Sweep in use on Phaser

Post by Croyote » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:47 am

You need to plug in a CV from an LFO source . . . you could even run the LFO out of the Phaser into the Sweep in jack, but I'm not sure how much effect it would have. It would be much more interesting to plug in an LFO from another source like the MF-102, the CP-251, the Koma RH-301, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this input only takes 1/4" TS. It can create two differents rates, pulses, sweeps, etc. . .

I think this is where this pedal really shines. You can actually dial in true Mu-tron Bi-Phase tones this way, or go way beyond the capabilities of the Mu-tron Bi-Phase.

I just replace the Moog MF-103 w/ a Pittsburgh Modular 16-stage filter and while the 16 stage is much more lush, there is carrier bleed when I plug different LFOs on the different stages, but . . . this is only frustrating because the outputs of the different stages are supposed to be distinct. Still it's the next step if for some reason you want an even lusher phaser.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:11 am

Andy C wrote:After reading the manual, I'm still unsure of how to use the Sweep In function on the phaser. What do I plug into the jack? My expression pedal has no effect. I know it needs to be set on 12 stage with the stereo out. Should I use another audio input, like from an a/b splitter? Is it for use from an Lfo out from a synth or other effect? What I'm curious about is if it's possible to get two different rates going for each of the 6 stages of the 12 stage using the Sweep In jack.

I think there's some confusion, the AUX out is just the inverted filter response of the phaser. Because the two outputs are mutually 180 degrees out of phase, if you sum them to mono you more or less get your original signal back. Using an external signal on SWEEP IN doesn't spilt it into "stereo," rather the internal LFO controls 6 stages, with the other 6 controlled by SWEEP IN.

You can tell what jacks accept expression pedals by their shading. Notice the top four are highlighted in white while SWEEP IN isn't. You need an "active" +/-2.5V signal, which some expression pedals provide, or via an expander box e.g. a module or CP-251.

Andy C

Post by Andy C » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:14 am

Thanks!

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:06 pm

Thanks for the question and the answers. I tend to go through phases of playing one or another MoogerFooger for a while and then revisiting something else for a while. Revisited the Sweep In for the first time in a long time after seeing this thread and am once again knocked out by the versatility of these pedals. Sweep In does some cool sounds in 6-pole mode too if you have a CP-251.
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.