Voyager keyboards

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Niko

Re: Voyager keyboards

Post by Niko » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:50 am

I need to apologize about some words in my post reply from August 4th. I'd mentioned a "chinese" keyboard. In the content of the topic this may lead to an impression that products from china are not as good a products from other countries, e.g. from italy were the Fatar keyboard is manufactured. But this impression does not reflects the true to be precise. A good or a bad quality does not related to a country or a population. It is just related to a company or to some people, no matter were there are located.
It was not my intention to measure everything with the same yardstick. Again, sorry but I really don't want to bring any chauvinistic mood into this conversation.
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:59 am

Well, let's be honest. Chinese goods have a bad reputation because quality control is notoriously lax. In fact, didn't Moog have precisely this problem - the Chinese keyboards were initially manufactured to the right standard, but then declined?

We're talking about a country where something as basic as food production has been shockingly lax on quite a number of occasions, with dangerous substances being added, often with fatal results. At the time the Olympics took place there was a massive problem with babies dying from Chinese-made baby food, and the scandal was kept hidden until the Olympics were over.

Such things are facts, and they remain facts regardless of how they may be hidden, and regardless of whether we try to be shy of saying them. It isn't prejudiced to tell the truth.

I agree with you about not making blanket assumptions about a country and it's people. But it's also possible to go too far the other way and not take due caution where all the facts suggest we should.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

Niko

Post by Niko » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:15 am

many thanks for your frank reply about my concernes. I totally agree with you about the mentioned facts happend in China. I just would like to address a person or a company who's in charge for a certain product and its quality. I think it would be difficult to improve a bad situation without such knowledge. And in that particular case I see a difficulty to compare company Fatar ( http://www.fatar.com/home_fatar.htm ) with... hm - company "China"?
Well, it is touching philosophical issues but I'm just damned scared about falling into traps created by medias or politicians. And I did.
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Niko

Post by Niko » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:39 am

just a short report and another compliment I need to do. With my first Voyager I had a problem with the triggering around the lower C. As described at earlier posts from different senders I also had to press quite strongly onto the keys to squeeze a tone out of the Voyager. And I got the impression that this behaviour becomes worse by time. So I asked Stefan from EMC (german distributor) what I should do. He recommended to exchange the keyboard.
I therefore asked Martin fom Hieber-Lindberg, my local dealer, to help me herewith. He kindly organized the shipment towards EMC so I was not involved in all this awkward logistic things. And Stefan did the replacement immediately and shipped the Voyager back to Martin also super fast. So within a very few days I've got back my Voyager and it is now in a very good condition, same as I! And I did not payed any cent for this!
Thank you very much Stefan and Martin for your considerations and your fast and effective help and support. For me you are one of the most important factors in the product called Moog Synthesizer!

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:56 am

Same here, with the difference, that i spend about 20 Euros to send my Voyager to Stefan Hund.
http://www.psicolor.de

rumori

Post by rumori » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:36 pm

Niko wrote:just a short report and another compliment I need to do. With my first Voyager I had a problem with the triggering around the lower C. As described at earlier posts from different senders I also had to press quite strongly onto the keys to squeeze a tone out of the Voyager. And I got the impression that this behaviour becomes worse by time. So I asked Stefan from EMC (german distributor) what I should do. He recommended to exchange the keyboard.
I therefore asked Martin fom Hieber-Lindberg, my local dealer, to help me herewith. He kindly organized the shipment towards EMC so I was not involved in all this awkward logistic things. And Stefan did the replacement immediately and shipped the Voyager back to Martin also super fast. So within a very few days I've got back my Voyager and it is now in a very good condition, same as I! And I did not payed any cent for this!
Thank you very much Stefan and Martin for your considerations and your fast and effective help and support. For me you are one of the most important factors in the product called Moog Synthesizer!
How much did you pay for the replacement? Or was it covered by warranty?

rumori

Post by rumori » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:48 pm

I also have the double trigger if I release the key on the edge, but that doesn't bother me since it could be used creatively and I don't play the keyboard that way in general.

However I had one key (middle D) that was always double triggering even if I was just quickly releasing it near the center of the key. This was an issue because I do a lot of funk basslines and I was just hearing these unintentional notes in my playing.

So I took the keyboard out and and removed that key and the accompanying spring and just exchanged it with the D key and spring an octave above. I believe this is mix and match but it turned out lucky for me since now both keys are working fine. I guess it might be a slight difference in the weight of the two keys or maybe a better fit for the springs in the new location. It works great now.

I won't go into details about the disassembly, it's just 10 screws on the bottom, 2 screws on the left hand modulation panel, 2 ribbons disconnected and you have your keyboard removed.
You can kind of see how it is the last step in the factory assembly process here: https://youtu.be/oR75HPWEIok?t=2m44s

Obviously I don't recommend it if you still have warranty, but it's good to know that you can adjust it easily.