New Model D ?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
torinkrell

Re: New Model D ?

Post by torinkrell » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:59 pm

Judging by the 3 Minimoog Model Ds that I've had over the years (1973, 1975, 1978) many if not most Minimoogs only needed tuning once for a session, if they are allowed to fully warm up first, and if the room temperature is reasonable without variation. The early R. A. Moog Minimoogs (as lovely as they are) if unmodded, however usually need more attention. Under hot stage lighting during a live performance tuning may obviously be more challenging. Perhaps MC can comment on this further as well as anyone already using the new Minimoog Model D.
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:19 am

My model d original doesn't need more tuning during play then any guitar b.e.
He is serial 2000-3000
Tuning and tracking , as well as keyboard and reliabilty luckily never have been a big problem whatsoever

MC

Post by MC » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:18 am

I have played three early RA Moog model Ds. Mine was the only one with tuning issues, which I have since corrected.

The original ones were made from 1970 to 1981, so the newest Minimoog would be 35 years old. Some are well cared for and stay in tune just fine, others are neglected and need some TLC to be stable. I wouldn't worry about tuning with the new ones.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:00 pm

Sounds great I was thinking even if you had to tune it every time you played that would be no harder than many other instruments that need tuning.

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:32 pm

Hey there @luckynerd. Hope you are doing well!
I think Kevin would have been tickled pink by the new/old D. I sold my last Model D in 83, but I have a new one on order to go along with it's (way) older bigger sister. They were supposed to ship last week, but the factory has delayed the shipments to the 3rd week of July. Can't wait to get my hands on mine!
Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 12Pro, Ableton Live 10/64, RME UFX+, 2xMR816, MioXL, Expressionist, Cirklon, Analog Rytm Mk II, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

luckynerd

Post by luckynerd » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:18 pm

AlakaLazlo wrote:Hey there @luckynerd. Hope you are doing well!
I think Kevin would have been tickled pink by the new/old D. I sold my last Model D in 83, but I have a new one on order to go along with it's (way) older bigger sister. They were supposed to ship last week, but the factory has delayed the shipments to the 3rd week of July. Can't wait to get my hands on mine!
I'm doing well, thanks! :)

He would have loved the new Mini. Aftertouch on a Mini was a dream he'd mention every few years. I'm sure he probably added an extra LFO to at least one Minimoog. I know he added extra modulation to one of Mark Mothersbaugh's a decade or so ago. :)

If I get my hands on a Mini, I already intend to record me checking it out for the first time. :)
Learn To Fix

Moog T1 Pedal Contact Board Upgrade: http://www.minimoog.net/daphne/moog-tau ... act-board/

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:19 pm

I'll let you know when mine comes in. You are welcome to come by and play it.
Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 12Pro, Ableton Live 10/64, RME UFX+, 2xMR816, MioXL, Expressionist, Cirklon, Analog Rytm Mk II, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

Meddler

Post by Meddler » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:00 pm

I'm curious about that cv input labeled Mod Src. I would want to route the after pressure to mod amount, but Mod Src I guess would be the Modulation Mix. Might work if set to mix between a flat filter EG and LFO. A middle off/LFO position on the Noise/LFO switch would be the easy fix.

Or, is it an actual modulation source input? Piece of cake, then: external LFO modulated by pressure cv into Mod.Src.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:52 pm

what do you think this will do to the price of vintage minis? The new ms-10 and odysseys didn't do much, but they were not really accurate re-issues. The sound seems to be there and more functionality, and i am sure cheaper, so it would seems like the vintage ones will either stagnate or go down, depending on the numbers produced.

sbell.sd

Post by sbell.sd » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:48 pm

spiders

Post by spiders » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:37 pm

I was in Asheville this week and had to drop by the Moog factory to get some work done to my sub 37. It was really cool, they actually let me install the new board myself, which was awesome. Really nice people in there. Oh, and I found a bug in the sub 37 firmware, so that's kinda neat too.

Of course I went and checked out the mini production line. It appears that most of the ones sold at Moogfest are still there, why I don't know. There are a bunch of others in various states of assembly on the racks. Low serial numbers, like 36, 37 low. Also neat.

A cool person let me check out the circuit boards. The power supply one looks identical to the old one, as does the cv/contour board. The cv stuff is of course done via midi on the new mini, but the pads are there to build in the original circuit if you are feeling it. (that circuit turned out to be the biggest problem with mine, btw) The oscillator has one surface mount component, but it is mounted in such a way that if you track down an original through hole component you can replace it with that. Also cool. The filter board looks way different, but I think it is still all the same stuff.

There wasn't one I could listen to, but I was able to put my hands on a unit to gather some tactile info. The keyboard feels great. It's a fatar keybed, probably the same one from the voyager. Quite similar to the pratt keyboard on my mini. The pots feel nice and official. The switches don't feel as solid as on the old ones, but they look right. The knobby wheels feel a little rough, they did not totally nail those, in my opinion. It may just be that the only knobby wheels I've been around have been used so much they have been smoothed out a bit.

The cases look amazing. All in all, I was very impressed. I think it is going to live up to the hype.
Attachments
IMG_4118.JPG

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback, and the picture spiders !

Speaking of feedback, I wonder if this new re-edition can sound exactly like this ? (my Minimoog D 1975 with 2 sawtooth oscillators, and the "Low Main Output" fed back into the "Input Ext. Signal" jack, with the "External Input Volume" knob at 3)
If the circuits are cloned, there's no reason why it wouldn't ?

(lead synth in this demo)
https://soundcloud.com/thealien666/massive
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:13 am

Hope this link works, it goes to gearslutz where there is a twenty minute demo of a new model d.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... st12019890

luckynerd

Post by luckynerd » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:50 pm

sub guy wrote:Hope this link works, it goes to gearslutz where there is a twenty minute demo of a new model d.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... st12019890
If I close my eyes, it almost feels like I'm transported back in time, listening to Kevin put a freshly restored Mini through its paces. Yet this one was just made, which still blows me away.
Learn To Fix

Moog T1 Pedal Contact Board Upgrade: http://www.minimoog.net/daphne/moog-tau ... act-board/

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:23 pm

Damm Daniel, back at it again with the Model D, Sonic-ally STUNNING!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EthWhoIK43c

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MinimoogD
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII