Impact of new model D on pricing of vintage Minimoog D

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
thealien666

Re: Impact of new model D on pricing of vintage Minimoog D

Post by thealien666 » Sat May 21, 2016 11:36 pm

Since replacing the problematic Pratt-Reed buss bars and coil springs contacts with an optical system, there hasn't been anything going wrong with my 41 year old Minimoog D.
Anyway, from what I can gather, this re-edition is mostly a clone with the same components as in the original. Only the keyboard has been changed, and a few welcome features added.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

spiders

Post by spiders » Mon May 23, 2016 1:57 pm

F
Stevie Ray wrote:Frankly, if the new D sounds anywhere near as good as the original, I'd get the new one. Vintage Model Ds are just hell to maintain.
As far as maintaining a D is concerned, after much needed service mine has given me nothing but good times. Also, working on it was an absolute pleasure in comparison to many other electronic items I have repaired. The service manual is comprehensive and the circuit boards are sturdy and resilient. The different sections of the synth are also split up in the circuit boards in a way that makes a lot of sense to me. That is just my experience though, and I have only dealt with this one. It was a mess when I got it, though. I also haven't had it that long.

It took me forever to get a minimoog, as I could never afford one. Eventually fate handed me an exploded one from a guys basement. Now, less than two months after I achieve my goal, there is a new one. I don't really know how to feel, honestly. I want the new one, I want the aftertouch, I totally want the separate LFO so you can have those huge 3 osc sounds with mod. I want to be comfy in the knowledge that everything is new inside the box. I want, I want, I want. Coveting will get you nowhere, though.
The price, whatever it will be, will be worth it I'm sure. I hope it doesn't hit the potential resale price of mine too hard, but I really wasn't planning on selling it, so it is sort of a moot point.

cheopsnet

Post by cheopsnet » Mon May 23, 2016 2:07 pm

Nice feedback guys

I'd say that price should not be impacted: The vintage piece will still remain way more inspiring than a new piece of gear. As applied to guitars, we have seen Fender/Gibson reissues filling a gap in the market but people, including myself, still thrive to collect older instruments.

Louis

MC

Post by MC » Mon May 23, 2016 5:27 pm

A quick peek on the 'bay shows a LOT of vintage model D auctions. Never seen this many at one time.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Tue May 24, 2016 3:34 am

MC wrote:A quick peek on the 'bay shows a LOT of vintage model D auctions. Never seen this many at one time.
Probably haven't looked for some time ?
This has been going on for more then a year at least, every 1/2 year or so +1000euro
Think due to economic crises low interest rates on savings , spreading the word , globalisstion of the syntmarket etc
Maybe even inspired moog to reissue ??

MC

Post by MC » Tue May 24, 2016 9:19 am

sunny pedaal wrote:
MC wrote:A quick peek on the 'bay shows a LOT of vintage model D auctions. Never seen this many at one time.
Probably haven't looked for some time ?
I've been peeking at least once a week for the last 15 years
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

sbell.sd

Post by sbell.sd » Wed May 25, 2016 10:47 pm

Here is one currently on ebay up for bid with no reserve
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152102105421?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
We'll see how it does...the bidders may or may not know there is a Moog minimoog reissue coming.

The impact of the new model D on pricing of the vintage minimoog D...as everything it is demand vs. supply.
The more reissues made the more impact on the vintage.

As for me I have serial number 10542 which I bought in '79
--- Needs keyboard work (has needed maintenance in the past)
- Missing the top wood piece
++ Modified to have a separate input CV to each oscillator (these still work well)).
+ Tuning is excellent in my opinion.
- Power supply board failed last year, I replaced capacitors and diodes.
- Dreading other capacitors to fail.
I will not sell or trade it in to obtain a reissue.

The reissue
+ sounded excellent (familiar) on a couple of videos I've seen.
++ keyboard surely must be an improvement at least maintenance wise.
+++ additions are a +plus+
+ expect tuning will be good n stable
+ if i didn't have my vintage I would get the reissue (I may get one anyway)
-- really have become enamored with my vintage's a separate CV input to each oscillator (Moog please offer a custom mod.
- not thrilled of the oscillator board choice (since it differs from mine (with the extra high frequency adjustables)

For those of you who have craved a mini your chance is here...preorder or wait to demo one in person
Another question will the reissues hold their value into the future?

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu May 26, 2016 5:38 pm

This ones comes with outdoor stand, nice touch, stand also doubles as an extra on Game of Thrones

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-Minimoog-M ... 4087&rt=nc
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Tue May 31, 2016 7:14 pm

A brand new, factory perfect, Model D with aftertouch and CV outs for $3500 is gonna make it nearly impossible for these (mostly) rat dealers on ebay to ask $5000+ for a vintage model. The price of vintage Mini's are going to come down for as long as new Model D's are in production.

Vintage synths in general are insanely overvalued. Given a reasonable alternative, the vast majority of players don't care if their synth is vintage, and usually prefer a new 100% functional instrument. The fact that you can get a newly manufactured miniaturized MS20 for $400 has cut the value of vintage MS20s in half. Before the miniMS20 came out, vintage models were routinely selling for $2000+. Now that there's a reasonable alternative, I see vintage MS20s sitting on ebay unsold for months at $1000.

I own a beautiful Model D that I was lucky enough to find before they started selling for ridiculous $$$. Of course I want it to be valuable, but it drives me crazy when I see these handful of dealers on ebay buying up all the vintage synths and then just arbitrarily doubling their prices every 6 months.

millahjovich

Post by millahjovich » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:00 am

I never understood why Moog abandon this in the first place. It was an affordable "MODULAR BOARD" player. A perfect "SOUND" niche in the music market . IMO it should have remained the flagship.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:10 pm

eric coleridge wrote:A brand new, factory perfect, Model D with aftertouch and CV outs for $3500 is gonna make it nearly impossible for these (mostly) rat dealers on ebay to ask $5000+ for a vintage model.
And it's not just Aftertouch (or After Pressure as the Minimoog calls it); the Velocity CV Out also works beautifully. The AFTER PRESSURE and VELOCITY INT. CONTROL OUTPUTS each have a small trim pot shaft that lets you quickly set the desired output depth of those controllers to make them work perfectly with whichever EXT. CONTROL INPUTS you send the CVs to (LOUDNESS, FILTER, OSCILLATOR, MOD.SRC.) and for whatever values the destination knobs are set at.

Being able to choose between LAST NOTE, LOW-NOTE, and HIGH-NOTE PRIORITY, as well as MULTI-TRIGGER ON and MULTI-TRIGGER OFF (LEGATO), really helps to make it feel more like a modern performance synth.

The ability to engage a KEYBOARD TUNING ERROR mode helps to simulate the variations in the original keyboard's fixed resistor network.

I've been playing one of these for several months now, and I still get the same rush every time I put my hands on it.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:21 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote: The ability to engage a KEYBOARD TUNING ERROR mode helps to simulate the variations in the original keyboard's fixed resistor network.
I am really surprised at this... 'simulation'..?

I thought this new Model 'D' was touted as being an exact copy of the original... in which case those inherent 'variations' should come as standard...? If it's having to 'simulate' the old quirks of the Model 'D' then it's not the same, surely...?

I mean, the Model 15 for the iPad & iPhone is also a 'simulation' - is it not...?
I find that 'simulations' usually fall short of the real deal.. :?

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:42 pm

millahjovich wrote:I never understood why Moog abandon this in the first place. It was an affordable "MODULAR BOARD" player. A perfect "SOUND" niche in the music market . IMO it should have remained the flagship.
I couldn't have said it better myself, hey wait a minute ... :-)
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:25 pm

noddyspuncture wrote:I am really surprised at this... 'simulation'..? I thought this new Model 'D' was touted as being an exact copy of the original... in which case those inherent 'variations' should come as standard...? If it's having to 'simulate' the old quirks of the Model 'D' then it's not the same, surely...?
Hi noddyspuncture,

No need to be surprised. It has been stated in the specs and videos, as well as this forum, that the keybed is modern (hence MIDI, Velocity, Aftertouch). For those who miss the inherent inconsistencies of the original keybed, a reasonable simulation has been made available.
noddyspuncture wrote:I find that 'simulations' usually fall short of the real deal.. :?
Fortunately, the release of the new Model D will not make it any harder to buy an original Model D (if that's what you must have), and will most likely make it easier and cheaper to do so. So it's all good :D
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _