Little Phatty production changes

Everything Phatty.
nathanscribe

Little Phatty production changes

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:07 pm

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what the changes have been to the Little Phatty over time.

I have a Stage I, s/n 382, and it has the front panel graphics painted onto the metal, though I've read later units have a printed sticker (eg in this thread). Any idea when this change took place?

Also I believe the Stage II uses a different keybed, but is this change made with the model switchover? I also understand that early LPs can't take the CV/Gate output mod - which suggests a change to the PCB. Then there's something I read somwhere (I forget where) about an improved control-scanning A/D that reduces noise.

Any thoughts?

ozfunghi

Re: Little Phatty production changes

Post by ozfunghi » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:16 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Just out of curiosity, I wonder what the changes have been to the Little Phatty over time.

I have a Stage I, s/n 382, and it has the front panel graphics painted onto the metal, though I've read later units have a printed sticker (eg in this thread). Any idea when this change took place?

Also I believe the Stage II uses a different keybed, but is this change made with the model switchover? I also understand that early LPs can't take the CV/Gate output mod - which suggests a change to the PCB. Then there's something I read somwhere (I forget where) about an improved control-scanning A/D that reduces noise.

Any thoughts?
The early ones can take the CV/gate out mod, but they need to be soldered. I have an early Stage II, which was not "ready to go" with the mod, and it needed to be soldered. Love the black side panels that come with the mod though!

nathanscribe

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:15 am

ozfunghi wrote:The early ones can take the CV/gate out mod, but they need to be soldered. I have an early Stage II, which was not "ready to go" with the mod, and it needed to be soldered.
Ah, did not know that – I thought all Stage II models were plug-in-and-go for that.

captainkidd

Post by captainkidd » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:36 am

ozfunghi wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:Just out of curiosity, I wonder what the changes have been to the Little Phatty over time.

Any thoughts?
The early ones can take the CV/gate out mod, but they need to be soldered. I have an early Stage II, which was not "ready to go" with the mod, and it needed to be soldered. Love the black side panels that come with the mod though!
I just acquired a LP Stage II a few weeks back. It's S/N is above 8100 so according the Moogs website that there should be both a factory upgrade or the field upgrade. As opposed to the field upgrade that needs to be soldered in. But on the pulldown menu it only shows a factory upgrade. I would rather do the field upgrade myself. I sent a message into Moog over a week ago inquiring about the Field Kit to see if it is still available but I haven't heard back yet. :?

isomoog

Post by isomoog » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:32 pm

here's an interesting tidbit about the little phatty CV GATE mod. the first one was commissioned by my friend Karl Kling for his tribute edition, to drive my custom model D. my D is in a 5U case, with no original chassis parts. its the only one i've ever seen built like this. the CV / Gate is on a breadboard, with no S-trig. interestingly, S-trig is not implemented on the new model D either. my D never tracked quite right with the mod, but neither did the kenton pro-solo. i use a studio electronics ATC-1 that has a digital CV table for MIDI > CV conversion and it works perfectly. the D has only needed calibration only twice in ten years (its a late OSC revision). i'm very grateful to Moog for the CV output mod, and i'm always glad to see the different ways people are using it. i own a slim phatty poly chain purchased from noise bug in pomona. as soon as i acquire my stage II i'm sure i'll be using the CV outputs a lot with the slims.

brent r
isopod.us