Distortion pedal for sub37

Everything Sub.
vinnyburns

Re: Distortion pedal for sub37

Post by vinnyburns » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:10 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:
vinnyburns wrote:If you want a really nice distortion, the Suhr Riot would be top of my list. I am a guitarist. Big Muff's can be harsh and grainy. I would go more upmarket.
I agree for the most part. I would never consider ANY distortion pedal that didn't have a blend knob. And not too sound too snotty, but unless you have tried a specific pedal with a synth, don't recommend it. You may have used the Suhr Riot on a Moog and are speaking from experience, in which case it should be added to the thread about pedals, in the general section. But if you haven't, and are just speculating because it works well with guitar, it MIGHT sound horrible with synths. For instance, the boss DS-1 is regarded as a dog bleep pedal buy most guitarists, but it actually sounds great on drum machines. And the Sovtek-style Big Muffs that most guitarists cherish, sound a bit rubbish on synths because the can't cover the entire frequency range of the synth, or the cut too much bass or mids.

Again, if you have first hand experience with the Riot on a Moog, let us know. I think the whole concept of recommending, or asking for recommendations on a distortion pedal to be difficult. Everything sounds different to different people, and everyone has a different ideal for their own sound.

Wow, you have a lot of assumption and opinions. I don't have to justify anything to you.

robbd

Post by robbd » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:37 am

vinnyburns wrote:
jsharpphoto wrote:
vinnyburns wrote:If you want a really nice distortion, the Suhr Riot would be top of my list. I am a guitarist. Big Muff's can be harsh and grainy. I would go more upmarket.
I agree for the most part. I would never consider ANY distortion pedal that didn't have a blend knob. And not too sound too snotty, but unless you have tried a specific pedal with a synth, don't recommend it. You may have used the Suhr Riot on a Moog and are speaking from experience, in which case it should be added to the thread about pedals, in the general section. But if you haven't, and are just speculating because it works well with guitar, it MIGHT sound horrible with synths. For instance, the boss DS-1 is regarded as a dog bleep pedal buy most guitarists, but it actually sounds great on drum machines. And the Sovtek-style Big Muffs that most guitarists cherish, sound a bit rubbish on synths because the can't cover the entire frequency range of the synth, or the cut too much bass or mids.

Again, if you have first hand experience with the Riot on a Moog, let us know. I think the whole concept of recommending, or asking for recommendations on a distortion pedal to be difficult. Everything sounds different to different people, and everyone has a different ideal for their own sound.

Wow, you have a lot of assumption and opinions. I don't have to justify anything to you.

Since your irony sensor seems to be on the fritz, I should point out that you are assuming AND opining the usefullness of a Suhr Riot pedal.

".........but unless you have tried a specific pedal with a synth, don't recommend it.....
.........if you haven't, and are just speculating because it works well with guitar, it MIGHT sound horrible with synths.......
.........if you have first hand experience with the Riot on a Moog, let us know...."

On the other hand, this is some of the best advice I've read here. If people would post what they KNOW as opposed to what they ASSUME the signal to noise ratio would improve dramatically.

muleskinner

Post by muleskinner » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:46 pm

I've tried a lot of distortion pedals out with synths.

IMO the ones that work best tend to be 'fuzz' type pedals like the aforementioned Big Muff rather than 'distortion' type pedals like the DS-1 or whatever. Of course YMMV.

I really like my Barker Assmaster on synths but this is an expensive pedal. Too expensive for what it is really - I reckon the Deluxe Bass Big Muff would give you a lot more bang for your buck and seems to sound pretty similar at some settings. Recently bought a Fat Fuzz Factory and that can sound great but it's pretty extreme (and no blend knob).

The thing I get the most use and enjoyment out of by far (paired with the Sub 37) is the Sherman Filterbank. I'm gonna get one of those Waldorf 2-Pole boxes definitely as it looks like it'll be a great addition to the arsenal.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:06 pm

The Riot sounds like a good amp. Yes I have tried it. Where did I say I had not tried it? I have assumed nothing.
You can see my Suhr Riot on the top row next to the ADA Flanger. Got rid of a lot of these pedals now since I got my Axefx XL. I still have the Riot (although that is also modelled in the Axefx). I always have it in my gig bag.

