Slim Phatty Owner - Now for a Sub Phatty or Sub 37?

Everything Sub.
iluvchiclets

Slim Phatty Owner - Now for a Sub Phatty or Sub 37?

Post by iluvchiclets » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:42 pm

New to the forum, and a new Moog owner!

I have had the chance to read through many topics over the past few months, but now I am asking opinions. I had purchased a 2nd hand Slim Phatty about 2 months ago and to say that it has been a "life-changing" experience is an understatement. None of my other keyboards get any playing time anymore! I get such enjoyment out of playing the Moog that I am now looking for more and more of the Moog sound and Moog feel...

Next available in the price structure is the Sub Phatty. Love the look of the interface, not crazy about the small number of keys but I think I would dig it nonetheless.

1) Is there any advantage to owning both the Slim Phatty and the Sub Phatty? Can I use them together in anyway? Paraphonically? Or chained in some way? Use the Slim's arp to trigger the Sub Phatty?

If the two indeed do sound different (I am reading that consistently) I might consider keeping both. But then I keep coming to the conclusion that the two of them together are getting up to the cost of a Sub 37!

2) Should I just sell the Slim Phatty and go for the Sub 37?

It would seemingly give me everything I want...arps, lots of knobs (although the look of the interface is a bit scary), 37 keys, paraphonic...
Can I make that Sub37 sound like my Slim Phatty? I haven't even had a chance to try out the Sub Phatty nor the Sub 37, but I can't imagine anything sounding warmer or punchier than my Slim Phatty...

I am reading the forums over and over trying to get a picture of what they each offer. Obviously I don't want any overlapping of exact timbres or features...just not sure whether the SubP + SlimP or the Sub37 on its own would be the smart way to go.

Thanks for any opinions!

MoogProg

Re: Slim Phatty Owner - Now for a Sub Phatty or Sub 37?

Post by MoogProg » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:08 am

iluvchiclets wrote:Should I just sell the Slim Phatty and go for the Sub 37?
Don't sell the Slim! I have the Sub37 and the Slim Phatty and genuinely prefer the sound of the Slim. It is has a warmth that is very appealing to the ear. That said, with careful programming I have always been able to recreate any Slim preset on the Sub37, so it's not like they are night and day different.

iluvchiclets

Post by iluvchiclets » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:07 pm

Thanks MoogProg,

Well - isn't that something?! I did get a chance to play both the Sub37 and the Sub Phatty over the last few days. Both of them felt a little underwhelming, but likely because I was not in a proper listening enviroment (ie, music store) and also because I run my Slim through some reverb at home.

It is funny though, both of them felt a little inanimate compared to my Slim. Perhaps there is something there!?
At any rate, the store sold their Sub37 yesterday so I don't have one to compare with anymore. I think if I had to add another Moog it would be the Sub37 simply for the full features, arpeggiator, and sequencer. It's price, however, does not go unnoticed. $2000 CAD is a lot of dough.

I will spend a bit more time fooling around with the Sub Phatty now. It's a bit more affordable ($999 CAD)
I only wish there was some way to utilize it with my Slim. That would help me justify owning it!

I appreciate your reply, am still enjoying my Slim Phatty!

ozfunghi

Post by ozfunghi » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:53 pm

Personally, i wouldn't put any money towards a sub phatty. Either go for a sub37, or get a little phatty (second hand) and you can do poly. My 2cents. Ofcourse, the little phatty sound is identical to your slim phatty, so if you want something different, i'd save some money and go for the 37. Though... sound wise, the Slim/Little Phatty sound is more pleasing to me than the sub/37. But... i'm obviously biased, owning two slims, and one LP.

iluvchiclets

Post by iluvchiclets » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:56 pm

Thanks ozfunghi,

You know what? - I rented a Sub Phatty for 3 days on the weekend. I put it through it's paces so that I could determine whether I needed more "Moog" goodness.

The Good:
- Loved the interface for knob tweaking, got myself in lots of interesting situations quickly,
- The "Shift" parameters didn't faze me too much, I had the cheat sheet right beside me the whole time.
- New CAD price is $999 which seemed like good value.
- Got some excellent sounds made with the repeat Envelope filters and amps!

The not-so-good:
- Was not too crazy about the keyboard action...played the Sub37 and I think it feels the same to me?
- Something about the Slim Phatty really turns my crank in terms of timbre. Or maybe it was the Overload? I get so inspired when I turn on my Slim...
- The Sub Phatty left me feeling a bit cold in comparison. Not as warm or phat?
- Missed the arpeggiator. No matter how I tried, I could not get the Slim Phatty's arp to work on the Sub Phatty.

I think I will set my sights on a Sub37. The cosmetic beauty and full-tweakability look irresistible. I don't think I'll ever let my Slim Phatty go.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:21 pm

iluvchiclets wrote:- Something about the Slim Phatty really turns my crank in terms of timbre. Or maybe it was the Overload? I get so inspired when I turn on my Slim...
- The Sub Phatty left me feeling a bit cold in comparison. Not as warm or phat?
I have the exact same feeling. I was very excited about the Sub Phatty release a few years back... untill a friend of mine bought one and I played it. A bit disapointed soundwise. Just a bit. The Multidrive is not the Overlaod. The Overload is meaty to me.

