Sub 37 vs Model D

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
franklinstower

Sub 37 vs Model D

Post by franklinstower » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:22 am

I've got a specific question about the sound of the sub 37 vs a Model D. I have a sub 37 already and have dialed in a very smooth beautiful bass sound that I use as the primary sound in my band which as some of you know is a folk and improvisational jam band. I am thinking about getting a Model D to become my main instrument and then use the sub 37 for other sounds in the band.

I would like to hear from anyone that has a model D and can compare the sounds of the two and tell me what you think. Can the model D get a smooth buttery bass? or are the oscillators too rough for that? What about consistent front end pluck with the model D? The sub 37 has a reset function that starts both oscillators at the same time every time you depress a key and it really helps for pluck in the bass sound. Can the model D do that?

Any other observations would be greatly appreciated from any of you.

noddyspuncture

Re: Sub 37 vs Model D

Post by noddyspuncture » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:28 am

franklinstower wrote: I am thinking about getting a Model D to become my main instrument and then use the sub 37 for other sounds in the band.
New or 'old' Model D...?

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:19 pm

New and for now I am going under the assumption that the basic sound is going to be the same or very close.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:32 pm

franklinstower wrote:New and for now I am going under the assumption that the basic sound is going to be the same or very close.
It should be, since it's a replica of the original.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:48 pm

thealien666 wrote:It should be, since it's a replica of the original.
Apart from the keyboard.... which apparently has to be "simulated"...!?

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:53 pm

The Voyager keyboard used in the new Minimoog generates pitch CV as soon as possible to send to Board #4 in the Mini. So it it very close to what the original Pratt-Read did, but of course it doesn't have the same buttery feel to it. But that's another story and doesn't affect the sound.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:17 pm

To answer the original post, I think the Minitaur, Sub Phatty and Sub 37 are the only Moog that can reset their oscillators at each key press.
What about the Taurus 3, guys?...

zaiusz

Post by zaiusz » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:55 pm

Can you post a sound clip reference of the type of sound you are looking for?

Your "buttery" may be another man's "creamy" :wink:

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:38 pm

Beautiful Model D video...This should answer your question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JN2dOM47F4
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:06 pm

Unless you have money to burn, stick with the Sub-37 which delivers a hell of a punch for the price. The new D is for retro-gear fetishists I think.

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:42 pm

zaiusz wrote:Can you post a sound clip reference of the type of sound you are looking for?

Your "buttery" may be another man's "creamy" :wink:

Cant do that just not set up for it right now.

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:44 pm

EricK wrote:Beautiful Model D video...This should answer your question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JN2dOM47F4

I'm not gonna lie man that sounds just incredible to me. I can't believe I went so long in my life (I'm old as hell) without knowing what a synth even was.....

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:52 pm

Stevie Ray wrote:Unless you have money to burn, stick with the Sub-37 which delivers a hell of a punch for the price. The new D is for retro-gear fetishists I think.

I don't know man. I like that there are no digital parts to this thing (outside the keyboard). The other synth that is attractive to me is the Voyager old school. Something about the simplicity in addition to the reputed sound quality is just so alluring to me.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:06 am

franklinstower wrote:
Stevie Ray wrote:Unless you have money to burn, stick with the Sub-37 which delivers a hell of a punch for the price. The new D is for retro-gear fetishists I think.

I don't know man. I like that there are no digital parts to this thing (outside the keyboard). The other synth that is attractive to me is the Voyager old school. Something about the simplicity in addition to the reputed sound quality is just so alluring to me.
I’m not old as hell but I totally get that.

Sometimes I wish I don’t give a shmutz about how sound is produced, but I actually care. Maybe that’s because I studied physics.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:17 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:
franklinstower wrote:

I’m not old as hell but I totally get that.

Sometimes I wish I don’t give a shmutz about how sound is produced, but I actually care. Maybe that’s because I studied physics.
One thing amazing about sound is that it requires the atmosphere to exist. There is no sound in outer space, is there?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra