Speakers for Model D

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
black_label

Speakers for Model D

Post by black_label » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:56 pm

I'm looking to build a speaker cabinet to use with my Model D. I don't want to invest in a powered PA - I'd like to use one of my guitar heads and build a cabinet that won't blow out / will respond to all of the Minimoog's low frequencies but still sound great on the high end.

Can anyone recommend a good 12" or 15" (preferably 12) speaker that I can throw in one of my cabinets?
-------
Model D, Sub37, Minitaur & some Moogerfoogers

sub guy

Re: Speakers for Model D

Post by sub guy » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:09 am

I cant. I ended up using Electro Voice PA speakers and they are a dream. Good luck man. Just got my model d yesterday WOW....

black_label

Post by black_label » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:54 pm

sub guy wrote:I cant. I ended up using Electro Voice PA speakers and they are a dream. Good luck man. Just got my model d yesterday WOW....
Congrats! I'm excited for you just hearing about it!
-------

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:52 pm

You wont be disappointed in the sound at all. It is massive.

NickGrooves

Post by NickGrooves » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:55 pm

I use a Behringer 450W bass head into an Ampeg cabinet. Don't remember the speaker size but probably 18" or 20"

I treat it like any other keyboard. If you don't have a keyboard amp/speaker, next best thing is a bass amp/speaker.

Never tried running any keys through a guitar head so, not sure how that will work. Maybe totally fine. Let us know! Cheers
Voyager select
Mother-32
Hammond XK-3c
Emu Proteus 2000
ProTools

black_label

Post by black_label » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:31 am

Are bass speakers my only bet? Is there anything better? What do they put in the PA speakers?
-------

NickGrooves

Post by NickGrooves » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:03 am

You asked about a good 12" or 15" speaker, and all I'm trying to say is that you need a bigger speaker to achieve your stated goals.

I am not an expert in speaker cabinets or amps, but here's what I know:

- larger speakers reproduce better bass than smaller speakers (which is why you should avoid mixing with headphones)

- standard PA speakers do not reproduce the 20Hz to 100Hz spectrum exceedingly well, hence the need for subwoofers in many systems; the cheaper ones will probably have a mid-range cone and a tweeter (high notes) but if you are doing a ton of super low bass or you need that full frequency reproduction, a large keyboard amp or bass amp may do a better job for the same money

- many guitar cabinet speakers are not capable of handling organ and synth, and will either distort or blow up

The consensus on GearSlutz from 2010 seems to be PA route is best ...
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much ... vs-pa.html
Voyager select
Mother-32
Hammond XK-3c
Emu Proteus 2000
ProTools