Mother 32 SQ1&Reason sync issue

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
thomaslilja

Mother 32 SQ1&Reason sync issue

Post by thomaslilja » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:01 am

Hi!
I've got some problems syncing my Mother 32 to my midi chain. I'm using a SQ1 connected through USB to my computer.
Syncing the Mother 32 directly from the SQ1 works perfectly fine, but when i send midi clock from my computer through to the SQ1, the SQ1 starts and works fine, but the Mother 32 stops getting time/tempo midi messages. The note and pitch bend still works fine so it's not a major problem, it only makes the on board sequencer unusable. Yes, i do understand that the DAW is a replacement for the sequencer, but it's very inspiring to work with the Mother 32 on board sequencer so it's a shame that i can't sync them.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

*Update*
Connecting my Mother 32 directly to my Midi Controller (Panorama P4) doesn't work either (gate/note/pitch works). Perhaps there's an issue with the DAW? In that case, where should i start troubleshooting?

Stevie Ray

Re: Mother 32 SQ1&Reason sync issue

Post by Stevie Ray » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:19 pm

Interesting. I have a couple of SQ-1s and they're great fun but results tend to be a bit variable when getting them to sync with anything other than each other or Volcas. I mostly use them as CV/Gate sequencers and use the sync in/out jacks rather than trying to sync over MIDI. I really haven't time yet to explore the MIDI sync capabilities with the Mothers but would be interested to hear how it works out for you if you crack the problem.

walkeracid

Post by walkeracid » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:20 pm

Look at "Preferences" and the tab that says "Sync" in Reason ;-) Then check the "MIDI clock sync" and set the "Input" and "Output". Then be sure that the box "Send MIDI clock while sequencer is stopped" is uncheck...........and you should be good to go :-)

thomaslilja

Post by thomaslilja » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:31 am

Stevie - Yeah, the SQ1 has some strange behaviors, but it's still great to use for CV conversion and CV send. You can do stuff like using an LFO (or a happy chain of LFO's) in your DAW to control filters and pitch on analogue gear etc. Great for sound effects!

walkeracid - I've missed the "Send MIDI clock while sequencer is stopped" check box. Will try it out at once!

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:44 pm

I'm using an SQ-1 as a MIDI to CV converter for my Voyager Old School. It works, but the Old School's CV/pitch tracking is whack. It's nowhere near 1V/Oct. Mine is something like 1.3V/Oct. I have to amplify the CV from the SQ-1 to get it to play in tune. Apparently Moog decided accurate external CV/pitch wasn't a priority on the VOS (see Sound-on-Sound review:- https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec08/ ... school.htm) :cry:

I'm making a precision voltage amp with a 10-turn pot just for the Old School in a small corner of my Eurorack - also a circuit to convert the rather hot 10V Korg gates to a more tolerable 5V for the Moogs.

walkeracid

Post by walkeracid » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:59 pm

thomaslilja wrote:Stevie - Yeah, the SQ1 has some strange behaviors, but it's still great to use for CV conversion and CV send. You can do stuff like using an LFO (or a happy chain of LFO's) in your DAW to control filters and pitch on analogue gear etc. Great for sound effects!

walkeracid - I've missed the "Send MIDI clock while sequencer is stopped" check box. Will try it out at once!
Well.....it works for me :-)

thomaslilja

Post by thomaslilja » Thu May 12, 2016 1:22 am

"At once" became several weeks later :D
It works! Thanks!

walkeracid

Post by walkeracid » Thu May 12, 2016 4:53 pm

thomaslilja wrote:"At once" became several weeks later :D
It works! Thanks!
You´re welcome :-)