Voyager XL TRS connections

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
macteacher

Voyager XL TRS connections

Post by macteacher » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:12 pm

Hi All,

Is it correct that the only TRS connections that exsist on the Voyager XL are the Headphone jack and the MIXER OUT/FILTER IN?

TRS is only mentioned for those two ports in the XL manual.

Are the expression pedal jacks not TRS?

thanks.

HookedOnSonics

Re: Voyager XL TRS connections

Post by HookedOnSonics » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:42 pm

Things that make me go hmmmmmm, well the Moog EXP-3 is sent with TRS cables. So it didn't dawn on us till ya pointed this out cause we don't have a moog/book diagram anywhere that shows what the EXP-3 should be plugged into on the XL. Feel like i'm having a damn Daniel moment
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

macteacher

Post by macteacher » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:53 pm

Thanks for your response.

The manual does state that these CV inputs can be used with an expression pedal if I'm reading it correctly.

Some of these are white ringed input jacks on the patch panel as they are on the CP-251.

The manual does mention that the EP-2 can be used which is a TRS connection.

Mod 1
Mod 2
LFO RATE
S&H IN
Top jacks of MULTS 1,2, AND 3
ENV RATE
OSC PITCH
OSC WAVE
FILTER CUTOFF
VCA VOLUME
VCA PAN
KBD PITCH
KBD WAVE
ATTENUATOR 1 AND 2
FOUR INPUT MIXER INPUTS 1 AND 2
LFO2 RATE

In order for these to work it's my understanding that they need to be TRS as you mentioned.

Of course if you plug in a TS to any of these ports from another source other than an expression pedal that needs power, you don't need power that would feed the Ring of the connector, and the patch will work.

Was this info just left out of the manual to avoid confusion or prevent someone from frying another piece of equipment or the XL if accidentally patching with a TRS?

thoughts?

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:19 pm

Anything that the Expression Pedal can be plugged into has to have a TRS jack. The jack will send out a small amount of voltage on the Ring and the pedal will return part or all of that voltage on the Tip. If you instead send a CV into that jack, it will just send that voltage to ground where it will be ignored and the incoming CV will be sent to the same place that the EP would be sending to (i.e. on the Tip).

So the headphone out is TRS because it's stereo (Left=Tip, Right=Ring, Sleeve=Ground). The MixerOut/FilterIn is TRS because it's an insert jack (Send=Tip, Return=Ring, Sleeve=Ground). All the red jacks on the back of the Voyager are TRS (Tip=Voltage In, Ring=Voltage Send, Sleeve=Ground) and work great with the EP-1, EP-2, or EP-3 Expression Pedal.

Stephen

macteacher

Post by macteacher » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:02 pm

thanks!