Lania

Post by Lania » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:48 pm

:? I might have made a big mistake a few month ago...
I'm afraid to say that I sold my Little Phatty and my Slim Phatty... I thought that I didn't need them. I was a little annoyed that I had to tune them continuously. I thought that I could replace the sound with my other sample based synths.
I could not be more wrong!!!
I miss the Moog sound so much! No matter how hard I try, I cannot get the sound I need with my other gear. Now a little tuning here and there sounds like nothing...
The Sub 37 sounds like the right step in order to correct my bad move.
Maybe the Sub Phatty will be sufficient as I have no interest in using the keyboard. I always sequence my songs so I like to program my effects and tunes via MIDI.
Or should I get an other second hand Slim Phatty?

HELP!
Last edited by Lania on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lania

Moog Slim Phatty
Yamaha DX7 - Yamaha TX7 - Yamaha AN1x
Roland SH-01 Gaia
Roland XV-5050 - Roland SC-880 - Roland M-GS 64
Korg MS 10 - Kawai CN25
iMac 21,5 - Logic Pro X

ozfunghi

Post by ozfunghi » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:36 pm

Lania wrote::? I might have made a big mistake a few month ago...
I'm afraid to say that I sold my Little Phatty and my Slim Phatty... I thought that I didn't need them. I was a little annoyed that I had to tune them continuously. I thought that I could replace the sound with my other sample based synths.
I could not be more wrong!!!
I miss the Moog sound so much! No matter how hard I try, I cannot get the sound I need with my other gear. Now a little tuning here and there sounds like nothing...
The Sub 37 sounds like the right step in order to correct my bad move.
Maybe the Sub Phatty will be sufficient as I have no interest in using the keyboard. I always sequence my songs so I like to program my effects and tunes via MIDI.
Or should I get an other second had Slim Phatty?

HELP!
Considering i have read more people with the feeling that the Slim/Little Phatty sounds better than both Subs, and you don't need a keyboard, as well as doing your sequences over midi, it looks like a no-brainer to get a second hand Slim again.

Lania

Post by Lania » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:41 pm

I indeed read that a lot.
It sounds like a beter choice to get a Slim Phatty!

Thanks for the eye opener ozfunghi!
Lania

Moog Slim Phatty
Roland SH-01 Gaia
Korg MS 10 - Kawai CN25
iMac 21,5 - Logic Pro X

Lania

Post by Lania » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:14 pm

Done: I bought a second hand Slim Phatty :D
It should be delivered in a few days. Can't wait!!!

Now I'm wondering: if the Little and Slim Phatty sound so good, why are they discontinued?
I hope that some one has an answer because I almost bought a Sub Phatty and I even considered saving enough money in order to get the Sub 37.

At least, I won't have any surprises withe the Slim Phatty: I know what it can do and how to handle it!
Lania

Moog Slim Phatty
Roland SH-01 Gaia
Korg MS 10 - Kawai CN25
iMac 21,5 - Logic Pro X

ozfunghi

Post by ozfunghi » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:20 am

Lania wrote:Done: I bought a second hand Slim Phatty :D
It should be delivered in a few days. Can't wait!!!

Now I'm wondering: if the Little and Slim Phatty sound so good, why are they discontinued?
I hope that some one has an answer because I almost bought a Sub Phatty and I even considered saving enough money in order to get the Sub 37.

At least, I won't have any surprises withe the Slim Phatty: I know what it can do and how to handle it!
I don't think Moog developed the Subs in order to sound inferior to the LP/SP. It's just their new product and they want to sell as many of those as possible, based on the new features of these devices. I also have to say i've been tempted to go for a Sub37, because it has a number of sweet enhancements over the Little Phatty (like the sequencer). But on the other hand, like you, i do my sequences over midi and the added features were not worth the price for me, compared to the price (and extra features) of buying additional Slim Phatties second hand. Who needs paraphonic, if you can go 4 way polyphonic for the same price? (Considering i already owned a Little Phatty). I think the sound of the Subs doesn't differ that much from those of the original Phatties, maybe it's even mainly in people's heads or a form of cognitive dissonance. Whatever the case, for your situation, it made economical sense to just go for another Slim.

You could also ask why they ever stopped producing the original Mini (D).

Lania

Post by Lania » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:46 am

Nice! A special place for the Subs!
I guess this is my last post over here as I have decided to get the Slim Phatty and not the Sub Phatty. The Sub Phatty has no Bulk Dump function: I do need that!

My Slim Phatty has arrived today and I'm really happy: it's as if an old good friend came back!

Off to the Phatty forum now! :wink:
Lania

Moog Slim Phatty
Roland SH-01 Gaia
Korg MS 10 - Kawai CN25
iMac 21,5 - Logic Pro X