Sub 37 Total freezedown

Everything Sub.
JoostSchols

Sub 37 Total freezedown

Post by JoostSchols » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi,

Recently, i took over a moog sub 37 from 2014. I tested it and worked great. i was very satisfied about the sound and the features. A few hours later I decided to install the software(editor and firmware). This went succesfully. while trying to get the sequencer in sync with my ableton8 and doing some features with the sequencer my sub37 the moog suddenly went to a total freezedown. All the led light at the nobs turned on and I couldn't get any sound of it anymore. I tought this was maybe a little bug. But sadly, after turned it off and on a few times i realised this could be a bigger issue. I am a little dissapointed. because I only have this moog for a day and I already can't play it anymore. Is there anyone else who experienced this, and how do i fix it?

Blackout

Re: Sub 37 Total freezedown

Post by Blackout » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:56 am

there is a growing suspicion that the latest firmware is bricking many Sub37's. It seems to be only the early "V1" Sub37's that are being Bricked...ie the ones before the Filter Pot upgrade. I know of several stores that say the Sub37's have been rolling in the door with this exact same problem over the past weeks and its picking up momentum.

A BIG problem going on here. solution is to get another Sub37 swapped over from your dealer at the moment....

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:34 am

:cry: Crickey, that's scary! I haven't upgraded to the latest FW yet but the previous updates have gone fine I have an earlier 37 here and now you got me worried.

JoostSchols

Post by JoostSchols » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:04 pm

Oke thanks for the replies. Now i know what I am up to. Thank god my SUB 37 is still under garantie.

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:05 pm

From the update instructions that come with the 1.2.0 firmware package:
COMMON PROBLEMS
THE DISPLAY IS BLANK AND/OR ALL OF THE LEDS ARE LIT.

The firmware on your Sub 37 has not been updated correctly. Repeat the update procedure. Note that nothing will appear on the display until the panel firmware update is complete.
Seems worth a try, perhaps using the manual update technique (i.e. sending the sysex files via a MIDI utility) instead of the updater app.

My pre-filter-pot-upgrade Sub37 updated OK and continues to work fine.

--
Moose

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:54 pm

I was doing a downgrade to 1.1 from 1.2 for testing purposes. After using the auto-updater for 1.1 my Sub 37 appeared to be "Bricked". No display. All LEDs on.

I re-ran the 1.2 update application (Mac) and it seemed to correct the problem.

I then ran the 1.1 firmware install manually as suggested by Gil. This time the old firmware installed correctly.

I tested a few things then ran the upgrade application to install the 1.2 firmware.

All's good again in Sub 37 land!

My Sub's serial # is 01506 manufactured 10/14.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

JoostSchols

Post by JoostSchols » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:08 pm

okay i fixed that problem but after an half hour. the systems failed again in an other way. after a while the moog suddenly don't reveice midi anymore from ableton. if i put im out en on again. he doesn't send any midi anymore after i put it off and on again. all the pan knobs start going rapidly from left to right and ableton seems to get totally fucked up. In my opinion this system could been made better :? also the sequencer behaves totally otherwise then before I switched it off. This is very confusing stuff

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:25 pm

JoostSchols wrote:okay i fixed that problem but after an half hour. the systems failed again in an other way. after a while the moog suddenly don't reveice midi anymore from ableton. if i put im out en on again. he doesn't send any midi anymore after i put it off and on again. all the pan knobs start going rapidly from left to right and ableton seems to get totally fucked up. In my opinion this system could been made better :? also the sequencer behaves totally otherwise then before I switched it off. This is very confusing stuff
hmmm, not 100% but this sounds like a midi loop of some sort. Have a look in the sub's midi menus and disable midi receive for all but what you need USB/DIN ect..., check the channels it is set to send/receive on and make sure it is only the ones you need. Check that Ableton is only sending/receiving the midi you want too.