What Moog to get?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Gheddi

Re: What Moog to get?

Post by Gheddi » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:45 am

So I did some research and I think that I will go with the Sub 37. It's good, and I can still go with a Voyager XL when I'm adult, or with a normal Voyager. The main reason I will definitly buy the Sub 37 is that it's paraphonic. Not as good as polyphonic, but better than monophonic, like the Voyager and the XL is, because I think it would be a huge brake in playing this beautiful instrument freely. So anyways, maybe Moog releases a new version of the Memorymoog or some other polyphonic version of the moog, that will sure cost as much as the Voyager, but will be purchasable then, when I'm adult.
moog

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:09 pm

Little Phatty/Slim Phatty is 2 voice polyphonic. Just saying. Good luck.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:10 pm

EricK wrote:Little Phatty/Slim Phatty is 2 voice polyphonic. Just saying. Good luck.
I think that's incorrect. Monophonic.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:19 am

I mentioned in my previous post that the LP/SP combo could be had for around the price of the Sub. His rationale for getting the Sub was that it is paraphonic. So the 2-voice combo of the LP/SP would be superior to the S37 in that regard.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:23 am

EricK wrote:I mentioned in my previous post that the LP/SP combo could be had for around the price of the Sub. His rationale for getting the Sub was that it is paraphonic. So the 2-voice combo of the LP/SP would be superior to the S37 in that regard.
Got it. I must have missed that.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Gheddi

Post by Gheddi » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:45 pm

Alright I'm pretty upset again. I made some research and I came to the end that buying ANY Moog now is not a good idea. The SUB37 will probably get an upgraded version this or next year, and the Voyager is out of my range anyways. So I will just save up my money and if anything new is released by Moog in the future, I will get that. What I hope for is a mix between the Voyager and the MemoryMoog, or just a successor of the MemoryMoog. Anyways, at that time I will have more money in storage and can really choose between many options, and not just dream about what I can't afford.

I thank everybody here for your patience and help though, you really helped me out. But for the moment, I won't buy anything and will look how things develop. It could be that I raise enough money in the upcoming years to buy a Moog Voyager (if they're still around) and world would be fine. I actually saw a polyphonic version (selfmade) of the Moog Voyager and I realized that making it polyphonic also takes away something from the... you know... moogness. So anyway, thanks for everything, you can still leave tips here, but that's my statement for now! :mrgreen: :D :D
moog

dave808

Post by dave808 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:40 am

I don't know what Moog to get either, i thought about buying a second Minitaur or just a Sub Phatty, or be really silly and buy both!!

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:40 am

Both of you should just get a Mother-32...Not only is it the newest Moog, it's also very affordable. I can also confidently say that it is an incredible little synth, much more capable than it may appear on the surface. And I speak from a pretty decent amount of experience, considering I own a Voyager (with full CV expansion plus all 'foogers), a Sub-37, and have owned a Slim Phatty and a Minitaur recently.

Any keyboard with MIDI-out can be used to play the Mother like a normal desktop (a la Minitaur), only this desktop has 32 patch points that multiply its range of capability, not to mention a badass sequencer. Plus, it plays so well with other modules, including itself if you choose to expand. Three Mothers would give you as many voices as a Voyager at almost half the price...plus you can do it one piece at a time at your own financial pace.

I honestly still can't get over how much synth you get for your dollar with the Mother.

Oh, and pair it with a delay/reverb and it will give you ambient drones all day long. :D

(Also, I wouldn't wait around for a new Memorymoog or any other poly...look around the forum :lol: )

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:15 am

The "I can't afford either now.... I'll just wait for the poly synth" is kind of funny. Sure a Sub37 is 1500 and that's not cheap. And a voyager is 3k, not cheap either. IF Moog ever made any poly, and that a big IF, I'm guessing the price would be in $8,000-10,000 range.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:18 pm

Just get a sub 37.
I don't have evidence that they will upgrade to a different edition. Just a speculation.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:08 pm

EricK wrote:Just get a sub 37.
I don't have evidence that they will upgrade to a different edition. Just a speculation.
When they made the second version of Little Phatty, they added CV Outputs. It has been discussed at length, that just isn't possible with the sub37, I believe because of the digital modulation routing. So I don't really know what they could add. It already has a large keyboard. Just speculation, but maybe move to 4 voice paraphonic? Doubtful. My guess is if it's changed at all, it will loose the wooden sides in favor of black plastic, and maybe come down in price.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:12 pm

So much of what Moog has done has been repackaging existing products into different iterations.

Voyager>Select>Old School>Anniversary>RME>XL>Solid Gold
Murf>BassMurf>MidiMurf
PhattyTribute>Stage>Slim>Sub Phatty>Sub 37 Tribute Edition
T3>Minitaur
Werkstatt>Mother 32
EMMS>System55/35/15>Mother32

It stands to reason that with Moog using the term Edition there's going to be more additions.

Maybe a Sub 64 or something like that. This marketing scheme isn't unheard of (CoughROLANDCough)

Just speculation as I said....definitely not something to base a purchase decision on alone.

But you are right the sub won't have CV outs...there are no points on the boards for that. It's a damn shame too. Because at the time the Voyager was still being produced. Putting CV outs on the Sub would eliminate most of the advantages over the Voyager. But they promptly dc'd the voyager so I don't know anymore.

Eric

Gheddi

Post by Gheddi » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:49 pm

I have 4000€ in storage, that can be used when I'm 18. So if Moog releases a new flagship that is poly, i will get that. Otherwise I would just get the Voyager...
Anyways, if they release some better version of the Sub 37, maybe with a patchfield or something, more inputs for effects and pedals I will get that.
moog

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:46 am

Gheddi wrote:So everyone, I just made the choice that I will just save up some coin until I have enough for my Sub 37 (which will be around mid summer) and get it. Because it's reachable, it's good, and I can still buy bigger Moogs if I'm adult and can afford it. Sad that there's no black finish for the 37, cause I don't really like that bright wood on it. I would also go with darker wood (like the Voyager got). But anyway, I will go with the Sub 37. Maybe they will release a new edition of the Sub 37 until summer? I mean if theres a tribute edition, there must come more :o

Or should I still change my opinion and go for the Voyager :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The non Tribute edition will probable have black end panels, but we don't know when that will be released.
You could probably pop the wood ends off the sub 37, sand then down, stain black, and refinish them if you really wanted to.
Voyager XL, Minitaur, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103,
MF-105m, MF-107, MF-108m, MP-201
Thomas Monticello 371 with Moog preset Synthesizer