Concertmaster MG-1 Upgrade

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
n.senada

Concertmaster MG-1 Upgrade

Post by n.senada » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:41 pm

I'm looking into buying the moog mg-1 (the one made by RadioShack) and I was wondering if in the future I could upgrade some of the RadioShack components with Moog ones. RadioShack had some cheaper components and I figure that it can't be too hard to make it closer to the original MiniMoog. Any thoughts?

Nick Montoya

Post by Nick Montoya » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:30 pm

Hi...

Just to start this is in the Theremin forum.. Probably should be in the Moog discussion forum.. Anyway, what did you want to upgrade?.. The Mg1 was built by Moog Music (norlin days) and I don't think many Radio Shack (Tandy Corp) parts were used.. Depending on what you want to replace ,you might not find exact replacements. You can buy a slider and cosmetic cap kit on ebay... Includes all the sliders you need to replace the sliders in the MG1... I bought the kit for my ConcertMATE MG1 , works great..

In terms of getting it close to a Minimoog, you'd have to be a hell of a tech to do that. The MG1 is a unique little beast with some features the mini lacks. Not saying its a better sounding synth and certainly not as well built, but things like OSC sync and random shape modulation can really set this otherwise cheap monosynth apart from the others. Not to mention it has 5 tone generators, including a cheesy poly section that sounds cool through the real moog filter and maybe some delay or reverb post filter !

n.senada

Post by n.senada » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:33 pm

Thanks, I realized my-Theramin mistake right after I posted this.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:38 pm

Here's a MG-1 that has been converted into a desktop synth. Pretty neat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOOG-Realistic-Conc ... dZViewItem

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:10 pm

Lengai wrote:Here's a MG-1 that has been converted into a desktop synth. Pretty neat.

That's kind of cool, but why would you do that? Also, how the hell do you play it? I don't see any midi modifiactions.
-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:50 am

CV/Gate.

Basically connect another Moog or other synth that uses the same control voltage, and play it from there.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:02 pm

endocrine wrote:
Lengai wrote:Here's a MG-1 that has been converted into a desktop synth. Pretty neat.

That's kind of cool, but why would you do that? Also, how the hell do you play it? I don't see any midi modifiactions.
-Tyler2000-
Read the description....it sounds like he had an mg-1 with a smashed up keyboard (perhaps a bunch of broken keys) so he decided to just control it through a keyboard with CV/gate outputs...
the cheesy organ is now useless but at least it looks kinda interesting...

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:50 pm

Do they come with CV or was it installed? Sorry for being too lazy to read it for that info before.
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad