New Model D ?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

Re: New Model D ?

Post by EricK » Wed May 18, 2016 6:12 pm

There's a pot on that mod wheel LHC.

Enter the Voyager vs Model D flame war.

Edit: There are 2 switches on the Controllers panel.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Wed May 18, 2016 6:17 pm

That same Matrixsynth.com post mentioned a possible price of $3495 in the comments section.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Wed May 18, 2016 6:21 pm

$3495!!! Well unless it has time-travel capability, I'll pass :shock:

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed May 18, 2016 6:36 pm

$3,495 is actually a very good price but that might just be speculation from somebody that doesn't know.

If these are hand populated boards and hard to find transistor arrays, etc. I doubt they will be making them for that low price. Minimoogs (Vintage) will cost around $4K these days and mine, for one, will have more Mojo than something brand new... see the comparisons have begun : )

Based on the exploded table picture, there looks to be a 3-up DIN board which would suggest Midi, some CV in/outs, no cinch jones, no 6 pin Moog accessory power jack, no .206" foot pedal jacks for the LHC, and a non busbar Pratt kbd. Probably feels nice enough but still, it's not the same.

Looks like added features and they retained the crappy black fiberboard bottom : ) but to my original point, $3,495 is a great price even if many of us are quite happy with our vintage.

Dave smith can charge $3K for a Pro 10 and that's a rip off. $3,500 for this, I call that a bargain. If they sold at $4,999 the same crowd that stepped up for the modulars (and then some) would get in line and pony up cash not to mention any extinguished dinosaur keyboard player in a band anywhere worth their salt.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Wed May 18, 2016 6:40 pm

Pro 10? Do you mean Pro 2 or a Prophet 12? The DS Pro 2 has infinitely more possibilities for a working musician than a warmed-over Model D. It also sells for a lot less than you suggest. A rip-off, seriously?

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Wed May 18, 2016 7:12 pm

Nope. Not at that price. And an 'external power brick' WTF? :cry:

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed May 18, 2016 7:13 pm

Right, I meant Pro 12. Prophet 10 is a different conversation all together; may as well add a GX to the conversation if talking about unobtainable.

The 12 is more capable and a different beast all together, agreed. But considering the made in China feel and what was inside, the Pro-12 seemed expensive to me. My comparison is simply to say $3.5k is a bargain for a new Mini and I'd be surprised if it came in that low.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Wed May 18, 2016 7:24 pm

EMwhite wrote:Right, I meant Pro 12. Prophet 10 is a different conversation all together; may as well add a GX to the conversation if talking about unobtainable.

The 12 is more capable and a different beast all together, agreed. But considering the made in China feel and what was inside, the Pro-12 seemed expensive to me. My comparison is simply to say $3.5k is a bargain for a new Mini and I'd be surprised if it came in that low.
The Prophet 12 is a 12-voice polyphonic instrument with 4 oscillators per voice, not a analogue mono synth. I've played one and it doesn't scream 'made in China' to me. It's a top quality professional instrument. We're comparing apples and oranges here.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Wed May 18, 2016 7:37 pm

Stevie Ray wrote:Nope. Not at that price. And an 'external power brick' WTF? :cry:

Well Sir , I think you just saved yourself some money.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Wed May 18, 2016 7:40 pm

Sure did. Let's see what the actual street price is in 12 months time. The power brick (if true) is a bummer on this class of instrument though. The Sub-37 has an internal PSU, why not this new Model D?

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed May 18, 2016 8:44 pm

Stevie Ray wrote:The Sub-37 has an internal PSU, why not this new Model D?
Pot boards, many ribbons, and added jacks and midi takes space. The Vintage has a fair sized transformer, 3x fuses, two six position power accessory jacks, etc. it all occupies real estate and if crammed will create a potential heat situation... Oh, and a brick is less expensive and forgoes what I bet is a requirement for added UL test/cert.

The LP platform is tried and true with single or bridged board design mounted against the pot panel = plenty of real estate.

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu May 19, 2016 12:55 am

Looks like we need a new Forum ... :-)
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

luckynerd

Post by luckynerd » Thu May 19, 2016 11:26 am

Stevie Ray wrote:There's a huge amount of myth and legacy surrounding the Model D and a lot of it quite unjustified in my opinion.
Well, we will have to agree to disagree. :)

19 years ago, I saw my very first of MANY Minimoog restorations. It was one of my late husband Kevin's specialties, so I got to see Minis from the RA era to ones made in the 80's. Over time, I went from just taking off the plastic keys and cleaning them to restoring the top of the keybed and recapping the circuit boards. A well-restored Mini is an instrument of beauty. I always liked playing with them, but as I'm not a keyboard player, I got bored easily. It was always a delight to hear Kevin play one post-restoration, as he was a keyboard player. :)

The 21st Century D looks like it has a power supply board, as there's a board with heatsinks on it. It also looks like they used .1% resistors on the oscillator board in presumably vital areas. (aka the resistors that are arrays on the later oscillator boards) The sound so far seems right on target. They did their homework on this one!

I know a lot of you are probably wondering, "What would Kevin think of this?" That's a hard question to answer. If he was still alive, I'm sure he'd have been a part of this project. So we'd all know his opinion in various videos he'd probably want to do, like a side-by side comparison of the circuit boards. ;)

The 21st Century D makes me miss Kevin and helps me remember that life goes on. The OG Mini D's will always hold a special place in my heart, as they were a huge part of my life with Kevin. That said: I wonder how one of these new ones would work with my Mother32? :lol:
Learn To Fix

Moog T1 Pedal Contact Board Upgrade: http://www.minimoog.net/daphne/moog-tau ... act-board/

Mike37

Post by Mike37 » Thu May 19, 2016 11:48 am

Stevie Ray wrote: I've owned and restored four model Ds of various vintages and yes, they sound very good, but not outstanding to my ears. The VOS is more advanced and can sound just as good or better (subjectively). There's a huge amount of myth and legacy surrounding the Model D and a lot of it quite unjustified in my opinion.

I don't have any Model Ds any more but I still have a VOS.
Well, taste is subjective. I don't agree with Voyager having a superior basic tone to the Model D. IMO powerful sound with lots of freq content, and natural drifting/motion is preferable. Voyager simply can't compete with the Model D in these aspects. Which is also reflected in the price, as the Model D has a more expensive design/signal path for a fuller and bigger sound. Of course Voyager has more features, but I've come to the realisation, if I have to choose between a more simple instrument with truly inspiring and GREAT sound, and a very complex instrument with "almost great" sound - I'll choose the first one.