New Werstatt owner questions about mods

Everything Werkstatt.
jasper_ryder

New Werstatt owner questions about mods

Post by jasper_ryder » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:08 pm

Hi All,
I picked up a Werkstatt with the CV expander board this week. I am thoroughly enjoying using it with my beatstep pro. I am not a an electrical modular wiz and am trying to understand more and more about synths and cv/gate. My question to you who know more is, I am considering doing these mods that are found here:
https://synthnerd.wordpress.com/categor ... werkstatt/

Now, I am having success with the beatstep pro sequencing the Werkstatt. Would these mods be a really good idea? Would they add a lot more fun/functionality? Should I do all of them or just some or one of them? If there is going to be a big difference I will happily dive in. If it will be minimal I don't want to start drilling holes in my sweet Werkstatt!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

grenert

Re: New Werstatt owner questions about mods

Post by grenert » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:59 pm

If it's working for you, I'd say keep having fun!
I will probably do the gate mod (the one you linked to - thanks! - or a different one), but only because the Korg SQ-1 doesn't work properly with the Werkstatt.
Some mods you might want to try are on the werkstattworkshop page. Some of those are really simple and can signicantly change the sound (like using the LFO as a VCO).
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

jasper_ryder

Post by jasper_ryder » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:52 pm

grenert wrote:If it's working for you, I'd say keep having fun!
I will probably do the gate mod (the one you linked to - thanks! - or a different one), but only because the Korg SQ-1 doesn't work properly with the Werkstatt.
Some mods you might want to try are on the werkstattworkshop page. Some of those are really simple and can signicantly change the sound (like using the LFO as a VCO).

I am having a good enough time at the moment so I won't be rushing into any mods. Thanks for the input!

nathanscribe

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:27 am

Hi guys. I'm the one responsible for the synthnerd blog, so feel free to ask any questions :)

I have a few more mods on the drawing board but life and other projects have intervened. I will post them when they're ready though. In the meantime I'll be posting some some simple DIY circuits you can build separately and link to the Werkstatt so you don't have to drill any holes.

Regarding the existing gate/cv/filter mods, I had varying success with different equipment, so these were a simple way to guarantee correct function.

The Werkstatt is a cracking little synth, jasper_ryder, hope you're enjoying it :D

jasper_ryder

Post by jasper_ryder » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:34 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Hi guys. I'm the one responsible for the synthnerd blog, so feel free to ask any questions :)

I have a few more mods on the drawing board but life and other projects have intervened. I will post them when they're ready though. In the meantime I'll be posting some some simple DIY circuits you can build separately and link to the Werkstatt so you don't have to drill any holes.

Regarding the existing gate/cv/filter mods, I had varying success with different equipment, so these were a simple way to guarantee correct function.

The Werkstatt is a cracking little synth, jasper_ryder, hope you're enjoying it :D
Hey nathanscribe (aka the synthnerd),

I'm finding the Werkstatt really really great. I think it was a steal for what I got it for, plus adding the cv expander. I'm having tons-o fun experimenting with the beatstep pro and different patches, so I am in no hurry to drill any holes now.

That said I am looking forward to seeing the external circuits you have mentioned.

The synthnerd site is great!

nathanscribe

Post by nathanscribe » Sun May 01, 2016 5:53 am

Of course if anyone has any mods they'd like to see, I'm happy to consider them.

davemoog

Post by davemoog » Sun May 01, 2016 8:47 pm

I think a VCO sync in would be nice.

grenert

Post by grenert » Sun May 01, 2016 11:00 pm

If you're taking requests, do you have any good ideas for what to do with the leftover OTA in the LM13700?
Your site has a lot of good information. Thank you for bringing it to our attention!
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

nathanscribe

Post by nathanscribe » Mon May 02, 2016 5:27 am

davemoog wrote:I think a VCO sync in would be nice.
Already on paper :)

nathanscribe

Post by nathanscribe » Mon May 02, 2016 5:28 am

grenert wrote:If you're taking requests, do you have any good ideas for what to do with the leftover OTA in the LM13700?
Your site has a lot of good information. Thank you for bringing it to our attention!
Good question. Will have a think.