ImageStudio Pedals by Vinny Burns, on Flickr

And, if I want to plug anything into an amp, here are a few in my studio live room.

ImageReady for first Three Lions rehearsal by Vinny Burns, on Flickr

muleskinner

Post by muleskinner » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:42 am

vinnyburns wrote:Got rid of a lot of these pedals now since I got my Axefx XL.
Fantastic bit of gear isn't it? I have the original 2 (not the XL) - I think it's probably the best gear purchase I ever made excluding actual guitars.

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:29 am

muleskinner wrote:
vinnyburns wrote:Got rid of a lot of these pedals now since I got my Axefx XL.
Fantastic bit of gear isn't it? I have the original 2 (not the XL) - I think it's probably the best gear purchase I ever made excluding actual guitars.
Yes, it is very very good. Just got the AX8 too. Not as powerful as the Axefx but hopefully, I can use it for some of our festival dates this year if I am careful with the programming :-)
I am using the Axe for gigs at the moment. Straight to FOH and monitors. No backline. Just a couple of whatever cabs they have lying around to put my flightcase on haha.
Attachments
swedenrock 2.jpg

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:05 am

vinnyburns wrote:The Riot sounds like a good amp. Yes I have tried it. Where did I say I had not tried it? I have assumed nothing.
I meant have you tried it with a synth, specifically any of the phattys.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:09 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:
vinnyburns wrote:The Riot sounds like a good amp. Yes I have tried it. Where did I say I had not tried it? I have assumed nothing.
..... And I meant Yes, I have tried it with a synth. That is what i was referring to above...... And, yes, it was a Sub 37. That is why I posted it in here.........

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:50 pm

vinnyburns wrote:
jsharpphoto wrote:
..... And I meant Yes, I have tried it with a synth. That is what i was referring to above...... And, yes, it was a Sub 37. That is why I posted it in here.........
Sorry, but in all of the photos you posted, I see lots of guitars and amps and drums, but I didn't see any synths. Some people browse the forum by "unread posts" which doesn't classify them by subcategory.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:48 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:
vinnyburns wrote:
jsharpphoto wrote:
Sorry, but in all of the photos you posted, I see lots of guitars and amps and drums, but I didn't see any synths. Some people browse the forum by "unread posts" which doesn't classify them by subcategory.
I didn't realise I had to post photos of my keyboards to reply to a post :-)
My keyboards are mostly used in my small studio control room. The shots I already posted were from my live room. Here are my Sub37 and Prophet 08.

ImageSub 37 and Prophet 08 iPhone by Vinny Burns, on Flickr

Here is the Sub37 the day it arrived in Nov 2014 with my dearly departed Rosie (one of my irish Setters)

ImageSub 37 and Rosie iPhone shot by Vinny Burns, on Flickr

I also have a Nord Electro 5, Emu E4K and E4XT Ultra in my studio. The Emus are not used anymore. The Nord spends a lot of it's time setup through a PA in the live room though for writing.
Below the Blofeld and the Integra 7 is my Moog Minitaur.
Attachments
IMG_0219.JPG

Connoissaurus

Post by Connoissaurus » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:51 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:Bass Big Muff Pi Deluxe.

It has a blend knob to mix the dry signal, a gate to limit the hum, and a crossover. The crossover will send the distortion through a high pass, and the dry signal through a low pass, each with its own cutoff. And the crossover is activated by its own switch.

It's like $130. It's crazy how flexible it is, especially for something from the Muff lineup.

AND. it has a buffered dry output, which you can send back into the audio input to further drive the filter.
Pretty much came to post this. I got one over a month ago and I love it. The blend knob is really great.
Moog Sub 37 | Win7 Pro 64-bit | Cubase 5.5.3 | MOTU Ultralite mk3

muleskinner

Post by muleskinner » Fri May 06, 2016 1:13 pm

Just got the Waldorf 2-Pole.

It's really is an awesome little box - thanks for the tip! Several distortion options plus the filter (obviously) and with the envelope follower you can use it like a gate as well. I've just been completely screwing up some vocals with it (mwa-ha-ha) but it sounds great with the Sub 37 as well, high pass and band pass can really make Subby scream.